So I just read something interesting about the A's and Giants...

on Wikipedia:

"It is generally acceptable in Northern California (unlike in other two-franchise baseball markets like New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago) to identifyoneself as a fan of both baseball teams." (from A's Wiki page)

Now, I don't know about the rest of the Bay Area heads here, but I actually do know someone who likes both, and it is frowned upon by ALL of my friends.

Do you guys see this support for both teams with a lot of people?

yeah, that statement is partly true. You also have to remember that the only real history those teams have against each other is the 89 WS (which for me, isenough to cement my dislike for the A's
mad.gif
). The worse are the ones whostill rock the split A's /Giants hat
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by EZLN1

yeah, that statement is partly true. You also have to remember that the only real history those teams have against each other is the 89 WS (which for me, is enough to cement my dislike for the A's
mad.gif
). The worse are the ones who still rock the split A's /Giants hat
indifferent.gif
Ha, how about the people who have the opposite colors on each hat (A's in black/orange, Giants in green/gold)?

The friend I mentioned in the original post has those, it's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

sf fitteds w/ the a's colorway is
pimp.gif
though.

yeah it is...but I just cant bring myself to buy the hat. There are certain colorways that are a no-no for me, and that's one of them

im a fan of all the teams in the bay area, even though they all suck :shrugs
but then again, i did do some work which involved covering bay area sports

maybe i should start watching hockey

pimp.gif
though.

yeah it is...but I just cant bring myself to buy the hat. There are certain colorways that are a no-no for me, and that's one of them
Oh yeah, believe me, I'd never buy an A's hat with a Giants colorway. There's just no way.

pimp.gif
though.

I have that hat.

I bought it because my son was on the A's in Little League, but I couldn't bring myself to wear an A's hat to his games.

I don't know about the whole"it's generally acceptable to like both teams" thing. I never thought that to be the case. Do I know peoplelike that? Sure. But they aren't what you'd refer to "hardcore" fans of either team. They're usually just casual baseball fans thatenjoy watching/following baseball. Here's the difference:

"Aw man, I watched the Giants play yesterday and it was a great game." vs. "I see Travis Ishikawa isn't showing the power that they werehoping for. Hopefully he can find his stroke."

I mean, it's even less likely to find someone that likes the Raiders and the 49ers.

I mean, it's clear that sports plays a different role here on the West Coast than it does anywhere else. We may be hardcore, but we're generally notfanatical.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I mean, it's clear that sports plays a different role here on the West Coast than it does anywhere else. We may be hardcore, but we're generally not fanatical.
I would even take it a step further and say that the Bay Area exclusively fits that bill, at least when it comes to baseball.

In LA, there seems to be a strict divide between Angels and Dodgers fans. I've never heard of someone supporting both before.

I like the Giants and 49ers too, but I don't follow them to the extent I do with my beloved A's and Raiders.

Hate the Niners. Love the Raiders. Love the A's. Love Barry Bonds, Meh on the Giants.

I will say I rooted for them against the Angels in the World Series.

*Singletary* Can't do it.....

I can never seeing myself cheering for the Raiders. The A's, it's more of an indifference. If they do well, then cool! But i'm not going to actlike i'm a hardcore fan and start showing up to their games just because they're winning.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I mean, it's clear that sports plays a different role here on the West Coast than it does anywhere else. We may be hardcore, but we're generally not fanatical.

ddf1694dd90fe64ce6c984840b25f5895948143a.pjpg

ddc36c5a48eed3de0c12e31a4cfbe2111930118a.pjpg

87116945df06e849ec7d863aa6c583127d456190.pjpg

6ac16348d703ed4aeecd31548e164957ab087272.gif

So, the fanbase of one team is enough to discredit my generalization?

Raiders fans still pale in comparison to those in cities like Philly, New York, Boston, etc.

Sports fanaticism is completely different on the East coast than it is here on the West.

*sigh* Do you, I guess.

Damn till today I never thought about FB and baseball having 2 teams in that region. So what would you say is more popular now?

49ers or Raiders

My dad watches both teams. I TRACK both teams, but I DON'T like the Raiders/Giants.

I'm definitely a Niners/A's fan.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Damn till today I never thought about FB and baseball having 2 teams in that region. So what would you say is more popular now?

49ers or Raiders
In terms of ticket sales, definitely the San Francisco teams. Rarely get blacked out. But the Raider fan base is allover California.

its like that here in the bay...especially with the raiders and niners...its a sin to like both teams

although a lot of heads here like the niners and like the a's...or vice versa...i love the niners and the a's and i hate the raiders and giants

Back
Top Bottom