So I saved a life..

through National Marrow Donor Program / Asian American Donor Program.
I signed up during spring for my organization's marrow drive on campus. I got a call in the summer, surprisingly I was a match. Went through all the paperwork/ blood work/ physicals/urine tests/ etc. Just a couple days ago they injected me with filgrastim to increase my platelet count. And finally..yesterday,had me hooked on machine for a good 5 hours, and they took out all the blood stem cells for the recipient. This whole process has been life changing for me andI hope my recipient (a 34 y/o with non-hodgkins lymphoma) will continue to live a good and healthy life.

Cliff notes
- signed up for bone marrow donation
- got a call during summer
- did all the tests
- donated yesterday (peripheral blood stem cell donation)
- 34 y/o w/ nonhodgkins lymphoma
- you should sign up too

Be the one to save a life
http://www.marrow.org/
http://www.aadp.org

Just a little bit of info.. in case you didn't know, the registry for minority donors is particularly low. So when another minority is affected by leukemiaor other blood disorders, their chances of finding a match are really low.
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[h1]How to Register[/h1]View this site in other languages
Spanish | Vietnamese | Chinese | Korean

Video of Registration Process

Donor Eligibility
In order to be a donor, you must:

~ Be the ages of 18-60
~ Have no serious, ongoing lower back problems
~ Be in good general health

Requirements to be a marrow donor are different from those to be a blood donor. Click Here for a list of COMMON MEDICAL ISSUES

Where do I register?
You can register in one of three ways:

1.) Visit a local drive near you. Check our CALENDAR for a list of drives.

2.) Call or e-mail AADP for a HOME-TEST KIT if you cannot attend a drive. We will ask you a series of questions, and then send you a kit if you still qualify. Kits are fully funded through a special grant for anyone of all or partial ethnic minority descent. Click on the video link above to view the donor registration process.

3.) Visit our office in Alameda (address on bottom of page) or a local donor center in Stanford, Oakland, or Sacramento, to register in person. Appointments must be made beforehand.

For Southern California, visit A3M,
For New York, visit Cammy Lee Leukemia Foundation, or South Asian Marrow Assoc. of Recruiters,

For other parts of the U.S., visit marrow.org,

Information you need on your consent form:
On your consent form you will need to provide:

1.) Your general information including your SS No. OR Driver's License No.

2.) The information of two contacts (friends or relatives) who do not live with you and who do not live with each other.

http://www.aadp.org/pages/main.php?pageid=16&pagecategory=5linky

Props OP.

good job sir
pimp.gif

That's amazing. Congratulations and I hope you're rewarded in the end for your good deeds. It's not as simple as donating blood and because of thisthere is a low supply of marrow for those in need.

Thanks everyone! and ^ nah, really it was just a bunch of needles. First couple were for shots to get filgrastim in the system, and the actual procedure wasjust 2 needles in my veins for a couple hours drawing out the blood stem cells. They did ask me if I felt pain in my bones (which was from filgrastim,basically it creates excess blood stem cells and gets pushed out of the bones into the blood).
As for actual bone marrow, I hear they do that through your hip.

Kudos to u sir. Not many are brave enough to go through all that for a complete stranger. Props
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Lil Cao

Thanks everyone! and ^ nah, really it was just a bunch of needles. First couple were for shots to get filgrastim in the system, and the actual procedure was just 2 needles in my veins for a couple hours drawing out the blood stem cells. They did ask me if I felt pain in my bones (which was from filgrastim, basically it creates excess blood stem cells and gets pushed out of the bones into the blood).
As for actual bone marrow, I hear they do that through your hip.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]PASS.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But props to you[/color]
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Good mam. Do they compensate you for this? Just asking
Man* haha. Anyways, they compensate for all the meals, gas, transportation, etc.

that's awesome man. takes a certain kind of dude to do something like that. maybe you will get to meet that person you helped out someday. i'm suretheir family is grateful for what you did.

smokin.gif

When I think of a Bone Marrow operations, I think of them sticking a needle into your spine. From what I've seen it's REALLY painful. However, You onlyhad the needles go through your veins? I'm confused.

Nonetheless, Major props.

^ Let's just say I was confused too. Basically I was given a drug that would increase my platelet count (in the bones). It would create so much that itwould get pushed out of my bones into my blood stream. That way, fresh stem cells are created, and they were collected through my veins.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom