So i tried to get my record expunged

and guess what...my name ends up in the paper

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson fears 'chaos' as court merger kayoed[/h1]

alg_court_johnson.jpg

Simmons/News
Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson plans to seek a stay that would stop a parade of cons from flooding the courts with motions to get their old cases cleared.

Thousands of misdemeanor convictions in the Bronx are in doubt after an appeals court ruled that the merger of the borough's Criminal and Supreme courts was unconstitutional.

Prosecutors immediately vowed to appeal Tuesday's decision by the Appellate Division, the state's second-highest court.

"Today's decision ... will likely lead to chaos, at least in the short term," Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said.

He planned to seek a stay that would stop a parade of cons from flooding the courts with motions to get their old cases cleared.

His office also was working to adjourn pending cases until there was a final resolution.

He called the timing of the decision bizarre since another challenge to the merger is already before the Court of Appeals, the state's highest court.

Then-Chief Judge Judith Kaye merged the Bronx Criminal and Supreme courts in 2004, hoping to streamline clogged courtrooms.

Represented by Legal Aid, Edgar Correa - a Bronx man sentenced to 15 days after a second-degree harassment conviction - challenged the move.

The Appellate Division said that only the state Legislature - not Kaye - had the authority to merge the courts.

That meant the judge who sentenced Correa didn't actually have the right to do so and the conviction was thrown out.

One appellate judge, in a dissenting opinion, suggested an avalanche could follow.

Justice Rolando Acosta said his fellow justices demonstrated "unbridled judicial activism" that "effectively upends tens of thousands of misdemeanor convictions."

And that, he said, could wreak "havoc not only in Bronx County, but numerous courtrooms across the state."

Even before yesterday's ruling, the merged courthouse had its detractors, with judges arguing it would create problems rather than solve them.

Last October, the Daily News highlighted the backlog of cases afflicting the Bronx court system. The merger had led to a 42% drop in the number of felony trials in five years.

State court officials acknowledged last fall that the merger was far from perfect and pledged to assign more judges to the Bronx.

can they do this?

Represented by Legal Aid, Edgar Correa - a Bronx man sentenced to 15 days after a second-degree harassment conviction - challenged the move.
What did you do?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

[h1][/h1]
Edgar Correa - a Bronx man sentenced to 15 days after a second-degree harassment conviction - challenged the move.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Why are you harassing people though? [/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

[h1][/h1]
Edgar Correa - a Bronx man sentenced to 15 days after a second-degree harassment conviction - challenged the move.
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

I didn't
laugh.gif

some dude got out my pocket with my mother so i put a mean hurting on him.

i got hit with 5 charges, 3 were dropped, 2 sticked.

[h1][/h1]
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I didn't
laugh.gif

roll.gif
pimp.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That's how you gotta do it.. I applaud your actions[/color]

If you have the funds and resources I'd go the civil suit route and ask for a good chunk of money for defamation and using your story with out permission when in return what you'll probably get is your convictions sealed which is all you wanted in the first place
pimp.gif

[h1][/h1]
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I didn't
laugh.gif

roll.gif
pimp.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That's how you gotta do it.. I applaud your actions[/color]

Originally Posted by REALTALKAZ

If you have the funds and resources I'd go the civil suit route and ask for a good chunk of money for defamation and using your story with out permission when in return what you'll probably get is your convictions sealed which is all you wanted in the first place
pimp.gif
how much would something like that cost?

[h1][/h1]
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I didn't
laugh.gif

This type of behavior should be awarded

pimp.gif
how much would something like that cost?
it really depends all you really need to do is be lawyered up any respectable lawyer will know how to play it the right way.... the judge would most likely rule in your favor with out going to trial it will just be another hassle to get out the way since they have already put your name out their like that ...making it harder for you to gain employment and support yourself...the ball is really in your court on this one

[h1][/h1]
Why are you harassing people though?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I didn't
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 damn 5 charges? what you do to him?

pimp.gif

eyes.gif
laugh.gif

Heh funny this comes up, I'm actually taking a political science class on the right to privacy. But yeah unfortunately you wouldn't be able to sue for defamation because the issue mentioned by the paper is in fact true and available to the public therefore allowing it to be printed...sucks but eh, got your 15 minutes of fame
pimp.gif

[h1][/h1]
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I didn't
laugh.gif

goodfellas7.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

[h1][/h1]
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I didn't
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 damn 5 charges? what you do to him?

hit him over the head with a frying pan

the bulk of the charges were stupid so they were dropped..

wait, why was your name in the paper? looks like they just threw your name in there just for kicks.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Ask HOVKid if he'd do it for free. I'm pretty sure this isn't his field though.
he's a corporate lawyer

Originally Posted by doosta45

wait, why was your name in the paper? looks like they just threw your name in there just for kicks.
I have no idea

i guess as an example? I don't like the fact that my name is there though
eyes.gif

For no good reason at all, I know way too much about working to get a record expunged.  If anything, I'd just let it slide.  Hopefully your public defender can use that to your advantage, so long as you have been keeping your nose clean since you got in trouble.

And good looks on looking out for mom, too... Just try not to get so physical next time.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom