So, I would like to design shoes for NIKE or Jordan Brand

But, my major is architecture. I know that Tinker Hatfield was an architectural major in college but that was back in the day. This day-in-age, things areprobably a lil different. I do draw shoes on the side as well as drawings for architecture but my man goal in life was to be a shoe or clothing designer. Whatdoes it take to become a designer for a big corporation like Nike? Also, what are the salaries for for most shoe designers? I know most architects start atabout 80K+. Thanks guys!

Im pretty sure an Industrial Engineering degree would come in handy.

Maybe even a degree in Graphic Design, but i dont know, i have a design degree and i have my doubts that it'd be real useful in the footwear design world.

The degree you need is a Bachelors in Industrial Design. From searching Ive found out that a limited number of schools offer the program. ut if you are seriousabout it go for it. I'm going to be obtaining that degree in the future as well. Good Luck with everything.

P.S. I've always been curious as to what Industrial Designers make salary wise but Ive never found out. But I guess if you have a passion for whatyou're doing the money will come.

architects start at a lot less than 80k as fas as i know. unless you own your own firm you won't be making that much.

and you wanna go for industrial design. mostly art schools offer it, but i'm in the program at ASU and so far its been a lot of fun. check out core77.comand you can get some more info

Originally Posted by numbah1grimey

But, my major is architecture. I know that Tinker Hatfield was an architectural major in college but that was back in the day. This day-in-age, things are probably a lil different. I do draw shoes on the side as well as drawings for architecture but my man goal in life was to be a shoe or clothing designer. What does it take to become a designer for a big corporation like Nike? Also, what are the salaries for for most shoe designers? I know most architects start at about 80K+. Thanks guys!

You might want to hit up NikeBiz and look up their qualifications.

Malakye.com

i know its not nike, but alot of Skate Companies are looking for footwear designers. Also I remember alot of people asking about getting a job at LRG for somereason. This website has all you need.

I think you'd prolly wanna get a degree in whateevr it is that proves you're extremely proficient 3-D graphics and models

^ well at least you're shooting for the stars.

To the post starter, I'd imagine it to be a bit easier to get into shoe design for a different vendor and then using that experience on your resume whenyou apply for a Nike position. It's not impossible, but rather unlikely, for a company like Nike to hire designers fresh out of school. If you'rereally good at shoe design, post stuff on here. I remember one guy who put up renderings and some shoe company took the idea... could get your name out.

One of my best friends designs for Nike(Hes a Niketalker but rarely posts anymore Alphaproject),he got his degree in industrial design from NC State but yabetter get your skills up because the competition is tough.Portfolio better be on point.

take-a-number-bxp51780.jpg

Also, theres basically no chance that your first job as a shoe designer will be at nike. Im pretty sure i heard that they just will not hire designers with noexperience.

Pretty sure Alphaprohect worked at Fila first, then went on to Nike.

To the post starter, I'd imagine it to be a bit easier to get into shoe design for a different vendor and then using that experience on your resume when you apply for a Nike position. It's not impossible, but rather unlikely, for a company like Nike to hire designers fresh out of school. If you're really good at shoe design, post stuff on here. I remember one guy who put up renderings and some shoe company took the idea... could get your name out.
Yep, I'd say most of Nikes footwear designers go to other shoe companies first, and some just have a lot of design experience. Very few getinto Nike their 1st time around, you may be able to get in designing accesories and crap, but even then you'd need some experience.

i'm pretty sure Nike requires that you have at least 3 years experience designing with another company. if you get into industrial design, that qualifiesyou to design anything from lightswitches to pill bottles to cars. you could end up working just about anywhere. check out nikebiz, it has the qualifications,then if you check out core77.com there's a list of every school that offers industrial design

Back
Top Bottom