So I'm looking for an engagement ring...

my girl and i have been together for 6 years and i can truly say she's my ride or die chick. she's been with me in my lowest times and she my brokest times. i can honestly say that i can't wait to wake up to her every morning. now what i need are some spots around the bay that i can take a look at engagement rings. I want to ask my gf to marry me around the middle of next year and i want to do some research now... my budget is around $6K. Is that good enough?

Thanks for the help guys.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Belinelli - Biedrins - Croshere - Davis - Ellis
Harrington - Jackson - Jasikevicius - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright
T.G.I.F.- Thank God I'm Filipino

Congrats my dude. But I wouldn't know anything about buying engagement rings. I think 6k is good. I just did a quick search on www.kay.com for Wedding/Engagement Rings and most of the stuff there is about 6k. The most expensive was 13k. But for the most part, it was around 6k or under.

Good luck.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Harrington - Jackson - Jasikevicius - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

Yeah you set... just go into kays and they well do you right .... The always have great prices to me and cut the prices even lower. Just get in good with the staff and youll get that good discount.

****WANTED ALL DS SIZE 12....
WHITE MELVINS
IX COOL GREY
XV.. BLACK/RED XVI.. BLACK/RRD
XIX... BLACK/RRED

congrats!

6K is a good budget.

Don't mess with them mall jewelers though.

Take yourself to an independent type jewelry spot. What you want to do is buy a loose diamond and then work on the setting from there. Buying a preset ring doesn't allow you to fully examine the rock!

I did business with Joe Escobar's in San Jose and was quite pleased (as was the wifey).

Definitely do your research on the C's. Learn how to view a diamond through the scope.

Let me know when you want to go get the ring. I can get you into the Jewelry Center (SF) and you can buy at wholesale prices.

Jewelery Mart is the way to go..I got my wife her ring there. Quality was very good and the price was excellent

My advice.... DON'T DO IT!!!!

LOLOL J/K.... Congrats man... check out www.jewelryexchange.com/ Their prices seem pretty good for decent quality stuff... Good luck...
You say I'm not The "E"??? You wanna make a bet???

Quote:
My advice.... DON'T DO IT!!!!
:tongue:
tongue.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"
Seize every opportunity to educate yourself.....STOP. Look. Listen.

yes, chix get wet over them lil blue boxes. if any of y'all ever eff up real bad and need a "lil" band aid to get back in the house, bedroom or the constipated look/modd off your girl, just head down to tiffany. be forewarned, once you open up that can of worm$, it's a wrap tho. you'll have to keep coming thru w/bigger & better kiss ups, so use that only as your LAST resorts real occasionally. :lol:
laugh.gif

but, seriously, you can get just as nice rings & stones from the jewlery mart and private jewlers if you know what you're doing and where to go. the Tiffany name/quality control, and status are great, but needless to say, all of that comes w/a price.
i've never been married, and haven't shopped for rocks+such myself, but plenty of my buds are shackled. a few purchased wifey's engagement+wedding shinekits from tiffany, but the majority went the privateer route. no complaints from either camps (expcept from the greedy mofo-ette$ that wanted bigger rocks) :rolleyes
eyes.gif
the majority of the dudes that went to non-chain jewelers or the jewelry mart are anal as hell and always do their homework+then some tho.

fwiw, one of my best dudes got his wife's 1.5 carat rock from a dealer at the jewelry mart and had a fam friend jeweler make the band and set it. at another one of our boy's weddings, our recently married homegirl (his HS ex) showed up w/her 2 carat Tiffany. As usual, chicks flocked around when they saw the shines, and.........well, long story short, my boy's girl broke more necks w/her 1.5 cara than our homegirl w/the 2 ct.

to reiterate......do your homework + know your stuff + get some references/shop around. you can do just fine on your own.

btw, jc, not to play spelling cop, but yours is worsur than MR HELLA HANDSOME's! next time you head down to jade galore, maybe you can score g-ma a celeb discount. i don't think those guys know who dj am is tho. :lol:
laugh.gif
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"
Seize every opportunity to educate yourself.....STOP. Look. Listen.

Do NOT go to Kays or the Jewelry Exchange... And stay away from mall stores and stores which have multiple locations.
I just got engaged earlier this year (and actually getting married in 6 days)..
I spend $6500 on a ring, but i could have easily spent less...

I bought the ring at Steiner's Jewelers in San Mateo.
The service is amazing and it's locally owned and they'll treat you well.
Ask for Michael, he's the owner's son which has recently taken over the business. Tell em i sent you, see if that helps..
www.steinersjewelry.com/
Turf Shoes Bay Area
Self Edge San Francisco

All I can say is, do your homework man. I just got engaged this weekend and buying the ring was a very "educational" experience.

Looking @ buying a ring should not be brushed off as something you can do on a Saturday afternoon (most likely 3-4 Saturdays). What diamond, cut, setting, are you looking at? Does she know it's "coming"? Platinum or white gold? 14kt or 18kt?

These are just some of the things you're gonna have to know. Educate yourself (google "engagement rings") on the terms like clarity, grade, & color so when you finally go look @ diamonds and settings, it won't be so overwhelming and confusing.

Personally, I spent the exact amount as you- $6K. And I was really impressed on what I got. Better than anything I could see at any mall or chinatown store (no diss)- AND I was able to "design/customize" it to my liking. I'd recommend going to the Gift Center on Brannan St. Stroll through the building and check all the vendors- some are snobby, some are very welcoming. Remember, $6K is alot of money and you want to make sure you have no doubts about what your purchasing. Good luck, man! I got a lot more important info, so holla if you need it.

I just wanna say thanks to everybody for all their input. I appreciate it alot... Here's the ring I want to go for, this is cool right?
I don't want anything "bling-bling" or something that makes me look cheap- i want to get her a ring that i think she deserves for putting up with me for the past 6 years.

The diamond is a round princess-cut. I don't know if i want the total weight of the diamonds to be 1ct. or the main stone to be 1ct - remember, the ring has stones on the side. I'm getting a white gold band, most likely 18K but if i can get 24k then that's cool too. I don't want plantinum because that gets dirty easier than the white gold and it bends easier than white gold too. If you can't really tell the difference between the two, then why go for the platinum- right?

I have a buddy who had his own jewelry store (not anymore tho) but he kept contact with his peeps. He says he can get me the rock but i still have to do my HW.

Are there any places where i can just buy the setting?

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

^^^ yeah man... NT can really be a helpful place...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Quote:
Definitely do your research on the C's. Learn how to view a diamond through the scope.

***SELLING 90s hip hop vinyl and DJ equipment. Contact me if interested!***

One thing you should do is somehow try to find out what kind of style SHE LIKES!!! Not all girls like round diamonds and so on. She's the one that has to look at it everyday and you want to make her as happy as possible, you know what i mean???

You are right on the White Gold unless she is allergic to it... Yes some people are allergic to White Gold but not to Platinum... Just something to think about...

As stated above... take your time, don;t buy the first thing you see. Shop around and some smaller shops are nicer because you can get a 1 of a kind custom ring for the same price as a mall store... those mall stores are for suckers!!!!

I still say DON'T DO IT!!! LOLOL J/K... Congrats again and when it's time to plan the bachelor party come back here and ask for advice again... We won't let you go out like no sucker!!! HAHAHA!!!!!
You say I'm not The "E"??? You wanna make a bet???

^ ^ ^ Forreals! Make sure you know what style diamond AND setting she likes. With me, the setting was very important seeing as every setting I see nowadays is the usual 3-prong; kinda old fashioned. Ask to see a half-bezel setting.

Also, platinum is unnecessary- just a unnecessary waste of $600-$1000. No one can tell. 24kt will scratch alot easier than 18/14 kt.

pretty much all independent jewelers sell settings only (they obviously will also try to get you to buy your stone from them as well)

as others said, make sure you know what type of cut she likes and what kind of setting/metal she is down with...

here's a pic of my wifey's ring from temp. setting (i wanted her to choose what she wanted, i had some ideas and i was close with the one she went with) to final setting...

once again...congrats and good luck!!

So should i just get it put in a temporaty setting first? then let her choose what setting she likes after i propose?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

that's one option...can be considered the safe route ensuring she gets what she wants...

others would (and have said) that she will love whatever you choose for her (all that sentimental @#%$)...

still others will say as long as the rock is on point she won't care about the setting...

you know your lady...(as i knew mine)...if she is the type that is picky about certain things...do the temp setting...

If anything, you should pick the diamond and have her pick out the setting. After all the HW, most jewelers will make a wax setting to the specifications of the size of the diamond and size of your girl's finger- unless you already know. Once you approve the wax setting, the jeweler will go ahead and make the "final" product.

Back
Top Bottom