So is graduating with a low GPA the end of your life?

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by Furrell

What school with a good reputation would take someone with a low GPA especially when they put so much emphasis on their statistics? It doesn't mean that they are a bad student because doing poor in a couple classes can wreck your GPA. Why would you rack up debt going to a lower end school though? Your law degree/MBA from Northwestern Oklahoma State is worthless.
To answer your question: many schools. GPA is only one criteria in the admissions process. Test scores, recommendations, statement of purpose, work experience, etc. count a lot.

The more difficult problem is finding someone (much less three people) to write a good recommendation when you are a 2.0 student.

Schools only care about statistics. GPA and standardized tests are all that matter. B/c that's what determines their ranking, increases their funds, etc. The only time your damn personal statement or other bs actually matters is if you legitimately have a UNIQUE story to tell or you're neck and neck with another student and they need something to break a tie. 
That is definitely not true.

Your Personal statement/statement of purpose are extremely important to many programs, particularly in the humanities.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

What school with a good reputation would take someone with a low GPA especially when they put so much emphasis on their statistics? It doesn't mean that they are a bad student because doing poor in a couple classes can wreck your GPA. Why would you rack up debt going to a lower end school though? Your law degree/MBA from Northwestern Oklahoma State is worthless.
To answer your question: many schools. GPA is only one criteria in the admissions process. Test scores, recommendations, statement of purpose, work experience, etc. count a lot.

The more difficult problem is finding someone (much less three people) to write a good recommendation when you are a 2.0 student.

Schools only care about statistics. GPA and standardized tests are all that matter. B/c that's what determines their ranking, increases their funds, etc. The only time your damn personal statement or other bs actually matters is if you legitimately have a UNIQUE story to tell or you're neck and neck with another student and they need something to break a tie. 
That is definitely not true.

Your Personal statement/statement of purpose are extremely important to many programs, particularly in the humanities.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

My GPA coming into this semester is 2.0. And this semester isnt looking so hot so yea, Im gunna be $+%!*$ forever. I lowkey feel as though Ive ruined my future now.

Edit: I want to be a therapist. So yea I think Im pretty +@%%$*
1301806680001.png

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

My GPA coming into this semester is 2.0. And this semester isnt looking so hot so yea, Im gunna be $+%!*$ forever. I lowkey feel as though Ive ruined my future now.

Edit: I want to be a therapist. So yea I think Im pretty +@%%$*
1301806680001.png

No...but it's going to make it harder to get interviews straight out of college. Once you can get that job it won't be a big deal.

No...but it's going to make it harder to get interviews straight out of college. Once you can get that job it won't be a big deal.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Do you guys put your Major GPA on your Resume?

I go to the McCombs School of Business, and they say to put it on if it is significantly higher.

They also said that most employers who look at us, require a 3.0 to get an interview.

I go to the McCombs School of Business, and they say to put it on if it is significantly higher.

They also said that most employers who look at us, require a 3.0 to get an interview.

Originally Posted by 2muchJayStyle

"Who you know"> Internships > GPA

it depends on what you're trying to do, for many grad schools (med, law, business)

GPA>>>

Originally Posted by 2muchJayStyle

"Who you know"> Internships > GPA

it depends on what you're trying to do, for many grad schools (med, law, business)

GPA>>>

Originally Posted by E3LAL

From what I've been seeing and hearing, this is basically the cut-off...3.0 or higher, your references, experience, etc.. will be the difference in whether or not you get a job..Under a 3.0 and you're gonna have a fairly difficult time finding a good position

Originally Posted by E3LAL

From what I've been seeing and hearing, this is basically the cut-off...3.0 or higher, your references, experience, etc.. will be the difference in whether or not you get a job..Under a 3.0 and you're gonna have a fairly difficult time finding a good position

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Graduated with a 2.6

2 months later I got hired making $60k+
What was your major and did you have experience prior to getting the job? Reason why I ask is because the OP should know that the amount of experience you have in the field you want to get in will be taken over the GPA.
Entrepreneurship major and marketing minor with a sales focus. I did two sales based summer internships with the company prior to getting hired.

That being said...the order goes:
Who you know
Internships/performance
How you interview
GPA

I haven't been on an interview where they brought up my GPA...so I never did either.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Graduated with a 2.6

2 months later I got hired making $60k+
What was your major and did you have experience prior to getting the job? Reason why I ask is because the OP should know that the amount of experience you have in the field you want to get in will be taken over the GPA.
Entrepreneurship major and marketing minor with a sales focus. I did two sales based summer internships with the company prior to getting hired.

That being said...the order goes:
Who you know
Internships/performance
How you interview
GPA

I haven't been on an interview where they brought up my GPA...so I never did either.

Back
Top Bottom