So is NT ever going to implement a marketplace such as...

ultralightbeam

formerly i lyricaljkilla i
7,920
1,253
Joined Nov 14, 2003
...the 'other' site??

I know it's been asked a million times...but are there any concrete plans sometime in the future for a better MP?

Not saying the fradulence would end...but it would definitely help weed it out on here if we had a similar feedback/referral system.

Or is this something not possible within Yuku?

 
6,363
12
Joined Jan 16, 2006
Dont care what anyone says

That marketplace >>> our marketplace. By FAR.

Be smart with your transaction and who you deal with, youll be fine.
 
70,058
16,644
Joined Apr 4, 2008
Only way people will stop being frauded on NT is if the seller had to ship their shoes to a mod first and then they were released to the buyer upon payment,similar to Flight Club. Of course then the mods would have to charge to list your shoes.
 
3,810
12
Joined Apr 2, 2004
Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Only way people will stop being frauded on NT is if the seller had to ship their shoes to a mod first and then they were released to the buyer upon payment, similar to Flight Club. Of course then the mods would have to charge to list your shoes.
...which mod has the time for that?
 

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
6,408
21,195
Joined Dec 8, 1999
If adding feedback were as simple as flipping a switch, we'd have done it long ago. It's easy to plug something like that in on another forum platform,but unfortunately nothing like that currently exists for Yuku and other features take precedence in terms of prioritization. It's a trade off. Every setuphas its positives and negatives.

Instances of fraud have been reduced DRAMATICALLY since we implemented the new post requirements and approval system. We just brought in two new buy/sellguides today, daaznfella and animalthug, which should improve turnaround time.

For a FREE listing service, I think we offer our users a great balance between convenience and security. That's a testament to the tireless efforts of ourdedicated buy/sell team.

We were sick and tired of all the fraud that took place in our back yard and many of our fellow members got together and did something about it, sacrificingthousands of hours of their free time to verify listings and prevent obnoxious teen frauds from creating accounts, listing items they don't even own, andsticking inexperienced members for hundreds of dollars in petty, small time scams. Veteran collectors don't really need that extra layer of protection, asyou know the red flags and warning signs to look out for and perform your due diligence when engaging in any transaction. Younger and less experienced users,however, are especially vulnerable to this type of fraud and we felt it important to sacrifice for their benefit.

If you want to use a service without those safeguards - fine. A ton of them exist. We saw a glaring need, however, for a free service that actively looks outfor others and tries to weed out scammers BEFORE they take advantage of someone.


Most of the time when we see these huge "help, someone defrauded me" posts in the General forum, the actual transaction was arranged through alisting on another website. There are plenty of things we've long wanted to do with our buy/sell forums, but we've been hamstrung by technicallimitations. Right now, the Yuku development team's attention is focused on a substantial update, so there's just no room for something that would onlybenefit a handful of their communities. It's a balancing act.
 
4,640
84
Joined Oct 31, 2005
Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i


Not saying the fradulence would end...but it would definitely help weed it out on here if we had a similar feedback/referral system.
The other site has a feedback/referral system, but scamming happens a LOT more than it does here...almost tenfold. All the rules and regulationswe have on NT are to protect both the buyers and sellers as much as possible. The rules are simple and easy to follow (yet an alarming number of people havetrouble following them). A lot of people complain about the whole approving the replies thing, but replying to a selling thread isn't the only way tocontact a seller. In fact, PMs and Emails are the best ways to get first dibs on an item you really want.

If there was no screening process, users could leave endless comments, bumping/spamming would be rampant, and fraudulent activity could occur without anyoneknowing. Some say the whole screening process slows down their sales, which is totally untrue IMO. I've seen sellers post ******ED prices, and then bumpthe next day saying "$1 off!". If you have good shoes at good/fair prices and create a complete selling thread without leaving any loose ends(contact info, method of payment, references, trades, etc), I guarantee a satisfactory experience. We like to have sales as quick and direct as possible. Takethe bidding to eBay and the ******ed prices to the other site.

Also, most of the "OMG I GOT SCAMMED BY XXXXXX" threads are from people who came running here after they got scammed over THERE.

EDIT

Or what Meth said.
 
235
15
Joined Jan 27, 2002
they to because I have some VNDS SOD Jordan silver Georgetown shots xl, and the blackout SOD Nike Oregons also XL, and some DS And1 Monta Ellis me8s sz13(weartest samples) that I need to get rid of fast and right now eBay sucks. I tried to eBay my Undercrwn Gil Arenas Adidas Lightswitch, 8.5/10 and they endedfor like 8 bucks. Luckily, dude was a deadbeat anyways
 
1,356
12
Joined Sep 17, 2007
Indeed. NT is not perfect but as long as your careful when selling or buying here you will be ok. Occasionally there will be someone like Retired Jordan'swho will take the money and run, but honestly this kind of problem exists off line as well. How many times have your had to return an item you bought in personto a store because of a defect. Plus with NT's reputation of sticking it to scammers, we tend to weed these people out fairly fast.

What I would like to see is some sort of ip ban so the scammers cant come back.
 

chi ill

Banned
2,624
10
Joined Jan 23, 2009
Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i


Not saying the fradulence would end...but it would definitely help weed it out on here if we had a similar feedback/referral system.
The other site has a feedback/referral system, but scamming happens a LOT more than it does here...almost tenfold.
That's also because MANY more people sell over there .
 

ultralightbeam

formerly i lyricaljkilla i
7,920
1,253
Joined Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for the replies Meth and JTK.

Fair enough. I see what you both are saying....also tying in it with the Yuku limitations at this point....

...I guess it's best to be thankful for the Buy/Sell guides doing their best with what they have....and the restrictions we have in place...and go forwardwith being alert and aware.
 
4,640
84
Joined Oct 31, 2005
Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i


Not saying the fradulence would end...but it would definitely help weed it out on here if we had a similar feedback/referral system.
The other site has a feedback/referral system, but scamming happens a LOT more than it does here...almost tenfold.
That's also because MANY more people sell over there .
The bottom line is that Niketalk took active measures to prevent scamming. The other site did not.

The fact that there are more users there doesn't make it any more acceptable.
 
6,363
12
Joined Jan 16, 2006
Please, NT does try its best to stop frauding and whatnot. Thats great and all, but the sellers and merchandise is just not here. ISS has a ton more members,thus a ton more listings. You really are going to get frauded if you arent smart with who you deal with. Theres PLENTY of legit sellers, which greatlyoutnumber how many potential frauders there are. The feedback system works great IMO.

You can try to make NT as safe as you want, bottom line is that all the merchandise is still over there.
 
1,362
10
Joined Jan 2, 2009
I've bought a few items from Buy/Sell and felt pretty confident. Shout out to all the legit people on NT and the mods who spend time looking at all thatstuff.
 

chi ill

Banned
2,624
10
Joined Jan 23, 2009
Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i


Not saying the fradulence would end...but it would definitely help weed it out on here if we had a similar feedback/referral system.
The other site has a feedback/referral system, but scamming happens a LOT more than it does here...almost tenfold.
That's also because MANY more people sell over there .
The bottom line is that Niketalk took active measures to prevent scamming. The other site did not.

The fact that there are more users there doesn't make it any more acceptable.
I'm saying that it evens out to the amount of scammings .

Of course if you're comparing 100 to 1000 it's going to look like they have more .

It equals out if you really think about it .
 
4,640
84
Joined Oct 31, 2005
Originally Posted by Chi ILL

I'm saying that it evens out to the amount of scammings .

Of course if you're comparing 100 to 1000 it's going to look like they have more .

It equals out if you really think about it .
Firstly, sellers aren't required to date their pics. Anyone can use old pictures and claim to have shoes in possession. Secondly, threadsdon't expire there. Everything seems new and recent because sellers bump their threads all the damn time. Thirdly, the amount of sellers there don'toutweigh the number of sellers here by ten times. At best, i'll say they have triple the amount.

So yes, obviously, if there are more sellers, more scams may happen, but it's because the rules are made for convenience, not protection. A quick look atthe first page of any of their selling forums, and you'll see a seven-month-old thread that went to five pages because of bumping. A newbie user whodoesn't know much about buying or is perhaps too trusting is an easy target.

Let's say the amount of sellers on NT doubled, or even tripled. I don't expect the scams to proportionally increase by the same amount. Scams are notbased the amount of users, but on how the establishment is run.
 
2,261
28
Joined Aug 1, 2005
I have only had great experiences with our buy/sell set up......But much like meth said, its all about doing your due diligence to prevent your self beingdefrauded.....
 

tmukg21

Banned
4,017
10
Joined Apr 23, 2008
i think the system is fine as is, only so much honesty you can get over the web regardless


but why not just delete the locked threads so the other threads can rise to the top (if that makes sense?)
 

chi ill

Banned
2,624
10
Joined Jan 23, 2009
Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

I'm saying that it evens out to the amount of scammings .

Of course if you're comparing 100 to 1000 it's going to look like they have more .

It equals out if you really think about it .
Firstly, sellers aren't required to date their pics. Anyone can use old pictures and claim to have shoes in possession. Secondly, threads don't expire there. Everything seems new and recent because sellers bump their threads all the damn time. Thirdly, the amount of sellers there don't outweigh the number of sellers here by ten times. At best, i'll say they have triple the amount.

So yes, obviously, if there are more sellers, more scams may happen, but it's because the rules are made for convenience, not protection. A quick look at the first page of any of their selling forums, and you'll see a seven-month-old thread that went to five pages because of bumping. A newbie user who doesn't know much about buying or is perhaps too trusting is an easy target.

Let's say the amount of sellers on NT doubled, or even tripled. I don't expect the scams to proportionally increase by the same amount. Scams are not based the amount of users, but on how the establishment is run.
First , yes you are required to date your pics there .

Second , there is an requirement to post listings over there .

Thirdly , threads do expire over there , you can bump every 48 hours .

If it's up too long , you have to take new pictures with new dates or make another thread .

Like I said , you keep saying that there's soooo many scams over on I$$ .

That's like comparing 100 apples to 1000 oranges .

Maybe 100 oranges are spoiled compared to 10 apples ... but that still equals out .

Simply , their selling system is way better than ours , I would hesitate before selling on Niketalk & that's real .

I wouldn't feel protected , & there is no feedback system .

I don't (& I'm sure a good portion of other NTers as well) , don't like how the Marketplace here is run .
 
693
10
Joined Feb 9, 2009
aye miss "i can do anything if i drweeeam it" if yo0u don't feel protected on NT then dont shop here. NT is better protected than ISS. No matterwhat you dream
 
3,210
10
Joined Feb 7, 2008
Can we get a regional forum market place

since the market place isnt really active, maybe trying something new will help
 
12,649
5,242
Joined Jun 4, 2008
Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

I'm saying that it evens out to the amount of scammings .

Of course if you're comparing 100 to 1000 it's going to look like they have more .

It equals out if you really think about it .
Firstly, sellers aren't required to date their pics. Anyone can use old pictures and claim to have shoes in possession. Secondly, threads don't expire there. Everything seems new and recent because sellers bump their threads all the damn time. Thirdly, the amount of sellers there don't outweigh the number of sellers here by ten times. At best, i'll say they have triple the amount.

So yes, obviously, if there are more sellers, more scams may happen, but it's because the rules are made for convenience, not protection. A quick look at the first page of any of their selling forums, and you'll see a seven-month-old thread that went to five pages because of bumping. A newbie user who doesn't know much about buying or is perhaps too trusting is an easy target.

Let's say the amount of sellers on NT doubled, or even tripled. I don't expect the scams to proportionally increase by the same amount. Scams are not based the amount of users, but on how the establishment is run.
Lets call it like it is. NT is way better when it comes to the content and discussions that can be found here.
However when you say a listing can get to 5 pages all because of the seller bumping the thread, chances are that the seller is legit.
I assume he just keeps updating the thread with new merchandise which will lead to constant bumping. If nobody complains about that seller after having sold afew pages worth of sneakers then its probably because they havent scammed anyone yet. And if the seller has the same sneakers after 5 pages of bumping, thenpeople must not be feeling the way that person is running their listing.

As with any website where you could purchase items, it is up to the buyer to do their research.
Im sure if anyone really really wanted to, they could follow ALL of your rules in the NT market place and once the money is received it wont be that hard tosimply not ship the sneakers. I believe this goes for any webiste, including "The other site".

Bottom line is that the better merchandise can be found over there.
Better/Mature/Funny threads are over here.
 
9,530
91
Joined Dec 17, 2003
Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Please, NT does try its best to stop frauding and whatnot. Thats great and all, but the sellers and merchandise is just not here. ISS has a ton more members, thus a ton more listings. You really are going to get frauded if you arent smart with who you deal with. Theres PLENTY of legit sellers, which greatly outnumber how many potential frauders there are. The feedback system works great IMO.

You can try to make NT as safe as you want, bottom line is that all the merchandise is still over there.
I agree, which is why I only sell over there.
 
16,736
13
Joined Apr 15, 2008
it went thru Buy/sell forum once when i need some bread.....it was clean...plus no ebay fee's!
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now