SO... Is Sebastian Telfair Goin to go down...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I love when people defend examples like this by saying 'He has a long way to go; fall back', like dude is going to have a Maravich-type career from here on out... or for even one season.
laugh.gif

And I'm not a fan or a supporter; I'm indifferent, as neutral as I can be. I wouldn't call him a bust; I wouldn't call him a star.

He's an NBA player.

But responses like 'Whoa, we never know what could happen. He's only twentysomething' always crack me up.
laugh.gif
It's like people are seriously thinking, 'Weeellll, I don't want to call him a bust just yet, because he might average 83 points per game next season, and then I'll feel stupid. So I'll hold off, and everyone else should, too.'

There's a reason he's been bounced around already. It's because he's not that great. That's not saying he sucks; he's still in the NBA. But... he's not that great, and even though I won't call him a bust, I'll say this: I doubt he'll ever be great.

I don't look too much into guys getting bounced around early on...it's the guys who get bounced, then CUT (Gerald Green) who you can maybe pointthe finger at....at the end of the day, it's where you finish that matters....how long did it take for Chauncey Billups to get in the right situation? Shoot, he was on 5 teams in his first 6 years....I don't think anyone in this thread was predicting any sort of greatness with Telfair....there is just thedefense of him getting the unwarranted label of being a "bust." He can become a much MUCH better PG than what he is today, and like I was sayingbefore he reminds me of a young Rod Strickland. Again, no one is saying that he is going to be great, but rather a solid PG in the NBA....doubtingsomeone's potential at the age of 22 is a bit premature...doubting someone's potential at the age of 26-27 is a bit more realistic.

There's a reason he's been bounced around already. It's because he's not that great. That's not saying he sucks; he's still in the NBA. But... he's not that great, and even though I won't call him a bust, I'll say this: I doubt he'll ever be great.

I remember people saying the same thing about Billups

Touche.

But that's what makes Billups' story special; because even though he was well on the road to becoming another one of sport's journeymen, he keptworking and kept working, and found a permanent home, where he earned a championship and a Finals MVP.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

I remember people saying the same thing about Billups

people are still saying stuff like this - theyre saying it about gerald greene, people on this board are already calling greene a bust and he hasnt been inthe league nearly as long as telfair nor did he come in with as much hype, did he create that hype, no but he did thrive off of it and that warrants someharsher criticism like it or not, like i said, i still think sebastian can become a solid pg or maybe even a good back up but to think that what we'eveseen ISNT a sign of where this guy is headed is nuts, nothing makes me think this guy wont end up like his cousin - not bad but not great

Please, as long as Kwame "Bum-Butterfingers" Brown is around he can be no higher than 6:

Yea there were SO many players in the history of the league that deserve to have their names higher than Telfair. He probably isn't even on the Top 10 list. Remember his draft position, folks didn't want to take that risk. They knew he should have went with Pitino. 

Portland's draft history
laugh.gif

He was part of the KG deal
pimp.gif

Last edited:
i remember the first time i saw him play. I thought he had next in the league. Never worked out for him. Haven't seen him many people with the quickness he had when I saw him play. :smh:

In regard to OP, I understand where you are coming from, but there is hype then there is actual ability which was never seen and I feel while Telfair was in fact a bust, the media did him no favors.

What I can say is the biggest bust I have ever seen with my own eyes is Greg Oden, I don't mean to be too mean because I understand a lot of it was injury induced but he was THEE MAN in college, He was a monster and I am certain he would have been a beast barring injury it just wasn't meant to be. 

Oden as biggest bust? Dude was fragile as ****

You can put him as the biggest bust, he was just unlucky and unhealthy. He could have been great, key word could. We will never know.

There's been plenty of players who were beasts and look like superstar status in college but didn't even do a damn thing in the league and we quickly out of it as soon as they entered it.

Some players have it and some don't. It's crazy

Last edited:
Biggest bust is Anthony Bennett. Tel fair is nowhere near biggest bust but he's definitely the definition of one.

He decided to forgo his opportunity to play for Louisville and develop his game in exchange for becoming a professional basketball with a mediocre career.

Let's call this situation for what it is: The man wanted to be paid, and didn't want to wait a year or two which could've helped him out in the long run. He's earned around a total of $19 Million, according to basketball-reference. It's safe to assume, he probably took home around $7-9 million of that after taxes and fees. I wouldn't be surprised if he has less than $3 million to him or close to bankruptcy. Now, this is assuming his basketball career is over and he is no longer playing (domestically or internationally).

He's not a bust on a professional athletic level, but a lot one in a monetary perspective. He gets no sympathy from me :lol:

Biggest bust is Anthony Bennett. Tel fair is nowhere near biggest bust but he's definitely the definition of one.

For once i agree with you. At least Telfair was in rotations while Bennett is close to being outta the league. Shoulda never been #1 overall in the first place tho smh

It's nuts to me that his little brother from the movie is in the draft this year

He decided to forgo his opportunity to play for Louisville and develop his game in exchange for becoming a professional basketball with a mediocre career.

Let's call this situation for what it is: The man wanted to be paid, and didn't want to wait a year or two which could've helped him out in the long run. He's earned around a total of $19 Million, according to basketball-reference. It's safe to assume, he probably took home around $7-9 million of that after taxes and fees. I wouldn't be surprised if he has less than $3 million to him or close to bankruptcy. Now, this is assuming his basketball career is over and he is no longer playing (domestically or internationally).

He's not a bust on a professional athletic level, but a lot one in a monetary perspective. He gets no sympathy from me
laugh.gif

Wasn't talking about making that type of money at the age of 18-19. I was touching on the statement you made saying, "none of us on this forum will ever see money like that". You do not know who's on this forum and how much they make. I'm just saying, speak for yourself :lol:

I'm checking out of this discussion now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom