So is the streetball "pick-up" move illegal in official games?

thebachellor

Banned
You know... the move where the ball's on the ground and you "pop" it up with one hand. Is that illegal after you've dribbled?

So say you're in posession of the ball and you dribble and stop. If you put it down on the ground, let go of it (lose possession) and "pop" it back up, is that against the rules, or not?

Can't be a double dribble, because you don't have posession of it. Your ball is on top of the ball, and not under it... so it can't be a carry.

The reason I ask is I just saw this
eek.gif
move in a game where the guy dribbling put the ball on the ground, faked running for a few steps, returned to the ball and "popped" it and then put it in between the defender's legs backwards. I'll try to find the video.

Yeah it's illegal - would be considered a pass to yourself (traveling) since you took a couple of steps and then essentially picked the ball back up. Would still be double dribble even if you didn't go anywhere because you stopped dribbling and then started again.

What kind of scrubs would you have to be playing against to pull this off without turning the ball over? If you put the ball on the ground against me or any decent defender it's either gonna be tied up or you're gonna lose the ball.

As far as whether it's a rule violation I'm pretty sure it'd be a carry unless someone had knocked it out of your hand, in which case you could just pick it up with two hands.

Originally Posted by notoriousniq

Yeah it's illegal - would be considered a pass to yourself (traveling) since you took a couple of steps and then essentially picked the ball back up. Would still be double dribble even if you didn't go anywhere because you stopped dribbling and then started again.
But the ball is "dead" right? So what you're saying is that even if you're not physically in possession of the ball, you're still in "possession" since no one else touched it?

let go of it (lose possession)

I don't think you can purposely lose possession on the ball.  Thats the same as if you were trapped and picked up your dribble and then set it down and pick it up again and started dribbling. I would call it double dribble.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

What kind of scrubs would you have to be playing against to pull this off without turning the ball over? If you put the ball on the ground against me or any decent defender it's either gonna be tied up or you're gonna lose the ball.
laugh.gif
Basically... If you have time to pull this off, you're not playing in a real game...

Back
Top Bottom