***So my mom told me her job was out sourced today....***

My mother after 37 years of working for a WELL KNOWN bank was told today that her and the whole department will be let go because the job will be out sourced...... She has until april 1st to pack up her desk and leave... They found a company in india that will do the samething MUCH CHEAPER in less hours...... So she is forced into early retirement without full benifits..... Btw she has the years but not the age to retire with full benifits... (Shes 56).... The amount of anger i feel right now.... To hear my mother crying on the phone.... This is NOT right.... I feel bad.... Any kind, uplifting words i could give my mom would be appreciated....

I bet it was Chase.

I don't understand how theres not some federal regulation against this. How is it the economy is bad, people need jobs and the huge corporations are taking these jobs overseas.

On top of that I don't know any one that likes calling a business and speaking to "Peggy".

Just go be with her. Words won't do much right now because its is still setting in. But good luck to both of you.

Cue the Nas face mask gif. To the owners of the company...

Nothing you can do man. I had the same thing happen to me, only I am nowhere near retirement age. The capper was that they asked us to go over to China to teach them how to do our jobs. Being out of work, I said yeah. Me and about 6 other guys went and 3 weeks into the deal, the company ran out of money and sent us back. It could always be worse man. Its still new. Things will fall in to place. 

She was a systems analyst...... Ima go by her house later on.... I gotta get myself together and be strong for her first....

Originally Posted by 18th letter

why is she being forced to retire, though.
because shes 56 with probably decades of experience.  her salary and benefits requirement would cost a company much more than it would cost them to hire a younger person who could adequately do the same job.  its going to be next to impossible for her to find a similar position, so her only choice is forced retirement.  either that, or other banks or companies that have similar positions may follow the lead of her ex-employer and outsource the work for cheaper to India (if they havent done so already).

feel bad for your moms OP, but unfortunately thats life.  Like the saying goes... this aint showfriends.

well, shes gonna have to give a little (or alot) on her 'requirements' for salary and benefits. its hard to require anything when you dont have a job. yea it bruises the ego, but not everyone stays at the same level or keeps rising, often times you have to take a demotion with stride.

Sorry to hear that man. Be there for your mom.

My pops told me a few weeks ago IBM was letting him go, he was optimistic about his job prospects so that put me at ease. He told me something that everybody should take heed and that's to NETWORK and not BURN BRIDGES, because of that he still has some projects lined up until he finds another job. It's crazy because we're basically at the same point employment wise, I'm about to graduate and looking for employment and he's 30+ years older than me and in the same situation.

Happened at my work too.

We outsourced to India as well and a lot of peopel got laid of because of it. Most were people that got laid off were older and have been with the company for a long time. The people that were saved were all the younger people that get paid nothing. What sucks too is your mom will never get the type of money she once had cause companies are all looking to get young kids that are just happy to have a job. I feel bad man but that is the economy more so the company. It sucks out there but hopefully she had some retirement money to fall back on and she can get her social security soon too.

wow man...but you asked for uplifting words so here goes. Tell your mother that when one door closes that another one opens. I'm guessing you don't live with your mom so keep encouraging her to not lose hope and that she does have something to benefit a new company which is experience. It may/may not be the same rate of pay but it's better than nothing. Besides that ask her if she ever wanted to venture out and do her own thing business wise. Ask her if she would want to go back to school part time.

There's a bunch of opportunities out there for everyone...what people don't like to hear is that their ego might have to be checked. She is an older woman so she may/may not want to hear all of this but the amount of opportunities open for someone with an open mind exceeds that of one with an ego.

She's good. It will take her some time but she'll be good.

I have a friend from India who just came to america like 4 years ago...she got her Masters and was a systems analyst for a bank in detroit...then the job ended and she was off for about 2 weeks and she found another job in nebraska....I mean it's not the ritziest place but she knows what she has to do and she'll grow from the experience.

Sucks, but thats how capitalism works.
Companies' only responsibility is to the shareholders.
Lean is the new normal.

Id just let your moms know that youre there for her no matter what. Let her know that she's not inadequate or anything. Hurt pride is a big part of the %*@%@+ feeling of being let go. Oh, and do it in person; and consider spending as much time w/ her as you can this weekend.

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Tell her to move to India. What an awesome experience that would be.

idQ3GRBxK6ZyL.gif

capitalism at its finest.....smh

my mother's old job manufacturing was all outsourced to china years ago

Hang in there and be strong for you. I wish you guys the best. Hopefully she finds something that can help her provide for the family and maybe she will be happier in the end.

Sorry about your mom, this is nothing new though & is happening a lot..Companies are all about $$ in terms of making it & at the cheapest rate, a lot of fields are affected by this.

Originally Posted by VeintiSiete

idQ3GRBxK6ZyL.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
that GIF
on topic tho I'm sorry fams. But it seeems she has experience. Maybe she should branch out. do something different. She been there for 37 years maybe some new scenery would be a good thing.
try and find a bright side to it?

I wouldnt know how to deal with that at that age, so I have no idea what to say ... That would just tear me up inside..banks are probably the worst organizations to work for....

Originally Posted by Thizz Marley

Originally Posted by VeintiSiete

idQ3GRBxK6ZyL.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
that GIF
on topic tho I'm sorry fams. But it seeems she has experience. Maybe she should branch out. do something different. She been there for 37 years maybe some new scenery would be a good thing.
try and find a bright side to it?

Ditto.. this might give your mom a knew beginning. She shouldn't have as much a problem as others to find a job because of the experience she has. She might because of her age however.

Back
Top Bottom