So... No One Is Gonna Talk About the Gucci/Prada Blackface Thing?

Is naughtyhare a cheapskate?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That doesn't mean that they should double down on their ignorance. The character in Spain and Netherlands is definitely offensive to black Spanish and Dutch people, let alone black Americans. Blackface is NOT just an American thing

so here's a better question. should all characters be white, in order for "no one" to feel offended? its a lose lose regardless. if every cartoon/story character is white, then people are upset bc none of them are black. if they use black characters, now people are offended bc it can be perceived as black face. if they have smaller eyes, Asian people might be offended. if they have a mustache and a sombrero latinos/Mexicans might be offended. at some point, everyone is offended. if they're darker and wearing a turban, Indian people might be offended. so what are they supposed to do?

disclaimer, i'm not siding one way or the other and i'm solely talking about cartoon characters. i'm merely asking the question of what should they do in order to not offend anyone. again, cartoon characters here. i didn't give Gucci or Prada a pass, so don't make it seem like i did.

so here's a better question. should all characters be white, in order for "no one" to feel offended? its a lose lose regardless. if every cartoon/story character is white, then people are upset bc none of them are black. if they use black characters, now people are offended bc it can be perceived as black face. if they have smaller eyes, Asian people might be offended. if they have a mustache and a sombrero latinos/Mexicans might be offended. at some point, everyone is offended. if they're darker and wearing a turban, Indian people might be offended. so what are they supposed to do?

disclaimer, i'm not siding one way or the other and i'm solely talking about cartoon characters. i'm merely asking the question of what should they do in order to not offend anyone. again, cartoon characters here. i didn't give Gucci or Prada a pass, so don't make it seem like i did.

This question is framed like there aren't black cartoon characters that aren't based on racist stereotypes.

Not sure how you can look at Jynx, the Gucci sweater, and the other black faced red lipped pics in these last few pages and say you don't see the connection
Jynx only becuase as a kid I never once thought it was a black person. Kinda just stuck with me. Same with mr popo. Just thought he was an alien or something. Never knew of any of this when I was 8

Last edited:
It's possible to have cultural cartoons (Mexican characters with mustaches, Black people with big lips, etc) and keep it respectful. Sure somebody somewhere can find it offensive but there's no way to satisfy everybody or not offend someone. But there is a way to make things respectful to offend minimal people

It's not as simple as "character is ____ race". Blackface is specifically offensive because the characters have highly exaggerated features and personality traits to make them look like cartoonish idiots.

I'm half Indian, so no, a dude wearing a turban wouldn't offend me, not just because I'm not Sikh, but because that's actually what many Indian people look like. If on the other hand you portray that dude as a guy walking around charming snakes and praying to cows 24/7, then yes, I'd see that as offensive

Jynx on becuase as a kid I never once thought it was a black person. Kinda just stuck with me. Same with mr popo. Just thought he was an alien or something. Never knew of any of this when I was 8

Definitely in 5th grade when Pokémon came out I didn't see a problem but I can't say that means its not wrong or disrespectful
Now Mr. Popo in 6th-7th grade definitely seemed a bit much but it was mostly because he was black black and not brown

Definitely in 5th grade when Pokémon came out I didn't see a problem but I can't say that means its not wrong or disrespectful
Now Mr. Popo in 6th-7th grade definitely seemed a bit much but it was mostly because he was black black and not brown
We thought popo was batting for the home team. Him and kami up there alone :lol:

Thought jynx was a sea monster or something

see i think its how we're conditioned as we get older. when we were younger, we didn't think of race. our friends are our friends. the characters on a tv show were whatever they were supposed to be, an alien or Pokemon or whatever. now that we're essentially brought up in a racist society, we're rethinking things like cartoons that i don't think need to be revisited. can Jynx be offensive, sure i suppose. but is it bc we're conditioned to think that way now, or is there a genuine feeling? thats what i'm getting at. are we actually offended or are we basically being forced into feeling that way?

Stereotypical imagery is offensive period. It is making fun of certain characteristics that elitist, upper class types find comical and degrading. They are the protagonists in regard to ism's and other forms of oppression. The Chinese felt that way about having big feet with foot binding as the result. You have people with fully functioning feet that work well, then being a bit larger, thinking that they are somehow unnatural. So they mutilate themselves in order to appear acceptable. You have Black people like Sammy Sosa lightening their skin in order to feel accepted. This is the damage that such stereotypical imagery creates.

It is also why you should be pissed, then wanting to hurt someone about it. You have a right to be angry, then wanting to destroy those who want to put you down, due to how you look.

I don't understand why there's often so much resistance towards others being offended. Why is it so difficult to say "I personally don't find it offensive, but I can see how it could be to you/your people, so I'll stop doing it"? Does it really cost you anything to respect the feelings of people from different backgrounds?

Such imagery fuels self hate. It is the reason that little Black girls choose white dolls. It is the one of the reasons that white people are held as the standard of beauty. Whomever purports what is inferior, is the one who controls what's acceptable, especially if they are in power. This is how oppression works. Make fun of dark skin, then people with dark skin are made to feel bad, with some wanting to change. Others got angry, and a movement began. It is the reason why PLUS size shops had to be created for full figured women, because size zero actually became a thing. Rich men do not want fat women is the thought. It is all about impressing White people, then living to their standards. Screw them. Rich white woman uses funny little black kids like pets, so she decided to make a black sweater with big red lips on them to honor them. Not only will I not buy that crap, I may even slap her in the face if I see her wearing it.

see i think its how we're conditioned as we get older. when we were younger, we didn't think of race. our friends are our friends. the characters on a tv show were whatever they were supposed to be, an alien or Pokemon or whatever. now that we're essentially brought up in a racist society, we're rethinking things like cartoons that i don't think need to be revisited. can Jynx be offensive, sure i suppose. but is it bc we're conditioned to think that way now, or is there a genuine feeling? thats what i'm getting at. are we actually offended or are we basically being forced into feeling that way?
Well yes and no. Again, care if you want but there are some done with intentions to ridicule. I agree some are a stretch but others are 100% made to be racist..... and it’s white people who do it :/

However, I believe it is a racially offensive character.

jynx? naw...it was nipped in da bud by turning her purple when it got localized in da american market, i remember reading about that and epilepsy edits they made for Pikachu in da late 90's.

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge… is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world. It requires profound purpose larger than the self kind of understanding."

Bill Bullard

Back
Top Bottom