so NT what do you think... VOL IPHONE murderer

I don't see anything killing the iPhone. I have Verizon by the way and can't wait to get an iphone in the summer.

Originally Posted by prokid404

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Originally Posted by bjamez20

how many iPhone killers have there been now? i'm good with my 3GS until the next one comes out

I swear there's a new iphone killer every other month and yet... they don't kill the iphone.
exactly. people need to give it up. 

The Nexus One is a Total Flop

74 days after the iPhone was introduced at $600 a pop (six hundred dollars), one million were sold. The Droid, at $200: 1.05 million. The Nexus One? An estimated 135,000 units. By any measure, that's a total sales flop.

Sure, the Nexus One is only sold online and though T-Mobile, but 135,000 units is a ridiculously tiny amount. Especially when the Nexus One was announced for a long time on the most popular web page in the world: The Google home page. Only the Nexus One and Google's Chrome have been announced in that sacred place, which is used by a gigazillion people every day. It's the most watched, most expensive advertising spot on the planet.

Even worse: The sales rate is declining. After its first month, the Nexus One sold 80,000 units. That's means that only 55,000 additional units sold in the next month. For a cellphone that is being named and talked about every single day by every single tech publication, and often mentioned in the mainstream media, that's quite embarrassing.

Why is this happening? The Nexus One is a nice cellphone, after all. Is it really that you can only buy it online? The iPad sold online, for a higher price and without no phone capabilities, yet it sold an estimated 152,000 units in the first weekend. And products like the Kindle are doing good sales with an online-only sales model.

I've got a 3GS and I hate everything that has to do with the iPad but the numbers don't lie. Many have tried...

http://www.youtube.com/v/8deIeLIzm6Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/8deIeLIzm6Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The nexus one was doomed as far as competing numbers wise because they aren't in stores.  If the n1 was next to the mytouch, cliq and g1 in store displays, trust me, it would've done numbers.

But are we really STILL trying to kill the iphone?  

I'll be ok with the HD2.  Can't wait. 

About that nexus video, funny.  People %@$+ on windows mobile, but I for damn sure don't miss seeing that force close %@$+ on android and the many crap, useless apps. 

I have a tp2 now, and although its not a fun phone, it does the basics well.  Talk, text, and web.  The 'fun' factor only lasts so long for me...its just a phone. 

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

74 days after the iPhone was introduced at $600 a pop (six hundred dollars), one million were sold. The Droid, at $200: 1.05 million. The Nexus One? An estimated 135,000 units. By any measure, that's a total sales flop.

Sure, the Nexus One is only sold online and though T-Mobile, but 135,000 units is a ridiculously tiny amount. Especially when the Nexus One was announced for a long time on the most popular web page in the world: The Google home page. Only the Nexus One and Google's Chrome have been announced in that sacred place, which is used by a gigazillion people every day. It's the most watched, most expensive advertising spot on the planet.

Even worse: The sales rate is declining. After its first month, the Nexus One sold 80,000 units. That's means that only 55,000 additional units sold in the next month. For a cellphone that is being named and talked about every single day by every single tech publication, and often mentioned in the mainstream media, that's quite embarrassing.

Why is this happening? The Nexus One is a nice cellphone, after all. Is it really that you can only buy it online? The iPad sold online, for a higher price and without no phone capabilities, yet it sold an estimated 152,000 units in the first weekend. And products like the Kindle are doing good sales with an online-only sales model.

I've got a 3GS and I hate everything that has to do with the iPad but the numbers don't lie. Many have tried...
laugh.gif
 you cant tell these dudes anything though. they will sit here and claim this > that for whatever reasons they have, and just like i have said in every iphon vs. whatever thread, the numbers dont %@#!%*% lie. everyone wants multitasking on the iphone and on every other phone in the world, when the phones processors cant handle it. look at the video above, the nexus one cant even %@#!%*% process unlocking. why? most likely because of all the tasks running in the background. 
everyone hated on the ipad, and the ipad is doing better numbers than these hyped up "iphone killers".

but whatever, im sure they'll come with some sort of response to back up this failure phone. 

*waits for ninjahood and the sidekick of doom*

Yall dudes $*#*$!% on WinMo just don't know. They def stepped they game up and the open platform makes it all the better. The HD2 specs are crazy, can't wait to cop
pimp.gif

im telling yall that HD2 was so sick ...

i love my iphone and all but im really considering of getting the HD2

or ill wait for apple to release the new iphone hopefully that #%!+ is KTG !!!!

if you're going to quote something as poorly written as this, at least bring us a source... "without no phone capabilities... products like the Kindle are doing good sales" <= the hell? you copy/pasting articles from your HS paper? the iphone had declining sales, too. and still does. so don't even try to bring that nonsense up. and why would phone capabilities have ANY impact on ipad sales? that's the most ridiculous comparison i've seen in an iphone debate. you honestly did more harm than good w/that post. i'm surprised you didn't bring up how many cases of coke were sold on safeway.com in its first weekend. true, the numbers don't lie. but that doesn't make them relevant. and, for the record, that crap that you copy/pasted specifically mentioned that the droid outsold the iphone - despite the fact that verizon has multiple android phones. so what the hell is your point? that apple can make more money than its competitors by selling more expensive products? we already knew that. welcome to 1997. the article was entirely focused on the nexus one, which is not @all the focus of this thread, but since you brought it up its worth mentioning that the nexus one was released (primarily) for t-mobile, which has 1/3 of the customers of verizon and at&t. yes, the unlocked nexus one was available but why would you pay $700 for that when you can get a similar phone (droid, eris, g1, etc.) for $300-500 less?
i'm not going to argue about what phone is better but you guys need to make some legitimate arguments. apple has a hardcore following that is willing to buy anything that they put out. the majority of iphone users refuse to look @other phones and even PCs, so what's the point in talking to them? if the operating systems and specs were flipped and the iphone ran android you apple heads would be going nuts over widgets, multitasking, the better camera, a camera w/flash and that other type of flash that mr. jobs seems to think is irrelevant. don't even try to pretend those aren't enviable features.

additionally, there's only 1 iphone where as there are almost two dozen phones running android and another two dozen future models already annouced. obviously w/that much cannibalism, there's no way every phone running android is going to be able to outsell the iphone. not to mention the fact that a lot of iphone sales are driven by consumers who are going purely off heuristics. its no different from the ipod. there are viable alternatives in the mp3 world - for example, throwing your ipod away and buying a good phone - but a lot of people don't even know what an mp3 player is, they only know that ipods play music.

you guys are so hyped up about the iphone and yet nobody has provided any explanation as to WHY you like the iphone. what SPECIFICALLY makes it so much better than every other phone? call me crazy but i'd rather have a reliable signal, interchangeable batteries, google voice, synced contacts, data backed up online and free navigation right out of the box. and i don't need to hack my phone or do anything outside of the ordinary to get the kind of performance that i'm looking for out of my phone.

p.s. in your defense of the iphone, please leave out anything related to rooting the phone b/c that's not relevant for me or the majority of potential customers. but if you feel it is absolutely necessary to bring up rooting your phone, be sure to mention that it is a)much easier to do on android and b)not frowned upon by google.

edit: why does one phone have to overwhelmingly dominate the iphone in order to kill it? collectively all of these phones (wm, android, bb) are eating away @iphone's market share and the longer the iphone remains exclusive to at&t, the worse it is going to get.

Originally Posted by TacC4

if you're going to quote something as poorly written as this, at least bring us a source... "without no phone capabilities... products like the Kindle are doing good sales" <= the hell? you copy/pasting articles from your HS paper? the iphone had declining sales, too. and still does. so don't even try to bring that nonsense up. and why would phone capabilities have ANY impact on ipad sales? that's the most ridiculous comparison i've seen in an iphone debate. you honestly did more harm than good w/that post. i'm surprised you didn't bring up how many cases of coke were sold on safeway.com in its first weekend. true, the numbers don't lie. but that doesn't make them relevant. and, for the record, that crap that you copy/pasted specifically mentioned that the droid outsold the iphone - despite the fact that verizon has multiple android phones. so what the hell is your point? that apple can make more money than its competitors by selling more expensive products? we already knew that. welcome to 1997. the article was entirely focused on the nexus one, which is not @all the focus of this thread, but since you brought it up its worth mentioning that the nexus one was released (primarily) for t-mobile, which has 1/3 of the customers of verizon and at&t. yes, the unlocked nexus one was available but why would you pay $700 for that when you can get a similar phone (droid, eris, g1, etc.) for $300-500 less?
i'm not going to argue about what phone is better but you guys need to make some legitimate arguments. apple has a hardcore following that is willing to buy anything that they put out. the majority of iphone users refuse to look @other phones and even PCs, so what's the point in talking to them? if the operating systems and specs were flipped and the iphone ran android you apple heads would be going nuts over widgets, multitasking, the better camera, a camera w/flash and that other type of flash that mr. jobs seems to think is irrelevant. don't even try to pretend those aren't enviable features.

additionally, there's only 1 iphone where as there are almost two dozen phones running android and another two dozen future models already annouced. obviously w/that much cannibalism, there's no way every phone running android is going to be able to outsell the iphone. not to mention the fact that a lot of iphone sales are driven by consumers who are going purely off heuristics. its no different from the ipod. there are viable alternatives in the mp3 world - for example, throwing your ipod away and buying a good phone - but a lot of people don't even know what an mp3 player is, they only know that ipods play music.

you guys are so hyped up about the iphone and yet nobody has provided any explanation as to WHY you like the iphone. what SPECIFICALLY makes it so much better than every other phone? call me crazy but i'd rather have a reliable signal, interchangeable batteries, google voice, synced contacts, data backed up online and free navigation right out of the box. and i don't need to hack my phone or do anything outside of the ordinary to get the kind of performance that i'm looking for out of my phone.

p.s. in your defense of the iphone, please leave out anything related to rooting the phone b/c that's not relevant for me or the majority of potential customers. but if you feel it is absolutely necessary to bring up rooting your phone, be sure to mention that it is a)much easier to do on android and b)not frowned upon by google.

edit: why does one phone have to overwhelmingly dominate the iphone in order to kill it? collectively all of these phones (wm, android, bb) are eating away @iphone's market share and the longer the iphone remains exclusive to at&t, the worse it is going to get.
you're right, but the article is talking about first week sales. 

and i have gone into discussions about why i like the iphone 
laugh.gif
 i dont know HOW MANY TIMES. 

but maybe you havent seen those threads. im not going to judge you from not seeing a thread and whatnot. so heres my reasons for the iphone-

1. ease of use - the iphone is easy to use. and thats my biggest concern when having a mobile device. having everything at my fingertips at every moment. no need to go into menus, and                whatnot. i need to unlock my screen and have everything there right there. and thats why the iphone works for me.

2. itunes/ipod - should be self explanatory. i use itunes as my music player on my computer, i have had ipods since their earliest years, so im not about to switch music program formats. the          iphones ipod is the same as the ipod touch's so theres no need for me to have multiple devices. 

3. apps - i dont need super multitasking resource hogs on my phone. the iphone can run playstation iso's and whatever else you want it to when jailbroken, and i used to be into all of that.            but nowadays, i just need my phone to call/text/email/facebook/twitter. i have some other apps like sportscenter and pandora radio, skype, and dropbox, etc etc. I like the apps on the            iphone, and they work around what i need. no need for me to switch phones just because of stats on paper, if the phone i have works for me. 

theres a few other reasons for why i like the phone such as the UI that i love and its touchscreen candybar design. 

i just really love the phone. 

and i cant hate anyone else for loving their personal favorite phones, but I never make threads or replies specifically downing other phones. usually when im in a thread about phones, im responding to the defense of the iphone because of all of the hate it receives. and most of hte time, i know and agree to other phones being superior in stats and on paper. 

but sometimes throwing 500 things onto a phone doesn't make it "better". and a lot of people seem to forget that and are blinded by all the bells and whistles a phone may have and they more than likely WONT USE all of them. 

hella handsome wrote:
i won't quote you cause i hate when the quotes become unmanageable but everything you said made a lot of sense to me. seriously. thank you for explaining your rationale.
i don't really have a preferred music player; i like media player for personal use but if i'm hosting a party then itunes is infinitely better due to the airport/ipod control thingy. although i just downloaded gmote, which appears to do the same thing, although not as well. but if you're a devoted itunes fan then i can see how the iphone would appeal to you.
i'm not big on facebook or twitter but i guess if i were i could see how the android widgets would be nice. but as you mentioned, those types of programs drain your battery and hog up a lot of memory, as well. right now on my droid i only have 1 web-related widget and its set to refresh only when i'm on wifi or plugged in for just that reason. it wouldn't kill my battery to have things constantly syncing but i like my batter @70%+
one thing about android that i will mention for all the iphone fans is how many flipping apps start on their own. maybe this happens w/the iphone as well and i just haven't heard about it, but there shouldn't need to be a task killer to close these apps that love running in the background. the task killers work (although a lot of apps like to restart w/o my permission) but it just shouldn't be necessary.

i refuse to leave verizon and i hung on to my VXsomething for entirely too long, just waiting for the iphone. my mom and stepdad's new every two came around and they picked up an eris and a droid. after a couple more weeks of holding out, i conceded. i love my droid. it does everything i want it to do, and it does it almost flawlessly. i've got an ipod touch and plenty of apps on it. there are some things i would like to see on android (etrade and streak for the cash) but nothing major is lacking and i don't think i've touched my ipod since i got my droid. the things that i use frequently (turn-by-turn navigation, music, contacts/calendar syncing, podcasts, calorie counter (barcode scanning, ftw!!) and chat/talk) all work exactly the way that i want them to - for free.

i'm not ignorant about android's shortcomings but its the best phone that i've found for myself. to thadangerousm's point, if everyone else wants and iphone, that's fine w/me as long as its not JUST b/c its an iphone.

Unless it has the Apple logo brand on the back of the phone, it will not be accepted in this society.

HD2 will be copped next week for sure. I like the iPhone a lot, but being on TMO there is not point in unlocking one only to not be able to utilize 3G.

Originally Posted by TacC4

hella handsome wrote:
i won't quote you cause i hate when the quotes become unmanageable but everything you said made a lot of sense to me. seriously. thank you for explaining your rationale.
i don't really have a preferred music player; i like media player for personal use but if i'm hosting a party then itunes is infinitely better due to the airport/ipod control thingy. although i just downloaded gmote, which appears to do the same thing, although not as well. but if you're a devoted itunes fan then i can see how the iphone would appeal to you.
i'm not big on facebook or twitter but i guess if i were i could see how the android widgets would be nice. but as you mentioned, those types of programs drain your battery and hog up a lot of memory, as well. right now on my droid i only have 1 web-related widget and its set to refresh only when i'm on wifi or plugged in for just that reason. it wouldn't kill my battery to have things constantly syncing but i like my batter @70%+
one thing about android that i will mention for all the iphone fans is how many flipping apps start on their own. maybe this happens w/the iphone as well and i just haven't heard about it, but there shouldn't need to be a task killer to close these apps that love running in the background. the task killers work (although a lot of apps like to restart w/o my permission) but it just shouldn't be necessary.

i refuse to leave verizon and i hung on to my VXsomething for entirely too long, just waiting for the iphone. my mom and stepdad's new every two came around and they picked up an eris and a droid. after a couple more weeks of holding out, i conceded. i love my droid. it does everything i want it to do, and it does it almost flawlessly. i've got an ipod touch and plenty of apps on it. there are some things i would like to see on android (etrade and streak for the cash) but nothing major is lacking and i don't think i've touched my ipod since i got my droid. the things that i use frequently (turn-by-turn navigation, music, contacts/calendar syncing, podcasts, calorie counter (barcode scanning, ftw!!) and chat/talk) all work exactly the way that i want them to - for free.

i'm not ignorant about android's shortcomings but its the best phone that i've found for myself. to thadangerousm's point, if everyone else wants and iphone, that's fine w/me as long as its not JUST b/c its an iphone.

if i were on verizon i would probably have a droid. my girl has one and they are good phones. its damn near the same thing, just a different UI. 
i honestly didnt want an iphone when it came out. i wanted a macbook, and my mom brought home an iphone like "well, this was cheaper" as a gift for my bday the year it released. it released in june, and my bday is july 1st, so i pretty much had the first drop of iphones and every model up to now. i grew into liking it, rather than just wanting it because it was an apple product. because honest,y, i HATED the touch screen keyboard for at least 4 days. 

but once i got used to it, and the app store opened, i grew to love the phone. i started to depend on it as my mobile device as a whole. 

i just suggest everyone to find a mobile device that they can learn to appreciate for what it does for YOU rather than its manufacturer. 

my droid i love, only thing i hate is no flash player. and i ad to replace once because it went to havin its own brain and callin random ppl

Back
Top Bottom