So Plantation Weddings Are a Thing...

So last week or so, whichever day my birthday was I was enjoying my mother's and sister's company as we prepared to play a game of spades. Idk how it was brought up, but my sister's brother (i'll call him "Caer") wedding got brought up b/c my mother wanted to be her +1. Right when I was asked I see my sister's obnoxious little troll face right before she says "Caer, is getting married on a plantation." :stoneface:

And you know... I feel like a reacted like anyone w/ a damn brain and a hint of knowledge about slavery would react. Confused. Who the hell would go out of their way to get married on a plantation in the 21st Century? THEN that confusion turned into an angry rant rant b/c not only are they getting married on a plantation. Caer is a BLACK AMERICAN man getting married to a WHITE AMERICAN woman on plantation. She suggested it and he's going along w/ it.

They're getting married this coming March and no I'm not going. My sister is in the wedding, might be the flower girl or some **** like that idk nor do I care. I really don't think I'm trippin, like say I end up w/ an Eastern Jew, I'm not gonna be like let's go get married a Warsaw or some ****. That's some crazy disrespectful **** to propose, imo.

Anyway, is this thing normal? Has anyone here had or gone to a Plantation Wedding? If so what was it like, and why was it picked to be on a Plantation?

I couldn't do it. That's one of those things I would periodically think about for the rest of my life, like: "I can't believe you did that. Wtf is wrong with you?"

Over the years many have. It was a subject of debate a while back. I’ve never been to a wedding on a plantation but I did go to a family reunion for my father’s side of the family. Not sure who thought this was good idea, but it was a very uneasy feeling. The great grandkids of the former owners still lived there. Remnants of the past brought some to tears. The overall experience was far from enjoyable.

This is some wild ish. Like, why would they think this is a good idea in any way, shape, or form?

This is some wild ish. Like, why would they think this is a good idea in any way, shape, or form?
I would not be surprised if it was just for how they wanted their wedding to look, without thinking about the history of the plantation.

I feel like these types of weddings are chosen by both the type of people you'd expect to do something like this as well as white people who like to whitewash history when it's convenient for them because it's a "beautiful venue" and has "historical charm."

As an aside: extravagant weddings have gotta be one of the dumbest ways to blow money that I can think of. The wedding industry as a whole is one of the biggest grifts going. Very happy to be dating a girl that hates the idea of a wedding reception that's anything more than a backyard BBQ. :lol:

I feel like these types of weddings are chosen by both the type of people you'd expect to do something like this as well as white people who like to whitewash history when it's convenient for them because it's a "beautiful venue" and has "historical charm."

Also, it annoys me that in the South, people can take "Plantation Tours" (Given by White Folks). I know for sure they are available in LA and MS.

In the south there are neighborhoods named after plantations. Usually affluent neighborhoods. Louisiana State Pen IS a plantation. A lot of other prisons used to plantations. Not a shocked at all.

I’m from the northeast so this sounds insane to me... I’m confused... Like an actual, historical, former slave, “plantation”? Someone is renting these as wedding venues? Or is it just a big, old house in the south that looks like something from Gone With the Wind?

As an aside: extravagant weddings have gotta be one of the dumbest ways to blow money that I can think of. The wedding industry as a whole is one of the biggest grifts going. Very happy to be dating a girl that hates the idea of a wedding reception that's anything more than a backyard BBQ. :lol:

Pre Covid I worked in the event industry.

You wouldn't imagine the cost of some of these weddings!

Table linens are so ****in expensive!

Give some examples....

Screenshot_20210205-200403_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thats per!

100% sure thats not even the most expensive.

Most likely the answer, and ignoring the history of the location. Or if not ignoring, then attempting to "move on" from it because the scenery/views

There's one thing to take a damn tour of a place, if its a museum or something, but to hold an event such as marriage ... NAH.

In the south there are neighborhoods named after plantations. Usually affluent neighborhoods. Louisiana State Pen IS a plantation. A lot of other prisons used to plantations. Not a shocked at all.
Especially in rural areas. I know a few places that are old plantations that are used as venues. Not usually by minorities tho.

I've seen pics of plantation weddings. Never would I have one there.

Would love a thread on just how much of a rip off the entire wedding industry is.

Proposed last year and strongly considering having a small initmate event while Covid is still popping. **** will save me at least 20-30k.

I've seen pics of plantation weddings. Never would I have one there.

Would love a thread on just how much of a rip off the entire wedding industry is.

Proposed last year and strongly considering having a small initmate event while Covid is still popping. **** will save me at least 20-30k.

Smart man. We did 8 guests and rented a dope AirBNB for venue. Had an absolute blast. Then went in 2 week honeymoon and spoiled ourselves.

Smart man. We did 8 guests and rented a dope AirBNB for venue. Had an absolute blast. Then went in 2 week honeymoon and spoiled ourselves.

I was originally planning on getting married in Bali. Still wanna hit Bali for the honeymoon but I need to get this small wedding off as easily as possible.

Back
Top Bottom