So the "Crab Dribble" may be permitted next year? Hmm...Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

smh.gif

stern bendin over for lebron time and time again

The bit that worries me about the statement is that there gonna share the rule with College n FIBA basketball well NBA officials need to learn that NCAA n FIBArefs do a much better job of calling carrying and traveling as there is no superstar whistles.

This really is a joke and whoever is in charge of officials should be sacked for even considering this theres a reason the rules never been changed since Cousyand thats because it should still apply.More than 2 steps will always be a travel,palming and carrying will always be if u put ya hand completely under theball while u dribble NBA refs are bums 4 real.

NBA is all about entertainment not the game of basketball bending and changeing rules to suit yaself is a shambles.

There is a move in basketball called the JUMPSTOP maybe Lebron and many other players/young players should learn the art of footwork and the jumpstop whichwhen executed gives u the right to choose which foot u take ya next step with as both feet land at the same time.

I loved AND1 for wat it was but it has caused alot of fundamentals goin out the window kids need to understand fundamentals make the fancy hot dog moves easierto execute,but 4real High school coaches need to teach fundamentals like footwork as it is an art form instead of lettin 14 year olds do watever they wantbecause there the local phenom /minor celebrity.

Peace
Scottie

seeems like the author of that lil article has a real agenda.
Its not about Lebron

http://niketalk.com/topic/157653
jumpstop which when executed gives u the right to choose which foot u take ya next step with as both feet land at the same time.

thats a walk, when u jump stop, u cant establish a pivot foot
It is time for some clarity. It is time to put this behind us. It is time to re-write the NBA's traveling rule.
[table][tr][td]
nba_travelling_200.jpg

Traveling in the NBA:
A TrueHoop Investigation

Perhaps the most fundamental rule of basketball is under fire. TrueHoop digs in.
(Source image by Andrew D. Bernstein NBAE/Getty Images)

1: Introduction: A basic rule, yet a mystery.
2: NBA Executive: "We really don't reference the rulebook."
3: NBA players on video: What's the rule?
4: Why traveling is tough to call.
5: Rewrite the rule.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
"We're working on it," says the NBA's Vice President of Referee Operations, Joe Borgia. "Our traveling rule we've been discussing for a couple of years," he says. "The game has evolved. I don't think the rule has evolved since the time of Bob Cousy. But we're also going to probably share it with the NCAA and maybe FIBA, because it would be nice if we could all come up with a similar rule. A similar rule would be great for the players, the coaches, and the officials."

Ronald Johnson, Senior Vice President of Referee Operations recognizes that it would be nice if the NCAA, FIBA, and the NBA could have the same traveling rule, but stops well short of making such uniformity an immediate priority. "We've all got different rules for different reasons. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's something wrong. Maybe, one perspective would be we all need to evolve towards the same standards, so that as people play at different levels, they can have it the same. But the other point of view is that, you know, we're the NBA. Maybe people ought to evolve toward the gold standard, not the silver."

Both Borgia and Johnson are clear that one major challenge of writing a new rule is finding the right words. The language quickly gets complicated.

"I don't want to pick on lawyers," says Borgia, "but some rules look like they were written by lawyers, and you're trying to figure out 'what the heck does it mean?'"

Here Borgia pauses, for dramatic effect, then, in character, asks: "Grasshopper, what does it mean?"

The mission is simple. "We're trying to put it in English, for the normal, regular Joe to understand," says Borgia. "We want Joe the plumber to read it and understand it."

Here's a special little TrueHoop experiment. Try writing a rule of your own. If wording is the trouble, maybe we can help with the wording, right?

Thanks to David Stern (great name, huh?) at Mixed Ink for setting up a place where everyone can propose new versions of this rule, and then vote on and steal from other versions of the rule. Click here to see for yourself, or give it a whirl.

After the jump is the full text of the NBA's and NCAA's existing rules, to use as starting points (FIBA's rule is nearly identical to the NCAA's.)

NBA Rule
A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.

The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

NCAA Rule
A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:

a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be
the pivot foot;
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultane-
ously land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.

b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both; neither foot can then be the pivot foot.

After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

After coming to a stop when neither foot can be the pivot foot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. Neither foot shall be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble

everyone does that *@%# anyway ... dude from syracuse did it 7 times last night and got hung once lol

Gunna a jumpstop is not an illegal move it is quite legal, in Europe its taught from a young age its just most players I see in the US cant execute itwithout traveling.

Over here it is taught that if u dribble running or walking and u come to a jumpstop when both feet make contact with the floor at the exact same time u canthen choose wich foot u use to pivot on because there is not yet a pivot foot established.

A jumpstop gives u the right to choose your pivot foot without it being a travel aslong as u only lift 1 of the 2 planted feet u can extend the non pivot footas far as u want and advance one step.

A player like Hakeem had incredible footwork and look how he dominated some of the most physically gifted centers like i said its an art-form n when executedcorrectly gives u an advantage over strength n power.

Manu Ginobli is a great example of using great footwork to advance and slice through defences without traveling and that is the FIBA in his game from growingup in Argentina and then playing professionally in Europe.

Peace
Scottie

Maybe the way u were taught it isnt but thats my point different rules for the same game thats why alot of US players get called for violations in the FIBAtournaments

[h1]Basketball Fundamentals - the Jump Stop[/h1]From the Coach's Clipboard Basketball Playbook, @ http://www.coachesclipboard.net
The jump stop is helpful offensive footwork that can be used at the end of a dribble, or to receive a pass and be in triple threat position. Atthe end of a speed dribble, young players will often stop, fall forward from their momentum, and get a traveling call. Ending the speed dribble with a jumpstop will prevent the traveling violation. The jump stop is executed by the player, who is on the run, taking one small step and then landing on both feetsimultaneously in proper balance (not leaning forward). When receiving a pass with a jump stop, either foot can be used as the pivot foot. This is especiallyhelpful for the low post player.

There is often confusion on what is or is not traveling and when do you still have a pivot allowable after a jump stop. I have quoted the rulesbelow. My interpretation is this... it depends on whether you already have possession of the ball or not (as in receiving a pass), and whether or not you havealready used up the one-step that you are entitled to. When receiving a pass with a jump-stop, you can pivot after the jump-stop and either foot can become thepivot foot. This is especially helpful for post players. A perimeter player can catch the ball with a jump-stop, and the pivot into triple-threat position ifnecessary and use the non-pivot foot for executing jab-step fakes or a drive step.

Now let's take a player who already has possession of the ball on the outside. He/she makes a dribble move into the lane, picks up thedribble, takes one step, and then lands a two-footed jump-stop. So far, so good. But after landing the jump-stop, he/she cannot move either foot and has nopivot foot since the one step was already used up prior to the jump-stop. He/she could jump upward, but must either shoot or pass the ball before either foottouches the floor again.

The following is taken from the National Federation of State High Schools web-site in regard to this rule.

[table][tr][td]
"The traveling rule has not changed. What has changed is the common use of the jump stop as an offensive move. Officials and coaches are having difficulty determining the difference between a legal and illegal move. The key to making this determination properly is first finding the pivot foot. Then, if the player moves a foot or the feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball, a traveling violation has occurred. The limits follow:

1. A player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.
2. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:

a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands;

(1) Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
(2) On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
(3) On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

b. If one foot is on the floor;

(1) It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
(2) The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

3. After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

c. The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

4. After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. Neither foot may be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble."
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Maybe the way u were taught it isnt but thats my point different rules for the same game thats why alot of US players get called for violations in the FIBA tournaments
What do you mean the way you were taught?
laugh.gif

Basketball was invented in the USA. Anybody with a clue knows you can't pivot after you do a jumpstop. Does having anything to do with how somebody wastaught. That's a fundamental principle of the game of basketball. What some other country does or what FIBA does is irrelevant......we invented the damngame. I think that gives us some precedence in rule setting right?

this is ridiculous. might as well think of ways to punt the ball into the basket to evolve/devolve the game.

For guys like Wilt, and Kareem and Shaq they changed rules to make it harder for those guys to dominate.

And now for Letravel, they want to make it easier for him.
grin.gif

Nothing like a league helping someone be great.
smh.gif

the nba is very unwatchable for me sometimes because of all the travelling nowadays.

not to mention all the touch fouls they call

they really need to do something to be more strict on travelling instead of allowing it.

i cant believe this, im in shock

WOW sheer stupidity by the Association. The 'crab dribble' may very well be a legal move, I've never seen it executed like it's supposed to be.One thing I do know is that @%$% LeBron did against the Wizards that he called a 'crab dribble' was a damn travel all day every day. And if they makeTHAT move legal, then the league is just going to lose further audiences.

It's just a matter of time before the logo is changed to this

mertNBA_LebronPowder400.jpg

and we are looking at the LBA (Lebron Basketball Association)

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Maybe the way u were taught it isnt but thats my point different rules for the same game thats why alot of US players get called for violations in the FIBA tournaments
What do you mean the way you were taught?
laugh.gif

Basketball was invented in the USA. Anybody with a clue knows you can't pivot after you do a jumpstop. Does having anything to do with how somebody was taught. That's a fundamental principle of the game of basketball. What some other country does or what FIBA does is irrelevant......we invented the damn game. I think that gives us some precedence in rule setting right?

Dude read the article I posted from a US Basketball coaches website b4 u make yaself look stupid it clearly says in any situation where u come to a jump stop ucan pick your pivot foot.

I guess u wernt taught correctly either if u believe u cant pivot after u make a jump stop it is fully legal it says in the rules i posted on page 2 wether uplayin High school ,College,FIBA or NBA.

Basketball may have been invented in the US great but a League like the NBA that bends and changes the rules to suit itself and its players only harms thegame, FIBA rules apply in every country outside of the United States so the WHOLE World minus the USA learn to play under these rules which are also used inOlympic and World championship competitions.

Real basketball players dont need the rules changed to help them they can dominate inside the rules of the game if u wanna travel carry n make rules up as u goalong go hit the playground with all the cry babys who cant win unless they cheat.

Peace
Scottie

Back
Top Bottom