So what exactly goes on during an NBA practice?

I always though that it was mainly going over plays, shooting, weight lifting and some film.

I also kinda thought that one thing they don't do is go over fundamentals since the players are professionals there's certain things they should be able to do...and if they can't do them well then they have to figure out on their own time.

Anyone have any insight?

Shoot, practice free throws, go over the game plan, run some plays, conditioning if needed, and watch film.

At least, I know that is what alot of the Mavs practices consist of. It will vary with each practice though obviously.

They play basketball.*

*This does not apply to the Cleveland Cavaliers. They use the majority of practice time to work on dance moves, handshakes, and new poses.

Depends on the team. My local team (TWolves) is horrid plus all really young so the coaches "teach" more during their practices. They literally go over and over basic drills and moves.

It also varies by the month, i.e. when players start to tire or they have a lot of games say in a given week.

But in general Trelvis is pretty much on from what I've seen/heard.

A lot of NBA teams come into my work for practice, or if its the day of the game it is a shootaround. If it is not a game day, there are a few different things that the teams do. They usually take around 20 minutes to let the players shoot around, and then they huddle up, go over what they want to work on specifically that day, and then take a long time to warm up. The Mavs when they came in did a lot of shooting competitions to warm up, and some 3 man weaves and 5 man weaves. Some other teams just have them jog up and down with different dribbling moves. Most teams do not go hard at all, it is basically a little harder than walking. They usually break up into two different groups, with big men on one side and guards on the other, then do different drills like shooting, pick and rolls, and post moves.

After that they usually make groups and run their sets up and down the court for a few trips, just going over their plays. After that they usually get into a half court controlled scrimmage or a full court controlled scrimmage. If it's a half court scrimmage, they take turns running the opponent that they are going to play next (the Warriors are the case when they come to my work) and they work on how they want to play the pick and rolls depending on if its Curry, Ellis, Maggette, etc. so basically just so they can see their sets and everyone knows how it should be played and so everyone knows the calls to make. When they move to full court they usually just try to run their own sets, and teams like the Sixers play short games to 5, everything 1 point. The teams usually go hard at this time, and by far the Mavs were the hardest practice team I have seen so far this year. This is basically what they do, teams usually say they want to practice for 2 hours, but it never goes for that long, usually an hour and 15 minutes is how long they go, and most players ice up or talk to the media, and everyone who doesn't do that immediately just shoots a lot of shots til they leave.

If it is the day of the game, it is really a Walkthrough. Only one team so far this year came in and watched film, which were the Nets. Many players don't even take their sweats off, and a lot of them barely get a sweat going. They just take time and stay half court, going over the sets that the other team is going to run that night, and make sure they know even more what the tendencies of what the other team wants to do, and what they look for. There is some shooting done, and it only usually lasts an hour at most. I've seen several NBA teams this year, and this is what usually goes on. Hope that helps. All the players are really cool, and I feel really lucky that I get to watch them practice.

i know what my Magic be practicing...

Vince Carter Hits Full Court Shot Sitting Down - Watch more Funny Videos

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Depends on the coach..I went to a Mavs practice once when Avery was the coach and it was similar to a high school practice...

They ran 3 man weaves. The only thing I saw was different was they had a no dribble scrimmage.

Thanks LazyJ. Yea I work at this placed called the Olympic Club in SF. The sixers came in for two days, I have those pics but haven't posted them up yet. Up next coming that just confirmed are the Raptors and the Lakers.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Practice?

We not making posts about the game, where the players play their hearts out... We making posts about Practice.

...not a game, not a game, not the game, practice.  We talkin bout...practice?....

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

Practice?

We not making posts about the game, where the players play their hearts out... We making posts about Practice.

...not a game, not a game, not the game, practice.  We talkin bout...practice?....

Now how the hell am I supposed to make my teammates better by going to practice?

pimp.gif
Originally Posted by DLo13

They play basketball.*

*This does not apply to the Cleveland Cavaliers. They use the majority of practice time to work on dance moves, handshakes, and new poses.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

They play basketball.*

laugh.gif

get nba tv. they always have video of a bunch of team practices before every season. great to watch for any basketball fan

They play basketball.*

roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom