Some sad **** man: 1,250 people have spent about 12,000 years in prison for wrongful convictions

mean.gif

[h3]The Number of Exonerations Continues to Grow[/h3]
As of Dec 2013 the number of exonerations documented in the United States was 1,250.

Exonerations nationwide are documented in The National Registry of Exonerations,which is a joint project of the Michigan Law School  and Northwestern University School of Law. The registry is a searchable and detailed database of information about those who have been exonerated from prison in the United States.

Samuel R. Gross, law professor at the University of Michigan School of Law , and Rob Warden, executive director of The Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern School of Law, began reviewing data on exonerations in the United States in 1989.

In 2012, with the help of law student Michael Shaffer and many other volunteers, they published a comprehensive review of exonerations on a national scale and launched the website for the National Registry of Exonerations The report contains extensive research data from 1989 to 2012. The three help to define and clarify exonerations and the processes behind them. The report also significantly explained in large detail reasons for wrongful convictions. Here are some excerpts from the inaugural report from The National Registry of Exonerations.

“DNA exonerations also take longer than non-DNA exonerations; the median time from conviction is 14.9 years compared to 7.8 years. This is true for homicide cases, where the median time is 15 years with DNA and 11.9 years without; for sexual assault cases, where the comparable numbers are 14.6 years and 7.1 years; and for child sex abuse exonerations, where the median times are 17 years with DNA and 5.9 without DNA.”

“The 873 exonerations in the Registry  come from 43 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, 19 federal districts, and the military. They are very unevenly distributed by state, and especially when broke down by county. This suggests we are missing many cases – both innocent defendants from jurisdictions where exonerations are vanishingly rare, and exonerated defendants whose cases have received little or no public attention.”

Along with detailing information regarding DNA testing for exonerations and national data, Gross and Ward explain the types of situations that may lead to wrongful incarceration. These situations are many and varied though common themes tie them together. Some of the most egregious wrongful convictions stem from official misconduct on behalf of law enforcement or the courts.

“The range of misconduct is very large. It includes flagrantly abusive investigative practices that produce the types of false evidence we have discussed: committing or procuring perjury; torture; threats or other highly coercive interrogations; threatening or lying to eyewitnesses; forensic fraud. At the far end, it includes framing innocent suspects for crimes that never occurred. The most common serious form of official misconduct is concealing exculpatory evidence from the defendant and the court.”

The average number of exonerations has grown by about 220 cases per year. The website is an invaluable resource that is intuitively designed and makes searching out exonerees a simple task. The website allows the user to search using name, exoneration date, contributing factors to exoneration, location, and status. The website also provides relatively short biographies of those profiled and their history regarding their exoneration.

Here's a link to the website where y'all can read some of the stories :

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Pages/about.aspx

These are some of the featured exonerations:

David Boyce
State:  VA
Date of exoneration:  9/18/2013
In 1991, David Boyce was sentenced to life in prison for capital murder. At trial, the killer was said to have shoulder length hair. Boyce was exonerated after it was discovered that prosecutors concealed a photograph of him taken on the day of the crime, with short hair. 

Reginald Griffin
State:  MO
Date of exoneration:  10/25/2013
In 1983, Reginald Griffin, a Missouri prison inmate, was sentenced to death for the stabbing death of a fellow inmate. In 2011, the conviction was reversed after a critical witness recanted and it was revealed that the prosecution had concealed evidence that another inmate was the killer. Griffin (pictured with his mother, Jonnie Mae after his release in 2012) was exonerated in October 2013.

Daniel Taylor
State:  IL
Date of exoneration:  6/28/2013
Arrested at age 17, Daniel Taylor was sentenced to life without parole for a 1992 double murder in Chicago. Investigations by the Chicago Tribune, the Illinois Attorney General's Office and the Center on Wrongful Convictions revealed that police and prosecutors lied and concealed evidence that Taylor was in police custody at the time of the murders.

David Munchinski
State:  PA
Date of exoneration:  6/1*****13
David Munchinski was convicted of a 1977 double murder in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and sentenced to life in prison. He was exonerated after his daughter and students at the Innocence Institute at Park Point University showed that the prosecution concealed evidence that the only witness who claimed to have seen the killings had lied, and evidence that others were the real killers. 

Seth Penalver
State:  FL
Date of exoneration:  12/21/2012
Seth Penalver was sentenced to death in Florida in 1999 for a triple murder after his first trial ended with a hung jury. No physical evidence linked him to the crime and two supposed eyewitnesses testified they could not identify him. His conviction was reversed and he was acquitted on December 21, 2012, when new evidence confirmed that police pressured witnesses to identify him and concealed a payment to one witness. 

Cathy Watkins
State:  NY
Date of exoneration:  12/13/2012
Cathy Watkins (left), Eric Glisson, Devon Ayers, Michael Cosme and Carlos Perez  were sentenced to 25 years to life for the 1995 murder of a livery driver in the Bronx. In 2012, a federal investigation identified the real killers, two gang members who admitted their guilt. Watkins and Glisson were released on December 13. Ayers, Cosme and Perez remain in prison while they seek a new trial in a related case. 

I can't even imagine being on the yard serving time for some **** I know I didn't do, let alone football numbers 
mean.gif

I know some states have programs in place were you get compensation tied to the amount of time you were locked up but you can't really put a price on someone's freedom IMO, especially when you consider the fact these are years that could have been spent with friends, family, significant others, etc. you can't get that **** back 
mean.gif

Last edited:
This is why ppl don't trust the "justice system". You got people serving Football numbers for crimes they didn't commit and cold killers walking free on technicalities.

Sad man :smh:

Nothing new here, but as technology gets better hopefully the number of false convictions go down as well. I watched a documentary about a man falsely convicted of the rape of a women, she studied him as he raped her, and at the eye witness testimony she picked a guy off the line. In reality, the guy who raped her wasn't even in the line up. Dude spent around 11 years in prison for nothing. :smh:

So my hopes are with the rise in technology to help us find criminals, and if we reduce eye witness testimonies, the system would be a little more just.

Last edited:
Nothing new here, but as technology gets better hopefully the number of false convictions go down as well. I watched a documentary about a man falsely convicted of the rape of a women, she studied him as he raped her, and at the eye witness testimony she picked a guy off the line. In reality, the guy who raped her wasn't even in the line up. Dude spent around 11 years in prison for nothing.
mean.gif

So my hopes are with the rise in technology to help us find criminals, and if we reduce eye witness testimonies, the system would be a little more just.
 I  agree that technological advancements  should help as far as DNA goes but  did you read the article and look at some of  the featured exonerations I highlighted or any of the cases on the website?  

Almost half of  the 1250 cases involved some type of Official misconduct ranging from coercing witnesses to concealing evidence, technology can't help with that bruh

Last edited:
What's worst is that although we highlight a few, there are thousands more who will never be exonerated.

What justice system?

Last edited:
Nothing new here, but as technology gets better hopefully the number of false convictions go down as well. I watched a documentary about a man falsely convicted of the rape of a women, she studied him as he raped her, and at the eye witness testimony she picked a guy off the line. In reality, the guy who raped her wasn't even in the line up. Dude spent around 11 years in prison for nothing. :smh:

I agree that technological advancements should help as far as DNA goes but did you read the article and look at the highlighted exonerations or any of the cases on the website? 

Almost half of  the 1250 cases involved some type of Official misconduct ranging from coercing witnesses to concealing evidence, technology can't help with that bruh

True, but it will get that other %50. Which is a drastic reduction in the numbers. The corruption can only be fixed by changing the people. If citizens are more educated on their rights, and law enforcement gets a tougher screening process or some kind of reform in the justice system that number can change. But not too many people look at this kind of this, which is the sad part about it

There's two sides. On the one hand, it's a relatively small system trying to process a large amount of crimes. On the other hand, these ****** don't give a **** about a broke *****. Start taking money from these police departments that constantly arrest/try/convict the wrong person...I think the number will go down. CREAM

Nothing new here, but as technology gets better hopefully the number of false convictions go down as well. I watched a documentary about a man falsely convicted of the rape of a women, she studied him as he raped her, and at the eye witness testimony she picked a guy off the line. In reality, the guy who raped her wasn't even in the line up. Dude spent around 11 years in prison for nothing.
mean.gif

I  agree that technological advancements  should help as far as DNA goes but  did you read the article and look at the highlighted exonerations or any of the cases on the website?  

True, but it will get that other %50. Which is a drastic reduction in the numbers. The corruption can only be fixed by changing the people. If citizens are more educated on their rights, and law enforcement gets a tougher screening process or some kind of reform in the justice system that number can change. But not too many people look at this kind of this, which is the sad part about it
Yep, sad but very true 

eyes.gif
 Aware me how this is old news? This project compiling the exonerations was just launched last year with 891 cases and has been growing since

6/28/2013
Arrested at age 17, Daniel Taylor was sentenced to life without parole for a 1992 double murder in Chicago. Investigations by the Chicago Tribune, the Illinois Attorney General's Office and the Center on Wrongful Convictions revealed that police and prosecutors lied and concealed evidence that Taylor was in police custody at the time of the murders.

Wow, you'd think that would be a good alibi.

Last edited:
:rolleyes  Aware me how this is old news? This project compiling the exonerations was just launched last year with 891 cases and has been growing since
Innocent people in jail?!?!? Lord no!
Jail system corrupt!!

Old news, meh

Last edited:
Innocent people in jail?!?!? Lord no!
Jail system corrupt!!

Old news, meh

People like this are the reason it will never change. If this news means nothing to you, I can only imagine what other kind of news you just sweep under the rug.

Good post OP. Def going to look into this and see how much more people end up getting exonerated

This is why ppl don't trust the "justice system". You got people serving Football numbers for crimes they didn't commit and cold killers walking free on technicalities.

Sad man :smh:
its a damn shame :smh:

People like this are the reason it will never change. If this news means nothing to you, I can only imagine what other kind of news you just sweep under the rug.

Good post OP. Def going to look into this and see how much more people end up getting exonerated

We all understand that money is the law here in the US, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Another bogus prison fact is that over 80% of prison inmates charged with crack possession are black.

To give you a better idea of how ridiculous that is-- According to 2010 US Census estimates, Blacks make up less than 13% of the total population.

Last edited:
Another bogus prison fact is that over 80% of prison inmates charged with crack possession are black.

To give you a better idea of how ridiculous that is-- According to 2010 US Census estimates, Blacks make up less than 13% of the total population.

You do realize that a portion of that 13% could still make up 80% of crack possession charges, correct?

You do realize that a portion of that 13% could still make up 80% of crack possession charges, correct?

Not sure if you're being serious :\

"In US Federal courts in 2007, 5,477 individuals were found guilty of crack cocaine-related crimes. "

Theres about 34.5 million blacks in the US.. of course 5 thousand is a tiny portion of 34.5 mil but thats way off the point.

regardless of how small the "portion of that 13%" is, its still a way larger portion than any other group....

to make it easier for non statistical folks, 8 out of every 10 crack prison sentences are given to black people.
on average about 1 out of every 10 americans is black.

i hate to emphasis racial problems, but it is what it is. btw i loveeee all people from everywhere. i just don't like when people are being taken advantage of, especially when they don't even understand the level of manipulation.

Last edited:
Ever get the feeling that we're just not safe out here?

Stuff makes me not want to ever leave the house.

Last edited:

Not sure if you're being serious :\

"In US Federal courts in 2007, 5,477 individuals were found guilty of crack cocaine-related crimes. "

Theres about 34.5 million blacks in the US.. of course 5 thousand is a tiny portion of 34.5 mil but thats way off the point.

regardless of how small the "portion of that 13%" is, its still a way larger portion than any other group....

to make it easier for non statistical folks, 8 out of every 10 crack prison sentences are given to black people.
on average about 1 out of every 10 americans is black.

i hate to emphasis racial problems, but it is what it is. btw i loveeee all people from everywhere. i just don't like when people are being taken advantage of, especially when they don't even understand the level of manipulation.

Based on the percentage you gave, there would have been 26,905 black federal prisoners in 2010.

You said that in 2007, 5,477 individuals were found guilty of crack cocaine-related crimes. Lets just round that up to 5,500. 80% of that would be 4,400.

That's why is said:

Last edited:
Based on the percentage you gave, there would have been 26,905 black federal prisoners in 2010.

You said that in 2007, 5,477 individuals were found guilty of crack cocaine-related crimes. Lets just round that up to 5,500. 80% of that would be 4,400.

That's why is said:

this is NT not middle school math class, thats too much common sense bro. stop!!

i DONT TRUST THE SYSTEM AT ALL SINCE THEY CAN CONVICT ON CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE, LIKE JUST BECAUSE YOU KNEW THE VICTIM AND YOU PING OFF A CELL PHONE TOWER NEARBYE AND YOU HAVE NO ALIBI

Back
Top Bottom