Some say chivalry is dead now? do you think so?

I'm starting to think that before this time of mass communication that Chivalry probably never existed....

I think when people read more or watched TV as a primary source of information instead of the internet where anyone's opinion matters, that people weren't trained to accept those ideas and morals. They didn't have a source from which to draw upon. Now with blogs and social media, we see that men and women probably always acted this way towards each other but now we just have more validation for it. Its probably easy for us to say its dead because we are under the impression that back then things were much more different...when the truth might be that back then, there were less sources of public information and influence, thus having a more direct impact.

If you have books and TV shows that impact entire generations and teach them how to speak and interact, thats much different than the internet showing people out of their element and being naturally rejective of some of these ideals...

Also, the feminist movement helped aid this so...

it may seem like it's dead but you'll still see it. if i'm on the train i always let a pregnant woman or elderly person sit before me. always hold doors open for ladies, etc. it's not about sexism, sometimes it's just considered being nice.

it may seem like it's dead but you'll still see it. if i'm on the train i always let a pregnant woman or elderly person sit before me. always hold doors open for ladies, etc. it's not about sexism, sometimes it's just considered being nice.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

tricking and simpin' are the contemporary vestiges of chivalry  

They always have been is what I'm saying.

When we've got so many forms of media now, its ALL we see instead of controlled images for how males should be acting in society.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense... say back when women had very little to do with media... if guys thought tricking was just awful, they probably didn't show much of it on TV or in the movies back then. They probably didn't want to enforce that sort of behavior in their media at the time because they knew it wasn't beneficial.

Its a vague idea, i'll admit, but I think its somewhat of a product of the times we live in .

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

tricking and simpin' are the contemporary vestiges of chivalry  

They always have been is what I'm saying.

When we've got so many forms of media now, its ALL we see instead of controlled images for how males should be acting in society.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense... say back when women had very little to do with media... if guys thought tricking was just awful, they probably didn't show much of it on TV or in the movies back then. They probably didn't want to enforce that sort of behavior in their media at the time because they knew it wasn't beneficial.

Its a vague idea, i'll admit, but I think its somewhat of a product of the times we live in .

EDIT:

I think it's 50/50. IMHO, you can't teach chivalry; it's part of your personality. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS. The other day I asked a pregnant woman in line if she needed help putting her groceries on the counter. The door thing should be universal; a little courtesy goes a long way.

EDIT:

I think it's 50/50. IMHO, you can't teach chivalry; it's part of your personality. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS. The other day I asked a pregnant woman in line if she needed help putting her groceries on the counter. The door thing should be universal; a little courtesy goes a long way.

Originally Posted by hieu23

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by gHeTtOnOyPi

Originally Posted by Luong1209

If I'm exiting out of a building (school or wherever) and you're close, I hold the door. I think it's a nice gesture.
This.

i hold the door for everyone, it's kinda d*ckish and awkward if u don't

agreed.  like why the hell wouldnt you?  i mean youve already opened it and someone is RIGHT THERE
laugh.gif
 and yeah i like to talk to others around me.  doesnt really matter who it is, its just nice hearing about other people's days and whatnot.

Originally Posted by hieu23

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by gHeTtOnOyPi

Originally Posted by Luong1209

If I'm exiting out of a building (school or wherever) and you're close, I hold the door. I think it's a nice gesture.
This.

i hold the door for everyone, it's kinda d*ckish and awkward if u don't

agreed.  like why the hell wouldnt you?  i mean youve already opened it and someone is RIGHT THERE
laugh.gif
 and yeah i like to talk to others around me.  doesnt really matter who it is, its just nice hearing about other people's days and whatnot.

Originally Posted by SKYFLYDUl

I think it's 50/50. IMHO, you can't teach chivalry; it's part of your personality. For me, I learned it from my dad with my sisters. The other day I asked a pregnant woman in line if she needed help putting her groceries on the counter. The door thing should be universal; a little courtesy goes a long way.

you're contradicting yourself fam

Originally Posted by SKYFLYDUl

I think it's 50/50. IMHO, you can't teach chivalry; it's part of your personality. For me, I learned it from my dad with my sisters. The other day I asked a pregnant woman in line if she needed help putting her groceries on the counter. The door thing should be universal; a little courtesy goes a long way.

you're contradicting yourself fam

Back
Top Bottom