Someone explain to me the evolution of the Lakers

I see that there a good team and I am no dismissing that. This post is about how just 4 years ago they were almost 15 games under .500 and the next few yearsthey were barely .500 team. I understand that Pau Gasol trade really helped them but is he really that big of a difference maker?

Has Kobe really progressed that much in 4 years that the Lakers are almost a sure bet that they can get to the finals now year in and year out?

Take the Lakers
  • Subtract worthless Smush, who is currently not in the league
  • Subtract Kwame, who is currently showing Detroit that it can get worse than Darko (or is he in Memphis, being worth less than rookies who just joined the team?)
  • Subtract Kareem Rush, who, last I hear, had jumpshot his shoulder out of socket
  • Subtract Brian Cook, who is scheduled to shoot 58 consecutive jumpers tonight... for one of the NHL Stanley Cup intermissions
  • Now add Pau, who can hit a jumper more consistently than any of them, and he's also pretty good at something you can't teach (height, for those of you not keeping up)
  • Add a tall deepball threat in VladRad... then subtract a defensiveless giant in VladRad
  • Somehow Walton contributes something. I'm not sure if he's an addition or a subtraction, but he's on the team still, and I figure Phil and Buss are better analysts than me, so we'll call him an addition
  • Odom is still nice with it, though crazy inconsistent
  • Bynum is tall; that's always nice
  • result: back-to-back Finals

the evolution?

well, i don't think there are lakes in los angeles.

there are plenty of lakes in minnesota, but not as many celebrities, apparently.

gasol is a top 5 PF in the league. Add a low post threat like that next to one of the best players in the world and of course the team will be completelychanged. Especially when you didn't have to give up ANYTHING for him.

Imagine putting an elite low-post threat on the Cavs, or the Heat. Put someone like Bosh on the Heat roster and they'll go from a barely .500 team to achampionship contender. Easy.

or maybe because their whole team is different.

They only have 1 person who started on the 2005 team that started on the 2009.

Its not an evolution its a complete revamp, the whole team is different.

yea how can they get it together in soo little bit of time, and there's team who go a decade without even making the play-offs
tired.gif

just 4 years ago they were almost 15 games under .500 and the next few years they were barely .500 team.
Significant minutes for Smush and Kwame will do that.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Take the Lakers
  • Subtract worthless Smush, who is currently not in the league
  • Subtract Kwame, who is currently showing Detroit that it can get worse than Darko (or is he in Memphis, being worth less than rookies who just joined the team?)
  • Subtract Kareem Rush, who, last I hear, had jumpshot his shoulder out of socket
  • Subtract Brian Cook, who is scheduled to shoot 58 consecutive jumpers tonight... for the NHL halftime show
  • Now add Pau, who can hit a jumper more consistently than any of them, and he's also pretty good at something you can't teach (height, for those of you not keeping up)
  • Add a tall deepball threat in VladRad... then subtract a defensiveless giant in VladRad
  • Somehow Walton contributes something. I'm not sure if he'san addition or a subtraction, but he's on the team still, and I figure Phil and Buss are better analysts than me, so we'll call him an addition
  • Odom is still nice with it, though crazy inconsistent
  • Bynum is tall; that's always nice
  • result: back-to-back Finals

/ THREAD! -

close this already SKA

When Smush is your starting PG, and Kwame Brown is your starting C, and how far Kobe took them....I'll say that's a successful season

It amazing how they went from a team that was in limbo, to the best team on the planet. That tells you how quick the landscape of the NBA can change.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

It amazing how they went from a team that was in limbo, to the best team on the planet. That tells you how quick the landscape of the NBA can change.
True,

just look at the Celtics of last year, that was the definition of building a Championship team overnight. Things don't always have to be a slow process toturn a team around

& of course the KG & Pau robberies/acquisitions had something to do with it
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

I guess when you are as good as Kobe you can throw a organization under the bus to get your way

It worked so who am I to pass judgement
frown.gif

Damn, Ska nailed it. I didn't even think about VladRad. He's been off my radar ever since he was traded, forgot he was a Laker entirely.

TH0MAS CR0WN:
I NaSmatic I:
610x.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit
I hear you, man.

And that picture just lot me $20. I told a friend once that Brian Cook was NEVER in the paint as a Lakers, and he swore to me up and down that it happenedonce. He couldn't remember who it ws, but he promised me that for a brief millisecond one game, Mr. Brian Cook... was actually... in the paint. Apparentlya cameraman caught that millisecond, and now I have to pay $20.
smh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

^ Those years were so painful as a fan.

laugh.gif
you ain't lyin. Lookin back, I see how bad off we were. Like lookin at an old middle school pic like
eek.gif
sick.gif
i used to wear that?!

What? McHale can hook up his old team but Jerry West can't do the same?

Bah-humbug.

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom