someone PLEASE explain to me how making potential NBA players stay in college is a good thing

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by fontaine, Mar 13, 2014.

1. fontaine

fontaine Banned

i'm not sure what i'm missing... but this is ridiculous.

i searched for a thread and couldnt find one, so excuse if this is repetitive...

but can anyone legitimately argue for this rule?

the only thing i can think of is the NBA being a private institution and can discriminate against anyone they want ... but even that sounds kind of janky...

please make me understand what all these analysts / sports bloggers are saying.. b/c i just dont understand it.

2. dland24

dland24

Players being forced to stay longer in college would make the college game 1000x better. There are other arguments, but quite frankly, thats the only argument that matters to me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. AZwildcats

AZwildcats

I think it increases the quality of the players entering the NBA, although dudes like Kobe and LBJ kinda make that theory look bad [​IMG]

4. ill steelo

ill steelo

I agree Ricky.

Beating up on hapless non-professionals for an extra season doesn't help the player's development as much as practicing & playing against the best players on the planet every night.

Iron sharpens iron.

Plus we see 4 year guys go on to the NBA & do absolutely nothing all the time. If he's a good player, he'll figure it out.

5. aNYone

aNYone

Money Money Money

They tryna make college a pseudo d league. They want a more competitive atmosphere.

And if those top prospects stay longer they become more recognizable therefore bringing in more revenue

College football sometimes have legitimate superstars that make millions for the school and networks over a few years IE Reggie bush, Tim tebow, Vince young, johnny manziel

Basketball players usually don't stay long enough for that to happen

Personally i think they should just forgo college all together if they're that good.The college season is glorified camp or aau for the elite players

6. pmatic

pmatic

To create hype for when they enter the NBA.

But I kind of think the true intention of this two year rule is to funnel the elite HS players towards the D-League.

7. niketalker23

niketalker23

Look at Ben McLamore and you'll have your answer.

8. trueprada

trueprada

success rate is low but ie bender 

but i say let them cook if they not good enough thats what the d league for right 

9. dmxfury

dmxfury Moderator

So players don't develop in the NBA and hurt the quality of play. Of course there are exceptions like a LeBron but generally speaking the HS players need work. NBA prefers that initial improvement to happen elsewhere. Not a fan of it and unfair to NCAA as well since tey don't have a say in it while the NBA essentially forces one and dones on them

10. RyGuy45

RyGuy45

This. The NBA does not need to be a development league (as much as possible). I'm all for players staying in school as long as they can, even if I do admit the system is flawed. But I'm not a player worrying about my rights....I'm a paying customer.

Barkley's take this week :lol:

11. willzway26

willzway26

Nah I don't believe that college makes players better. 

Every player I've seen go to college never got any better.  Matter of fact I think college hurt them more than helped.

In college you don't really develop.  You just play in whoever's the coach's system.  That's why there are so many tweeners.  In college if you're 6'8 ur gonna be a 4 even if you and everyone else knows ur gonna be a 3 in the League.  I can go on and on about how many 6'3 two guards end up playing on the bench in the L because their NBA position is a 1.

Honestly, after looking at the All Star HS games from last year, every single one of those prospects, Parker, WIggins, Randle, etc play exactly the same as they do in college as they did in HS.  Wiggins still can't shoot, Parker hasn't changed in body type or athleticism, Randle is exactly the same if not worse because he plays with 3 other freshmen, Aaron Gordon still can't dribble or shoot, etc.  I just hate hearing about how college is supposed to help develop these players.  I have not seen one player develop anything in college, except your 4 year guy who was off the draft radar to start with.  Even Oladipo, who they said developed so much in college, all he does in the League is run and dunk.

All college does is give you exposure to the mainstream audience.  If ppl said players should stay in college to make themselves more marketable or a household name, I could go with that, but this nonsense about college develops NBA prospects, you can miss me w all that garbage

fontaine likes this.
  12. pmatic

pmatic

Tom Haberstroh:

jthagreat likes this.
  13. hank scorpio

hank scorpio

This argument would the equivalent to people comparing everyday college dropouts to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

14. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

Players that come into the NBA undeveloped have a slim chance of developing once they hit the NBA in the way that they could develop on the college level.

Take a player like Daniel Orton. If he would have stayed in college, he would have been able to see success when working on his post game against college players through practice and in games. When he gets to the NBA, he has to practice against NBA players so the likelihood of the moves he is practing in one-on-one drills succeeding is slim. So his confidence is shot.

The same can be said for any player at any position. Developing your skills vs. weaker competition so it can translate into confidence in those same moves on the next level.

15. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

Are you being serious? How do you feel they don't get better? What exactly are you basing that off of? Serious question.

And you are ignoring the fact that it takes TIME to develop. You bring up A. Gordon. And you say that he still can't shoot/dribble. Look at it like a role playing game. Yes, my level might still be a 47. But that doesn't mean he shoots/dribble the same as he did when he came into Arizona. And I can't even agree that he hasn't gotten better in those areas when comparing him to a year ago. One year isn't going to take him from average to GREAT. I don't know, I just don't understand your argument here. Seems like you are looking for instant improvements.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  16. fontaine

fontaine Banned

but dude made an excellent point...

these cats are the same people that they were when they left high school.

and how are they developing when they're playing alongside other undeveloped, unproven players?

that to me doesn't make him better....

you REALLY think he made more leaps as a college player playing against maybe ONE nba player in practice, maybe 6 nba players all season, while having limits on his time to be in the gym with his coaches?

or would he have been better in the gym 5 hours a day, on an nba diet, with NBA coaches, playing against NBA players every day?

its clearly for the dollars, which I aint mad at... but I wonder why this rule doesn't apply to the mlb, hockey, soccer, or golf...

17. 100027

NBA feels it's good for the NBA. They don't have to take risks over younger kids. It's really that simple

18. jking0821

jking0821

But why can't it be possible. Like the NBA is a business they have the right to look at an 18 year old kid and say no we would rather draft the sophomore out of college who has tourney experience. But why aren't kids given the option.

If you are about to enter college and an nba team says we would draft you num 1 over all in the upcoming draft if we could....then you should be able to seek that employment opportunity. If you think it will degrade the quality of play then don't draft a kid. But the choice should still be there. The only real reason is money. College wants the money these kids generate. Imagine what colleges would have done if lebron was forced to play a year.

When it was ok to skip college and go right to the league it wasn't like tons of kids were doing it. They realized college was the best route to showcase themselves and get more money in the draft. I think its not fair to "protect" the nba game from "lower quality play" or "riskier" picks at the expense of these kids. It should be just like any other job. If you think the young kid can turn out to be the best employee you have...you hire him. Or you say...go gain more experience and come back in 2 years.

19. roorswervin

roorswervin

Making kids stay in college longer wouldn't hurt anyone as players. 

Making kids stay in college longer wouldn't hurt the NBA game. 

Making kids stay in college longer WOULD help the college game......a whole hell of a lot.

20. itsaboutthattime

itsaboutthattime

In america, you can join the armed forces at 18..

My stance is, if you are good enough to get drafted at whatever age and a parent or legal guardian is willing to sign a consent form for the contract then you should be allowed to get paid for your skills.. Like actors who are also entertainers

We aren't asking athletes to be brain surgeons or draft legislation.. Literally we want them to be able to put a ball in a hoop or facilitate that or prevent that from happening

Worst case they should go with the baseball system.. But I think it's a farce making these guys go to college whenever they may already possess the necessary skills for their chosen profession