Sooooo We Gone Talk About What Just Happened?

NT going down took me back to the same feels whenever my free movie site get sniped. I remember the panic I had when Noob was no more. Twas a depressing half hour til I found an alternative on reddit lol.

Methodical Management Methodical Management ?

I see those "donations" are going to good use.
The supporter subscriptions aren’t going toward hosting expenses. Since the supporter program was implemented in the fall, we collected 1,816.63 in subscription fees. (It's not a round number because we lose money due to payment processing fees.)

We have just donated that entire amount (and a little extra to reach a number of symbolic significance, 1865), to BailProject.org.

If you'd like to join us, we just set up a group fundraising page here:

Anyone who donates $100 or more will receive an exclusive NT Pocket Tee. These will not be sold.

IMG_1285 2.JPG

Just contact me with proof of your donation, your preferred shirt size, and a shipping address. Make sure you donate through our group fundraising page so your contribution is reflected in our community total.

if law enforcement were to ever seize our servers would you be obligated to tell us? Methodical Management Methodical Management
Whether obligated or not, I would tell you.

No, I don't believe so.

Sadly, we've largely been in the dark as well.

Here's what I know: yesterday afternoon, we lost contact with our server. HellaSteph HellaSteph and her team were able to establish that our site was not the only one affected. We believe the outage may have impacted the entire data center.

NikeTalk's server is hosted at a facility in downtown Chicago. The bridges were raised yesterday, but I don't know if that played any role in the duration of the outage or impeded the response.

We fully support the protests, but we did not intentionally take the site offline to make a point. NikeTalk exists to give all of you a place to speak, not to speak for all of you. It was our intention to maintain our platform, but we instead experienced an extended service outage for reasons outside of our direct control.

Our goal was to protect all of your posts and content, but if the outage had persisted we were prepared to restore the site to a rented machine from our most recent backup. (Backups are performed daily.)

It should go without saying that the team here shares your frustration and disappointment with this outage. Although our uptime record has been favorable (we've only had one other unscheduled service outage in the three years we've hosted our site from this facility, due to a power outage), we are nonetheless exploring alternative data centers.

We may experience a scheduled service outage in the process of switching to a different data center - but this will be scheduled to occur outside of peak hours and will be communicated to everyone well in advance.

I appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the unscheduled and prolonged outage.

FBI pulled me in about my recent comments in the George Floyd thread...

Don’t worry i didn’t snitch.

C28D7084-6D6D-490C-B2AA-0EEFD73AD912.jpeg

Wait the data center in a major city prone to winter disaster doesn't have other onshore/offshore redundancy?
The data center was in a central location to promote fast access times for all our users in North America. I make no apology for preferring to support Chicago over Dallas. Although we still have an uptime record of over 99.9%, we are dissatisfied with how the past 24 hours have played out and will be exploring our alternatives.

As for offshore redundancy, I don't know what kind of budget you think we're working with here, but this isn't Facebook. Even cloud hosting systems have outages now and then. Yuku hosted our database on Amazon EC2. If you remember what that was like, you'll agree that we're better off today than we've been at any prior point - and we'll continue working to improve.

I thought 2020 got to NT :smh:
You had to suspect it would come for us at some point. If this is peak 2020 for NikeTalk, I'd say we got off easy.

same with some other user on twitter, i thought work finally banned NT... but nope, WE BYKE!!! :nthat:

Back
Top Bottom