Soul and Jazz Influenced Rap Recommendations- Official Thread

Looking for some new music, any ideas? Drop whatever you've got in here. Tribe, GangStarr, Rakim...just leave a recommendation. Put someone on.

I'm not sure if you meant only artists that came out after '05 but J. Period did a great mixtape called The Messengers that featured K'Naan covering Bob Marley, Fela Kuti, & Bob Dylan. If you want songs after 2005 here's a playlist I recently put together...

1. Consequence, My Way Home
2. Theopolis London, Going Over Seas (Hasan Insane Sade Remix)
3. Jay Electronica, Jazzmatazz
4. eLZhi, Undefeated Freestyle
5. Gang Starr, Zonin (Cookin Soul Remix)
6. De La Soul, The Return of DST
7. MED f/ Talib Kweli, Classic
8. Talib Kweli f/ Mos Def & Jay Electronica, Just Begun
9. Wiz Khalifa, The Race
10. Nas, Foul Breeze
11. Nas, The World 

Oh & check out DJ Honda. Specifically the collabs he does with Jeru The Damaga, Mos Def, & other American artists. He's a Japanese DJ. There's also another Japanese DJ Deckstream who did a track with Mos Def called Life is Good. If you want instrumentals check out a DJ named Najubes. He has some really chill stuff however he passed away earlier this year...

I say this so many times but rap today is like hair metal bands back in the 80's. There are some great artists out there today but a lot of these people will look back on some of stuff they listened to & think why did they ever listen to that...

Yes, yes, yes, thanks. I just picked 2005 because it seems that after The Minstrel Show came out there has been a lack of soul. I was listening to that Mood album the other day...they don't make beats like that anymore.

Black Milk - Popular Demand 
pimp.gif

OP...you should turn this into a "Post Soulful Rap" thread.

I'd like to see peoples input for the best soulful rap period. I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of heat.

What up eddiehouse5. When you say soul/jazz, are you taking about acutal soul like Donny Hathaway & Jazz like John Coltrane/Miles Davis?

No, lol, I meant like Eric B. and Rakim, and GangStarr. Rappers that sampled those jazz and soul legends. This board is not sophisticated enough for the material you just posted.

Oh cause this right here is the truth...You can't get more Soul or Jazz than Miles & Coltrane playin' So What...
pimp.gif

This is the Japanese DJ I was telling you about, Deckstream. Not sure if you've ever heard this before featuring Mos Def.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
You are bringing the heat man. I'll leave some easy recommendations:

Little Brother- The Listening
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek- Train of Thought
Ghostface- Ironman

Yo, this might not be the convential definition of soul, but you can't get any more soulful than using this Ali clip...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. Listening to Ali school this fool had chills running down my spine...

Back
Top Bottom