Southern California Golfers

Any avid Golfers in here? If so, im looking for the best courses you guys have played. Most beautiful, most fun, most challenging courses in So Cal. Bestvalue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

the pacific palms resort in city of industry has two really good courses. you should try and check it out.

Los Verdes CC in Palos Verdes is a beautiful course. greens are tough. the break on putts is insane beacause it is so close to the water.
My dad and I have a free round at Trump, but haven't played yet. I hear Trump is a really tough course. I think La Mirada is a fun course also.

-J-

stupid yuku...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by JBug88

Los Verdes CC in Palos Verdes is a beautiful course. greens are tough. the break on putts is insane beacause it is so close to the water.
My dad and I have a free round at Trump, but haven't played yet. I hear Trump is a really tough course. I think La Mirada is a fun course also.

-J-

word. I heard its beautiful there....however, I heard people camp out to reserve a t-time. True or False?

Cheap as hell but I enjoy playing because of the elevated t's, RiverView in Santa Ana/Orange.

Also La Habra, I play a course there. Forgot the name of it, but its off of Imperial and Beach Blvd.

^
Never played Los Verdes, but Im thinking TRUE. I will call on a Monday morning and the only available tee time will be for like 3:45PM. I mean yea the days arestill decently long, but how many holes are you really going to get in teein off at 4?

I havent played RiverView in atleast 5-6 years but i HATED that place. I mean condition aside (playing fairly cheap LA/OC muni's the conditions are allgoing to be mediocre to bad) I just hated the setup of that track. I would much rather play Willowick than Riverview and that aint sayin much.

Growing up in the Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley area I've played most of the cheap muni tracks in the area. Quick rundown of my take

Mile Square Classic (fountain valley) - fun track, not too challenging, a bit pricey for what you get in my opinion
Mile Square Players - only played it a couple times, more challenging than Classic (also more expensive). Its been atleast 5 years since I been out there so Idont know if the trees have grown in some to make it even harder
David L. Baker (fountain valley) - on the other side of mile square. This is a short par 3 track (couple of par 4's). My first 18 hole course I everplayed. Way overpriced for what it is, but if you get out at super twilight its dirt cheap. Lighted course so you can play til 9p. If you get out there at like7P you can often walk right on to the 6th hole from the parking lot and just play through. 75% of the time they wont even see you. Not that i condone stealingfrom a golf course or anything
smile.gif

Meadowlark (huntington beach) - my home course. Grew up playing this track for junior rates when I was a kid. Personally I love it. It is a shorter course butnot too narrow. Requires you to spot your landings rather than just grip it and rip it. Only thing is, now that Im not a junior its pretty expensive for whatyou get. Has kept me from playing there for awhile.
Costa Mesa CC / Mesa Verde - Nice fun course. Not too long. Not all that difficult. Pace on the weekends can be a killer sometime so better bring that
pimp.gif
andsome 40's and just enjoy the round.
Costa Mesa CC / Los Lagos - Longer than the mesa course and a bit more challenging. Holds a special place in my heart cause I shot the best round of my life atthis track (an 84... yea i know, i suck). Both Costa Mesa courses are pretty well maintained for a muni.
Rancho San Jauquin (irvine) - butchered the spelling of it Im sure. Last time I played it was maybe 2 years ago and I was very unimpressed. Course setup andcondition wise it was no better than Costa Mesa. Unless theyve done some major renovations, this place has no business charging $60-80 a round. Might as wellpay more and go play Strawberry.
Riverview (santa ana) - Hate it
Willowick (santa ana) - flat, wide open, no water hazards, very basic course. Good if you just want to get out and goof around. As easy a track as this is, forwhatever reason it always kicks my butt. I rarely ever post here.
Long Beach Big Rec - A very typical course, that is often not worth the price. Pace plays SUPER SLOW on weekends. Setup kinda effs with me on some of theholes. Hole 1 tempts me to try and drive the green on a par 4 but inevitably I end up in the bunker or the trees. Im an idiot. Hole 6 Par 4 for whatever reasonis one of my most hated holes of any North OC muni course (i guess technically LB isnt OC but whatever).
Dad Miller (anaheim) - Havent played here since I was back in college but I remember it to be a wide open fun track. Not good bang for your buck though. If youare a long hitter, hole 17 and 18 are pretty fun because they are both par 5 600+ yards off an elevated tee box with a fairway thats as wide as 10 footballfields (exaggeration). Those holes are just asking you to come out there with a 50" shaft and just let loose.

Since moving to LA I've been playing more tracks up in this area. Some better than others.

Victoria (carson) - links style. not always well maintained, but for the price not much to complain about. pace plays decently well on weekends (althoughsometimes its hit or miss). If you are long and have a decent recovery game you can post decent scores as there arent a whole lotta trees or hazards to worryabout.
Alondra (gardena? hawthorne?) - pretty much epitomizes cheap muni track. Personally I like this course as it is easy, doesnt play too slow on the weekends, andis usually in decent shape. For $30 or whatever to ride, its a pretty good weekend deal to get a round in without waiting 15 minutes to hit every shot. Its abit on the shorter side so even if youre not a long hitter you can post well.
Los Amigos (downey) - played this track a few weeks back and it was a mess. The greens were chewed up pretty bad. Overall its an easy course, nothing toocrazy. If the greens are kept up you can post good scores all day long here.
Rio Hondo (downey) - up the street from Los Amigos. Kept up fairly well, but a bit on the pricey side for what it is. I would most compare this to Mile SquareClassic. Nothing crazy going on here.
River Ridge (camarillo?) - I actually liked this track a lot. Well maintained. Cheap. If you dont mind the drive out to Camarillo its a very nice course forcheap.
Lost Canyons (moorpark?) - Tough tough track. If you arent atleast a bogey golfer, dont bother. LOTS of elevation changes, hilly, very narrow. 9 out of 10times you will be hitting a ball above or below your feet even if youre smack dab in the middle of the fairway. Lot of blind landings, and blind approaches tothe green. I posted a 110 and it was downright demoralizing.
Rustic Canyon (moorpark) - I actually really liked this track. Plays to my personal strengths. Not too hilly, wide enough so you can get away with mi****s.Beautiful scenery. The aprons around the green are HUUUUUGE so if you like to putt from the fringe like I do, this is your course. Only problem was when Iplayed a few weeks ago they didnt tell me that the greens were recently aerated so I ended up putting like 50+ times. jerks.

Theres more, but I figure I lost most people by now. If you dont mind driving out towards the 909/951 area there are PLENTY of nice tracks to be had for cheap.Some of my non OC/LA faves which are good bang for the buck

Pala Mesa (near temecula)
Oceanside

Some background of the type of player I am (so similar players may enjoy the same courses I do)

Sucky recreational player (usually post between 95-100 on your average course)
never hits the range
usually just
pimp.gif
and chillin out there
short distance hitter
decent iron striker
sub par putter

Robinson ranch gc is a great golf course. Its pretty challenging, it has very narrow fairways and small greens. Porter valley cc, good but semi-hard golfcourse. Majority of the holes you'll need to stay in play when teeing up, hooking or slicing will go OB Lakeside cc. I would say this is the hardest courseI've ever played at. Hook, slice, or go over, your gone. You either play sort for the bogey or go long for the OB. Great course though. Robinson ranch isin the Santa clarita valley porter valley is in the 818 not sure what city lakeside is right by universal

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

Robinson ranch gc is a great golf course. Its pretty challenging, it has very narrow fairways and small greens. Porter valley cc, good but semi-hard golf course. Majority of the holes you'll need to stay in play when teeing up, hooking or slicing will go OB Lakeside cc. I would say this is the hardest course I've ever played at. Hook, slice, or go over, your gone. You either play sort for the bogey or go long for the OB. Great course though. Robinson ranch is in the Santa clarita valley porter valley is in the 818 not sure what city lakeside is right by universal
Ive been meaning to try out Robinson Ranch as I have only heard great things about it. Do you know if there ever are discounted tee times onlinefor this course?

mojo--good looks mayne...definitely try to hit a few of those courses up.

I play for fun, and a way to get out with my friends and have a good time.

Cool. Glad to see theres some response to my question. Ill definitely check out some of those courses. When do you all usually play? We should grab afoursome one of these days and check out a course none of us have played. All of my friends that I used to play golf with moved away or stoppedplaying.
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

Robinson ranch gc is a great golf course. Its pretty challenging, it has very narrow fairways and small greens. Porter valley cc, good but semi-hard golf course. Majority of the holes you'll need to stay in play when teeing up, hooking or slicing will go OB Lakeside cc. I would say this is the hardest course I've ever played at. Hook, slice, or go over, your gone. You either play sort for the bogey or go long for the OB. Great course though. Robinson ranch is in the Santa clarita valley porter valley is in the 818 not sure what city lakeside is right by universal
Ive been meaning to try out Robinson Ranch as I have only heard great things about it. Do you know if there ever are discounted tee times online for this course?

Robinson Ranch can be quite expensive, but they do have discounts. Go to RobinsonRanchGolf.com, and look under specials. Prices range I think from $39-$120.

All of my friends that I used to play golf with moved away or stopped playing.
same here. My boy moved out to Oregon, and my cousins only play when its like a family gathering...I went from playing every weekend, to notplaying at all
smh.gif

Not sure if anyone mentioned the Navy golf course in Cypress. It used to be private but now it is open to the public. Best bang for your bucks. BTW, the courseis HUGE! Although, they do have a short course.

Originally Posted by ReMarqable23

Not sure if anyone mentioned the Navy golf course in Cypress. It used to be private but now it is open to the public. Best bang for your bucks. BTW, the course is HUGE! Although, they do have a short course.
How is this track now? I played it once maybe 5+ years ago with a buddy of mine who is active military. I remember it being dirt cheap, even asa non-military guest, but the course was a mess. Poorly groomed fairways and greens, lots of dead brown patches, etc... but I do recall that it was prettyempty and we flew through that round. Even as we were killing a 12 pack per person, it was an easy 4 hour round.

Back
Top Bottom