SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
:frown: I had this picked as my #2 biggest box office of summer 2014.

>: how is this possible. Didn't ASM release on a Wednesday. Maybe it was the Labor Day weekend that got ASM so much money. Or maybe these dumb reviews of ASM 2 have people slow to go see the movie

It was July 4th weekend but the difference is still big $30m.

It'll make most of it's money internationally but I am sure Sony expected more for opening weekend considering it's a sequel.

Cinemascore isn't great for adults with a B+, for 25yo & under it scored an A-, which should have been an A or A+ because it's geared towards them.

Its weekend CS is a B+ though. Even IM3 got a CS of A. Hell MoS got a overall CS of A-.

I swear I watched a different movie then everyone else mean.gif

How this movie is not getting heavily praised, I still don't get it. What more can you want from a comic book film?

:lol: I mean I appreciate your enthusiasm but you really just got to read the reviews. Yes there are ridiculous reasons that people hate on the film but there are plenty of valid points too.

The franchise fatigue is real, it's gonna get any better either with Sony trying to milk the series for everything it has these next couple of years :smh:

Last edited:
^ Its not just critics, the Audience RT for ASM2 is sitting at 75% right now which is pretty low (MoS was at 76%). Everybody is divided on the movie.

I swear I watched a different movie then everyone else :smh:

How this movie is not getting heavily praised, I still don't get it. What more can you want from a comic book film?

The characters were spot on and the visuals were great. But anything past that this movie was weak. Not saying it was bad but it just fell short. As someone stated before, this movie was just... forgettable.

Last edited:
The franchise fatigue is real, it's gonna get any better either with Sony trying to milk the series for everything it has these next couple of years
mean.gif

What are they milking? Spiderman has SOOOOOOOOOOOO many stories that need to be told and can be told.

Now that I think of it, they could easily make 10 Spidey film and not even be close to running out of material.

I'm just saying in fatigue in terms of money really. They're on a downward trend commercially, I'm pretty sure ASM2 will do less than the first (at least domestically), and releasing more movies in the same franchise year after year isn't gonna help. Doesn't Sony already have movies every year till 2018 lined up?

Pretty sure ASM dropped sometime during the early week.

It did, on a Tuesday.

And yes, I absolutely buy Blu Rays. More than I need. :lol:

I'm at about 250 blu. Over 400 DVD. Maybe 75 or more seasons of TV shows. And then my wife and daughter have 150-200 of their own Blu and DVD's with the animateds, Pixars, Disney's etc.

And I'll add more thru time obviously. Winter Soldier, ASM2, Agents of Shield, etc that comes out this year.

The ASM 1 grossed 62 million domestically opening weekend. This sequel is doing at least 92 million so we're not at a point of viewer fatigue yet.

The ASM 1 grossed 62 million domestically opening weekend. This sequel is doing at least 92 million so we're not at a point of viewer fatigue yet.

Like others have said, thats only because ASM 1 opened on a tuesday instead of a friday. If it had a regular opening, it would have done 100m+ easy opening weekend.

Those are sort of my points.

The Nolan Trilogy was GREAT, work. Acted, scored, casted, cut, storylines, Comic origins, tone. Just really great.

But there were..."leaps of faith".

Like Tempo said, magic rope lost him. He was ok with dude dressed as a Bat fighting crime, but naw, not the rope.

I'm sorry but everything in that series was bounded by some kind of reality. A man in a suit fashioned after a bat can happen in real life. I mean a couple years ago we had dudes like Phoenix Jones walking the streets so yea I was ok with that but slim gets his back broken, is told he has 3 vertebrae poking out his back and gets prison surgery that was just him being tugged on by a ROPE. Maybe if they had him get REAL surgery, I would believe it.

I let the robo-knee slide. I even let the fact that he made that jump in the prison without the robo-knee. The movie was just too inconsistent from the rest of the series for me. I still find it hard to believe that a man broke into the stock exchange, people see him mess with the computers and stuff, whole thing is broadcasted to the people and they accept the Bruce Wayne lost all his money randomly? At least if they broke in stealthily and no one knew that they did something, I'd believe it.

So let down from TDKR :smh:
In real life there'd be a big investigation by the SEC :lol: They wouldn't just let dude lose his money. Plus not to mention if they went hostile takeover route tons of lawyers would have to be involved. that type of **** I ignored cuz right there it just seemed Nolan didn't know what he was doing. Like if he was making a movie that dealt with that as a focus it'd probably be good but he just threw that in so the story could keep going the way he wanted it to.

Like others have said, thats only because ASM 1 opened on a tuesday instead of a friday. If it had a regular opening, it would have done 100m+ easy opening weekend.

ASM1 released July 3,2012. That's a Tuesday.

^ Its not just critics, the Audience RT for ASM2 is sitting at 75% right now which is pretty low (MoS was at 76%). Everybody is divided on the movie.

I swear I watched a different movie then everyone else :smh:

Cap 2, Avengers, TDK, SM2. They set the bar. Gotta just keep being better than those or at least equal.

I will say the opening #s caught me off guard too. I was like wow that's low. Especially after Cap2 just broke the record for it's month. I'm expecting DoFP to possibly do worse.
Yeah Extended Cuts/Directors Cuts aren't always cash cows, like with The Wolverine the directors cut had more blood which would have made the film Rated R. Same with Chronicles of Riddick, it was much better than what was released, delved deeper into his race.

There are definitely cases where it's just to make more money but not all are like that.

That Riddick Director's Cut is so much better than the regular film
Where can I watch this online? :nerd:

Last edited:
Cap 2, Avengers, TDK, SM2. They set the bar. Gotta just keep being better than those or at least equal.

I will say the opening #s caught me off guard too. I was like wow that's low. Especially after Cap2 just broke the record for it's month. I'm expecting DoFP to possibly do worse.
Where I can watch this online?
nerd.gif
You can't keep going higher though. Eventually it'll peak.

Yea, I misread your post. But I don't understand your argument if both movies released on a Tuesday and ASM2 is grossing more.

IMO you can't even put Spiderman 2 in the same convo as ASM2. ASM2 makes Spiderman 2 look like a low budget attempt but comparing the costs it took to make both spiderman 2 is the low budget of the 2

ASM2 IMO is also better than Cap 2. I loved cap 2, A LOT. But I didn't understand where the tons of praise was coming from. I mean even people that weren't comic book fans loved it and I wondered why? I mean I knew why I loved it, then I saw the reviews and commercials for it after it released :smh: calling it a cinema masterpiece and saying it was as good as Avengers when it wasn't even better than Thor: Dark World.

My conclusion: people are sheep

Last edited:
Yea, I misread your post. But I don't understand your argument if both movies released on a Tuesday and ASM2 is grossing more.

ASM 2 came out last Friday man with some Thursday evening showings.

I'm saying if ASM1 had also come out on a Friday it would have done 100m+ easy on its opening weekend, so your original argument comparing the two movies opening weekend #s doesnt work

Last edited:
IMO you can't even put Spiderman 2 in the same convo as ASM2. ASM2 makes Spiderman 2 look like a low budget attempt but comparing the costs it took to make both spiderman 2 is the low budget of the 2

ASM2 IMO is also better than Cap 2. I loved cap 2, A LOT. But I didn't understand where the tons of praise was coming from. I mean even people that weren't comic book fans loved it and I wondered why? I mean I knew why I loved it, then I saw the reviews and commercials for it after it released
mean.gif
calling it a cinema masterpiece and saying it was as good as Avengers when it wasn't even better than Thor: Dark World.

My conclusin
Cap 2 is loved because it has no serious flaws. 

OK so wouldn't that still be in favor of ASM2, because they've had less days to gross their weekend tally.

So you're saying if Asm1 opened on a Friday instead of a Tues it would've grossed more? Wait what

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom