Spider plague closes Australian hospital

[h3]13 hours ago [/h3]
SYDNEY, Australia - A tiny Australian hospital is closing temporarily because of an infestation of poisonous spiders.

The Baralaba Multi Purpose Health Service will close for 24 hours starting Thursday morning so officials can fumigate the building to get rid of redbackspiders that have been found in large numbers in the main part of the hospital.

Three or four patients will need to be moved to another hospital while the building is closed, according to a statement from Queensland state healthofficials.

Redback spiders, common throughout most of the country, have a painful bite and a toxic venom, although an anti-venom is available.

The statement said warm weather had caused more redback spider eggs to hatch than usual.

"We believe the best way to deal with them, and the safest option for staff and patients, is to have the whole building fumigated so both the spidersand their eggs are killed," Ellen Palmer, rural director of nursing, said in the statement Wednesday.

Nearly 300 people live in Baralaba, about 320 kilometers (200 miles) northwest of Brisbane.

Heres what they look like

053005_redback.jpg

Its related to the Black Widow.

Originally Posted by jhawkcuse10

My booty just clenched when I saw the picture
sick.gif

laugh.gif
aiyyyyyyoooo.

i seen one of those the other month. thought a black widow was walking upside down

laugh.gif
. i thought it was gonna be that other type, not that black-widowlookalike...they got a bigger, more aggressive spider that actually chases you down
sick.gif

did they factor in having to sterilize everything when they get back in?

how much is that going to cost?

not cheap.

Originally Posted by DSFL561

laugh.gif
. i thought it was gonna be that other type, not that black-widow lookalike...they got a bigger, more aggressive spider that actually chases you down
sick.gif
funnel web???

Australia is more hood than any place on earth

You got poisionous snakes, spiders, and jellyfish out in the ocean

then you got those crazy kangaroos that can go 10 rounds with any pro boxer in the ring

and i heard those koalas will kill you on sight if you stare at em for more than 3 seconds

Back
Top Bottom