Spike Lee Goes H.A.M. On Bloomberg TV Host

When a Bloomberg television host opened her segment with Spike Lee on his Kickstarter campaign, saying that the famed directed was under fire over his financing approach, he didn’t take it too well.
Trish Regan of “Street Smart” started off the segment by saying, “Do the right thing. That’s what many are saying to Spike Lee as they call on the famed director to end his new Kickstarter campaign. Now, if you don’t know, Kickstarter is a website that…”
At this point, Lee cuts Regan off and criticizes her opening. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa,” he said. “Why you open like that? Why would you open like that?”
Laughing off Lee’s interruption, Regan touched Lee on the shoulder and said, “We’re all about controversy here. We’ll let you answer here in a second. I just have to tell the people here what the Kickstarter thing is.”

Lee clearly wasn’t comforted by Regan’s reply and the conversation took a deep dive from there. And saying this didn’t help, either: “(Kickstarter is) mostly for up-and-coming novices so what is an Oscar-nominated director like Spike Lee doing on this set so we thought we’d ask him in person.”
Here is a rundown of the opening exchange:
Lee: “Well, I would like to refute your opening,” he said, looking directly into the TV host’s eyes.
Regan: Why don’t you just tell me. You have a lot of money. You don’t need to do this. Why would you go to Kickstarter?
Lee: First of all. First of all. First of all. You don’t know how much money I have. You’ve never seen me before in my life. So, for you to assume what my financial state is, that’s wrong. Second of all, “I’ve been doing Kickstarting before there was Kickstarter.
Regan: But you know how…
Lee: I’m not finished. Can I finish, please? (Lee says some inaudible then says) I’ve been doing Kickstarer before there was Kickstarter. That’s how I raised the money for my first film, “She’s Gotta Have It.”
Regan: So why are you doing Kickstarter then?
Lee: Because, because crowdfunding is the new wave to get financing. Crowdfunding, where you go directly to your base, directly to the people who love “She’s Gotta Have It,” “Skool Daze,” “Do The Right Thing,” “Malcolm X,” “He Got Game,” Summer Of Sam,” “25th Hour,” “Inside Man,” “Kings Of Comedy,” “Kobe Doing Work.” That’s a body of work that’s been amazed over three decades. And I’m going directly to the people…
The conversation gets intense again, so we’ll let you watch the rest of the exchange for yourself. Let’s just say Lee goes H.A.M. on her and rightfully so. Oh, we have to tell you that Lee called Regan a “hater” and said that “haters like this,” pointing at the TV host, will not stop his campaign for being successful.
Watch Spike Lee and Trish Regan go at it below:

http://newsone.com/2661893/spike-lee-tv-reporter-argument-kickstarter/

i gave spike $5.00 for speaking his mind and not letting this ***** hold him back

Last edited:
yea but spike has gone senile

my dude dressing like a clown at knicks games and hating on tarintino lol

Once the SEC adopts rules to implement the crowdfunding aspect of the JOBS Act the kickstarter model will be prevalent for startups to raise money.

kickstarter for movies is strange cuz the people that donate probably only get a tshirt but essentially they are investors that dont get any return from the profits.

most companys give the people the product for free or allow them to be the first ones to purchase it. 

i doubt the contributors are even going to get to watch this movie for free.

He kinda pulled an "Alex Jones" there. I contribute to my community funded radio station, (Spike obviously has deeper pockets) but I still don't disagree with him on wanting to venture this path. Maybe "Hollywood" wasn't letting him actually make the movie he'd like to make - thus why he's turned to the fans.

kickstarter for movies is strange cuz the people that donate probably only get a tshirt but essentially they are investors that dont get any return from the profits.

most companys give the people the product for free or allow them to be the first ones to purchase it. 

Read this after my initial response. Has me asking more questions lol. Thanks!

People on NT aren't going to side with Spike since he came at Q.T.

Also major movie companies have also used kickstarter. Example....Veronica Mars movie project.

Which is why it doesnt fall under the JOBs act.

Kickstarter is just a form of charity or support through funding not an actual investment.

I've been on kickstarter before but this will be my first time donating because I want that autographed Crooklyn script. Hate I missed the Malcolm X one :smh:

[h3]Pledge $10,000 or more[/h3]
This Award Is For All Playa-Playas. For 10 Grand I'm Taking You to Dinner, Then You Will Have The Honor And Privilege To Sit Next To Me (IN MY WIFE'S TONYA'S SEAT) COURTSIDE - FRONT ROW IN THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE AT THE WORLD'S MOST FAMOUS ARENA - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN TO SEE OUR BELOVED NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS, ORANGE AND BLUE SKIES. IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS IS ONE OF THE TRUE GREAT SPORTING EVENTS TODAY. YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS EXPERIENCE AS LONG AS YOU LIVE. THIS IS A VERY LIMITED ITEM. YOU SLOW - YOU BLOW. THIS IS BIG, BIG TIME. PS. KNICKS WILL BE GREAT THIS COMING NEW SEASON.
laugh.gif
@ Honor and Privilege.
[h3]Pledge $500 or more[/h3]

Autographed Nikes (Various Models). Worn by Me.
This dude really thinks people should bow in his presence.  Worn Nikes for $500
sick.gif
roll.gif
[h3]Pledge $1,000 or more[/h3]Five custom designed Jordans by world renowned designer, Van Monroe. We pick the Jordan and you pick the Joint.
$1000 for those? 
roll.gif
.  You can get them cheaper on eBay.
[h3]Pledge $500 or more[/h3]
One Day Intensive Boot Camp Led by Me And Mike Ellis, My Longtime First Assistant Director. You Will Be Taught The Ins And Outs Of Working On A Set. The Top Candidates Will Be Interviewed For PA and Intern Positions To Work On This New Spike Lee Kickstarter Joint.
[h3]Pledge $1,000 or more[/h3]
You Will Be An Extra In Our Film
Only two that even seem to be worth the money, and that's only if you're desperate to get some experience in acting...

The broad brings up the income he must have, asks why he's keeping up with the times (since he's raised money without kickstarter in the past), cuts him off while he's speaking, and he's the bad guy for getting upset.

Okay.

She's doing her job and by doing so... She's making herself look terrible. I can never do a job like that. Sheep.

Good for Spike! Loved that he stood strong against garbage interviews like that.

Last edited:
She got what was coming to her.

Hollywood doesn't like Spike Lee. The conglomerates don't like Spike Lee. The establishment doesn't like Spike Lee. I'm not saying I agree with everything he says or does, but she was obviously toeing the company line and furthering their agenda and he did what he was supposed to do.

She'll be aight. ******* get barked on every day B.

People on NT aren't going to side with Spike since he came at Q.T.

Also major movie companies have also used kickstarter. Example....Veronica Mars movie project.

Eh I felt he was reaching with the QT situation but I saw his point of view.

However with this situation he was completely in the right for how he handled it.

so we should donate to spike for a movie..and make him richer when the profits come back......hmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom