Sports Agent as a Profession

Discussion in 'General' started by champcruthik, Dec 16, 2009.

1. champcruthik

champcruthik

I know this has come up before and I'm interested in getting some basic information. Just thought I'd throw this out there and hopefully get somehelpful suggestions from NT. I know you need a concentation in sports management for starters.

I'm about to get my degree in Political Science and plan on going to law school within the next year if all goes well. However it's always good to havea backup and this is something I always considered and was curious about. I hear it's a career that relies heavily on connections/networking/people youknow. It's obvious being a sports agent relies heavily on the social aspect of business, something I pride myself for being good at.

Something related, Gunna I remember you saying you had a friend that worked for the Jags in player development or scouting? Would appreciate some info...

2. hawtsauce

hawtsauce

get that law degree and move from there...

3. faulkit28

faulkit28

A cousin of mine used to be an agent but left because he got a better job. Your right about the connections aspect, you definetly need that. Yourrelationships with your clients are just as important. My cousin had few clients and he was getting calls from teams his clients doing all types of sillyness. So you got to be ready to deal with all sorts of drama as well. Thats all i can think of right now. If i see my cousin i'll ask him some stuff.

4. suckafree85

suckafree85

My cousins buddy is an agent. I forgot the story but basically he knew Mike Piazza and thats how he got into it. I dont know him personally but I've seenhim at family parties. He waited like a year for a job I think. He now has over 200 people under him. Pujols and Lincecum just to name two.

Dude has a [​IMG] girl. My god.

5. davizzy

davizzy

so what do you have to study to try and get into this? ive always wondered but never knew what you needed to study

6. durden7

durden7

Law.

7. jcuk3tm0

jcuk3tm0

its all about the people you know. if you are lucky enough to have a good relationship with an athlete thats all you need. the law degree isn't crapunless you have athletes to represent.

8. illmatic34

illmatic34

So basically you need to know an athlete or you're screwed?

9. dathbgboy

dathbgboy

Pretty much, I guess that's where intern and externships come from in Law School. Focus should be on sports and entertainment law

10. aka king arthur

aka king arthur

you dont need to know athletes

you think the best agents had 20 professional athletes as friends growning up? no

the way to do it is to get a law degree first

then join a sports talent mangment agency. then working for the agency you will be able to sign clients who want to work with you through the agency

you get good enough you branch out on your own

after a lot of hard work

11. kicks off

kicks off

12. raptors29

raptors29

Yeah it's not easy either. It's a very competitive field. What's the name of that NBA agent that played for Michigan from like 1988-1991 name? Hehad an article in Dime a while back.

13. juicy j 32

juicy j 32

My first thought would be JD/MBA.

Then you would have to put in a loooot of work. Like dude said above me get in with a sports talent management agency and start grinding.

14. throwedindagame

throwedindagame