Sports Gambling In College

How prevalent do you think it is? Percent wise in college, what about like sports books and kids running their own rings?
Lots of talk recently has been floating around of kids throwing their tuition down the toilet and all that stuff and it just has me thinking how crazy popular it is on college campus'.

I know we have alot of college people on here, how accessible is it on your campus, are people betting online and all that...I just find it fascinating. Lets discuss

If I was back in college and had a bit of bankroll I probably would run my own book on a small scale. College students in general think they are better than everyone else (moreso than HS kids even) so they probably thing they can beat the house on a regular basis.

This is going to make me sound really old, but man I had kids running informal bookie type operations when I was in middle school. There were a couple of vietnamese thug kids who would pass out copies of Vegas type wager cards with the weeks football games and the lines on them. This was back in like 1991-1992 when I was in 6th-7th grade. Sportsbetting got its hooks in me early and never let go.

alot of people at my school go to the same betting spot as me
laugh.gif

Not on my campus but my former boss that went to Penn during the 70s knew guys that had their own betting ring and *coughs* had something to do with the outcome of the Penn/Princeton games during their time at the university. These same guys are now execs at Goldman Sachs.

As far as I go, I make peanuts at my job so what does it matter if I throw $25 every week in my Bodog account. If I can make some bread off of it, I won't complain.

Is it prevalent? Not really. I guarantee that I can find more kids that do powder cocaine than gamble on sports at my school.

Originally Posted by Lex Starks

Is it prevalent? Not really. I guarantee that I can find more kids that do powder cocaine than gamble on sports at my school.
roll.gif

qft

interesting so far...I feel like many college kids do it around my way everyone trying to get that extra buck

Originally Posted by Princetonchaney

ummmm i go to school at UNLV hard not to gamble
ohwell.gif

understandable cause your close to Nevada and the sports books but what about on campus?

Ummm our campus is about a mile away from the strip, so were spoiled when it comes to gambling.
But here you do see a bunch of kids with severe gambling problems... bunch of kids that "can count cards" lol

I started my heavier betting in college. It started with the Super Bowl years ago then culminated in my senior year of college betting on a bevy of college football games and then almost every MLB game that spring. I didn't blow tuition money or anything and it was smaller bets.

I had a blast doing it back then because all I did during the day was digest sports, analyzing information and stats. I only had 2 classes my last semester so I got to get really technical about it, which I found to be very fun.

Originally Posted by Princetonchaney

Ummm our campus is about a mile away from the strip, so were spoiled when it comes to gambling.
But here you do see a bunch of kids with severe gambling problems... bunch of kids that "can count cards" lol

I always wondered this but do yall ever go to house parties or frat parties or do students just go party on the strip since it's so close and alcohol is so cheap

Back
Top Bottom