Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Going off the initial post, I can't trust you on that.

Which reviews were that?

Its not grasping when you posted that as support.

Are you not grasping what I am saying?

I'm literally telling you the box office post and ppl being disappointed are two different things and one cant suooort the other especially in this case where ESB box office was much lower while TLJ was higher than ever.

Do you see why those two movies in that regard do not run parallel when you claim they are similar?

You cant tell me this supports that when it clearly doesn't.

The #s were thw entire point of that post.

Show me where the reaction to ESB was the same or similar as the reaction to TLJ. You have yet to do that.

This is why I call bull ****. Cuz not only is that on its face there's the underlying implication that over time ppl will grow to love TLJ the way you're claiming it took time for ppl to recognize the greatness of ESB. Then we get in to the semantics the actual reaction to ESB, the actual size of those disappointed, and when it exactly ESB was met with widespread praise.
Bro. I posted the tweet at the top of the post because it was the first thing that I saw when searching for supporting evidence and nothing more. It was not “the entire point of the post” as everything underneath dealt directly with critical and fan reaction, and you know that. In fact, the post quoted and was in direct response to you saying, “Bruh that is not at all the same reaction.

Y'all dudes really got the nerve to be like oh the TLJ backlash is the same as the ESB reaction.

Total bull ****”

What are you doing right now? You’re completely sidestepping the quotes I provided and focusing on a tweet at the top of the post that cites box office numbers, box office numbers that do actually support the fact that people were less enthused with ESB than ANH. What are you trying to accomplish?

What reviews are those that say they were received similarly? The ones referenced in that post that you seemed to have stopped reading after the tweet.

———
People were 50/50 on not liking ESB for many of the same reasons people do not like TLJ. That’s a fact. I don’t understand what you’re arguing lol.

Bro. I posted the tweet at the top of the post because it was the first thing that I saw when searching for supporting evidence and nothing more.
So you was lazy, I don't care.

It was not “the entire point of the post” as everything underneath dealt directly with critical and fan reaction, and you know that. In fact, the post quoted and was in direct response to you saying, “Bruh that is not at all the same reaction.
All it said was the same thing you said with the same amount of evidence.

I figured you'd post these similar reviews by now.
Y'all dudes really got the nerve to be like oh the TLJ backlash is the same as the ESB reaction.

What are you doing right now? You’re completely sidestepping the quotes
What quotes?
What are you trying to accomplish?
Just reiterating my stance given the bull **** you posted to begin with hasn't changed from the bull **** now.

People were 50/50 on not liking ESB for many of the same reasons people do not like TLJ.
Like I said there's a storytelling comprehension issue here.

Last edited:
So you was lazy, I don't care.

All it said was the same thing you said with the same amount of evidence.

I figired you'd post these similar reviews by now.

What quotes?

Just reiterating my stance given the bull **** you posted to begin with hasn't changed from the bull **** now.

Like I said there's a storytelling comprehension issue here.

tenor.gif

Ok man

Zik, you have 3 different people who have never met in this thread telling you the exact same thing. Each of us, as youth, were less thrilled by ESB. As each of us got older, our views changed and we LOVE that film.

In 1980 that was the same thing for "some". Note, I'm not sayin all, I'm saying SOME were less than thrilled with ESB. The reviews that nako posted showed you that.

upload_2019-9-12_11-41-17.png

upload_2019-9-12_11-41-44.png

Even this section mentioned that AT FIRST, Lucas was disappointed in where the movie was. Again, that's just the early storyline, not the finished film. But the point you are missing is there was a time where ESB wasn't as glowing as it is today. Hell, we've talked about that in this very thread over the years. It's not a secret or anything. I don't know why you're fighting nako so much other than just to keep saying **** Rian. Rian said what many others have said over the years. He also said he loves it now, as an adult. Same as the 3 NTers and while I have backed Rian plenty, Jay is not a staunch Rian backer, he has agreed with you many times about TLJ, but in this instance he is agreeing that as a youth he wasn't as fond of ESB as he was Jedi and ANH.

upload_2019-9-12_11-43-55.png

The comparisons came out immediately that folks are hating on TLJ "similar" SIMILAR, not exact, similarly to ESB as the middle movie. That doesn't make them on par, or same film, or exact, or anything else. The generalization was that both middle films received mixed early reviews. Critics loves it, fans did not. ESB had mixed reviews early as well. Thassit. No one is saying they are equal movies or anything. Not even Rian is saying that. He took chances and went different directions, and said that ESB did similar things in 1980. You may not agree with that, but he's not saying anything truly crazy or anything.

LOL I was going to post a ton of articles showing the mixed reviews ESB originally got because dude was speaking out of his *** but now I see it's been taken care of.

Hes shown proof but can't accept it.

Cant believe i'm on the same page with CP again.

So that makes 4 Zik.

NT23
Jay
nako
CP

Look at the 4 different guys here. NT and I have battled about a lot in here, but remember this the same way. Jay actually detests TLJ as much as you do, but remembers ESB the same. And nako was the first to bring up actual quotes from back in the day.

We're not making it up man, in the early 80's there were some less than stellar thoughts on the movie. Over time, it gradually changed and became a huge hit. Wasn't Scarface kinda similar? initially panned, then some of the younger generation fell in love with it and it sparked a come up for the film, to the point it's almost OVERrated now? ESB kinda did somethin similar. (clearly they aren't on the same level, just the improvement in reputation over time.

people were surprised by ESB.. but it now is the standard for most of these trilogies or epics, where the heroes get theirs and it looks like they dont stand a chance

TLJ was just bad and seems discounted from TFA.. and not in the way rogue one was

ESB caught people off guard. It wasn't wrapped up in a nice bow like we'd been accustomed to seeing. We didn't have twitter back then so all that is left is the memories of children and quotes from critics who are used to represent a whole generation's opinions.

Zik, you have 3 different people who have never met in this thread telling you the exact same thing. Each of us, as youth, were less thrilled by ESB.
I dont really care about that though.

Really don't.

My stance has remained unchanged that the overall reaction to ESB was not like TLJ for some of the most obvious reasons if not for the others.

I dont really care about that though.

Really don't.

My stance has remained unchanged that the overall reaction to ESB was not like TLJ for some of the most obvious reasons if not for the others.

But you don't seem to be aware of the reaction to ESB, so how would you know?

(I'm not arguing if you're right or not on TLJ and ESB, just the validation that the reactions are in fact similar)

So that makes 4 Zik.

NT23
Jay
nako
CP

Look at the 4 different guys here. NT and I have battled about a lot in here, but remember this the same way. Jay actually detests TLJ as much as you do, but remembers ESB the same. And nako was the first to bring up actual quotes from back in the day.

We're not making it up man, in the early 80's there were some less than stellar thoughts on the movie. Over time, it gradually changed and became a huge hit. Wasn't Scarface kinda similar? initially panned, then some of the younger generation fell in love with it and it sparked a come up for the film, to the point it's almost OVERrated now? ESB kinda did somethin similar. (clearly they aren't on the same level, just the improvement in reputation over time.
Still not my point.

I'm not telling you about your individual opinions when a movie came out.

That's really not what im talking about.

Scarface is overrated but there's a difference between good popular movies and trash popular movies like those FF movies or Twilight. Probably shouldn't veer off course.

I'm really not discussing viewer maturation and their taste in films or how you can revisit a movie after sometime and realize its better than what you gave it credit for.

I'm not even claiming to detest TLJ the most since I'm sure you recall I left after first viewing liking it while ignoring all of its faults and failings.

I'm just saying the reaction are not the same. Nor were reviews. Its only if youre gonna stretch it real thin and only focus on a word like "disappointed" to hang your entire comparison on since you refuse to actually compare.

Last edited:
Ok, that's fair enough. I still think it's similar in terms of reaction, but I'm not saying I believe people will come around on TLJ in the same manner someday either, if that makes sense.

Storywise, TLJ is nowhere near the same as ESB. Rain Johnson is pretentious ahole who thinks he's above and beyond criticism. The story had no cohesion from TFA to TLJ, and quite frankly, 9 isn't looking to be any better. All the characters can end up dying and I'll shrug that off because due to a lack of story telling, there is no emotional investment from the audience.

Back
Top Bottom