State of the [sports] Union Address

darthska

Staff member
Seriously, man... what the hell is going on with sports?!

- top college programs are in trouble LEFT AND RIGHT. Ohio St, USC, and the U all in super hot water right now. Coaches know about this crap, then bail right before the crap hits the fan (Pete Carroll, Rich Rodriguez when he was at WVU).

- NFL fresh off a lockout... and they had a lockout in the 90s.

- NBA currently locked out (with no resolution ANYWHERE on the horizon)... and they had a lockout to end the 90s.

- accusations of the NBA being fixed are still loud and clear

- no MLB power record can be earned without the word 'steroids' being thrown around. Even if the popular opinion is 'Nah, he earned that without steroids', the word is still tossed around. That says a lot.

That's just a few things. Overall, I'm finding myself less and less interested in following and keeping up with it all, because there's SOOOOOOOOO much BS to sift through.
ohwell.gif

Where y'all at with all this? And try not to be a homer.
laugh.gif
Look at the overall picture I'm talking about, not just your team/favorite player.
wink.gif

It's the world we live in.  Twitter, Facebook, blogs, 24/7 news, it tears at everything. 

Kobe just ripped a phone out of a dudes hand, dude says it hurt his wrist, cops lookin for Kobe. 
laugh.gif
  15 years ago we never even hear that story, now it's everywhere. 

Yahoo was an email site last I heard, and this year they have nuked 4 different schools. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Charles Robinson is like the dudes that broke watergate, but better. 

The lockouts is just money.  HUGE business, this is where sports has been headed since Magic signed a 25 year, 25 million dollar deal.  Once money got big, the slope was set, and there will be no stop.  25 years from now dudes will get 80 million a year to play QB, 300 million for 4 years to play baseball, etc etc.  Cell phones will be the size of laptops, but they will be clear and futuristic, like Minority Report or some @#$%, athletes drunk at a bar will be on your screen live.  It's all headed that way. 

Just the world we live in, get used to it. 
tired.gif

NHL > *

has been and remains my favorite sport and league to watch

- glad the NFL is back and running. it's the one sport i would most hate to see on lockout, even though hockey is my favorite (can't explain it
laugh.gif
)
- NBA...zzzzzzzz i won't even notice it's gone. the league itself is a mess imo. extremely overpaid scrubs. the ref and game fixing scandals. and now a lockout.
sick.gif

- as for the MLB and steroids, it doesn't affect many imo. only the purists. they will see any power achievement as suspicious now. it's a shame, yes, but it is what is, and baseball itself rolls on. for me personally, im in no way a purist, but i think it's sad that we have to come to terms with these things and admit that some of our favorite players growing up were probably dirty (im looking at you, griffey). doesn't make me like them any less though. in a league where it seems most were using, how can you blame them for not using to stay on top. for them, it's a business and a living...we can't forget that. they need to maintain their ability and numbers. the league itself is just as at fault, but again, it's a business. and homers sell tickets and tv rights.

Most of these and other griefs all circle around the same thing:  The almighty dollar.

"Sports" are not sports. They are big business filled with power players in the front lines and behind the scenes all taking pieces of the pie. Its slowly gotten worse and worse where now we the fan are paying so much money to our teams and leagues that we have lost sight of the "sports" part.

I used to take sports a lot more serious which I'm sure could be chalked up to being younger....but now that I'm older I've come to realize the absurdity of following sports seriously. What it costs for a season ticket holder, or a parent to bring his kids, or a viewer has to sit through a 3 hour commercial that has a little NFL game action mixed in, etc.

This new way of thinking has its benefits though as a sports fan. You don't take losses as hard, you don't look at athletes as role models, you don't lose sleep over a possible lockout, and you don't listen when owners attempt to highjack cities to get their new billion dollar gifted stadiums. Among other things. It's just entertainment.

it's times likes this I thank the flying spagetti monster that I have a life and other interests.

Also, sports culture/media is terrible nowadays. A lot of the blame for thus has to go to the monolith ESPN for consistently appealing to the LCD.

edit: agreed ryguy.

You really think it's just a product of the information age, CP? I completely disagree.

Without all these social networking things that keep everyone connected at real time speed, these problems still exist, and we still find out about them. All they accomplish is that we find about them quicker.

It all points back to money, and hat's going to happen is that all sports... all MAJOR sports... will become something that Average Joe can only watch from home, while the rich actually go to the games. That's basically how championships are already. On my income, I have absolutely zero shot at ever seeing the Lakers play a full Finals; it will flat out never happen. Well if things continue the way they're going, that will bleed into regular games.

How much would you have to drop to go a regular season series at Yankee Stadium? It's INSANE.

Chris Johnson wants to become the highest paid RB ever; EVER. And he'll probably be offered something close. Are the Rangers done paying for A-Rod yet? The Lakers and Luke Walton... *shaking my head*

The Longhorn Network? That has bad written ALLLL over it when you consider the possible recruiting loopholes and non-monetary incentives that are guaranteed to be dropped on Texas recruits and athletes.

We've heard serious talk of Tiger juicing, with people positing that his body is now breaking down because of that. Everyone wanted to believe Lance Armstrong was pure, but it's very difficult to believe that anymore.

Problems with money are all over sports, and accusations of various forms of cheating are also rampant.

The money is going to drive the existence of sports into something that is only enjoyed in person by the rich; the accusations of cheating are going to drive away those who want level playing fields.

HankMoody:
it's times likes this I thank the flying spagetti monster that I have a life and other interests.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
DeadsetAce:
- NBA... is a mess... extremely overpaid scrubs. the ref and game fixing scandals. and now a lockout.
sick.gif

Completely agree. I love the Lakers, grew up on the Lakers... but if it's done, it's done.
DeadsetAce:
- as for the MLB and steroids... i think it's sad that we have to come to terms with these things and admit that some of our favorite players growing up were probably dirty (im looking at you, griffey).
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
frown.gif

And coming to terms with this has definitely softened my opinion on Bonds. I still don't like him for the same reason I've never been a Kobe fan: blatant arrogance and 'diva-ness'.
laugh.gif
But as far as 'roiding it up?
"I can't even trip, cause I'm just laughin' atcha
You trying hard to maintain, and go ahead, cause I ain't mad atcha."
Not anymore, Barry.
ohwell.gif

DeadsetAce:
doesn't make me like them any less though. in a league where it seems most were using, how can you blame them for not using to stay on top. for them, it's a business and a living...we can't forget that. they need to maintain their ability and numbers
*sigh*
RyGuy45:
Most of these and other griefs all circle around the same thing:  The almighty dollar.
Yyyyyeeeep.
RyGuy45:
"Sports"... are big business filled with power players... all taking pieces of the pie. [N]ow we the fan are paying so much money to our teams and leagues that we have lost sight of the "sports" part.

I used to take sports a lot more serious... but now... I've come to realize the absurdity of following sports seriously. What it costs for a season ticket holder, or a parent to bring his kids, or a viewer has to sit through a 3 hour commercial that has a little NFL game action mixed in, etc.
*sigh*
RyGuy45:
This new way of thinking has its benefits though as a sports fan. You don't take losses as hard, you don't look at athletes as role models, you don't lose sleep over a possible lockout, and you don't listen when owners attempt to highjack cities to get their new billion dollar gifted stadiums.
That's the place I'm at. "Meh."
ohwell.gif
DeadsetAce:
i think it's sad that we have to come to terms with these things
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking all this crap.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

"Sports" are not sports. They are big business filled with power players in the front lines and behind the scenes all taking pieces of the pie. Its slowly gotten worse and worse where now we the fan are paying so much money to our teams and leagues that we have lost sight of the "sports" part.

I used to take sports a lot more serious which I'm sure could be chalked up to being younger....but now that I'm older I've come to realize the absurdity of following sports seriously. What it costs for a season ticket holder, or a parent to bring his kids, or a viewer has to sit through a 3 hour commercial that has a little NFL game action mixed in, etc.

This new way of thinking has its benefits though as a sports fan. You don't take losses as hard, you don't look at athletes as role models, you don't lose sleep over a possible lockout, and you don't listen when owners attempt to highjack cities to get their new billion dollar gifted stadiums. Among other things. It's just entertainment.

I agree with this.

This is just a side note here but this is interesting to see where sports have gone on at least one level (not to say it's right or wrong but just where it has gone).

This is Ohio State's football operations staff. Not the actual coaching staff but the "administration" staff strictly for football as listed on their website:

Associate Athletics Director, football
Program Assistant
Program Assistant
Offensive Quality Control Assistant
Defensive Quality Control Assistant
Defensive Graduate Assistant
Associate Director of Player Development
Associate Director of Football Operations
Communications and Public Relations Representative
Video Coordinator
Director of External Affairs
Head Team Physician
Team Physician
Team Physician
Administrative Office Assistant
Director of Football Operations
Director of Football Performance
Director of Internal Operations
Head Athletic Trainer
Athletic Trainer
Strength Coordinator
Coordinator of Strength and Conditioning
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Administrative Assistant
Equipment Manager
Equipment Manager
Director of Player Development
Academics and Evaluations Monitor
Academic Encourager
Video Intern
IT Manager, football
Office Assistant
Graduate Assistant
Building Coordinator, football
Assistant Building Coordinator, football
Associate AD, Compliance
Assistant AD, Compliance
Assistant Director, Compliance

All getting a title and a paycheck.

Where... in the HAAAAAYYYYLLLLL... do I apply for Academic Encourager?

yessrs

laugh.gif

In my life I have dealt with Magic getting HIV, Kobe busted for Rape, Sosa and steroids, Dan Marino retiring, The U getting in trouble for anything and everything, and still being loved for it, countless DUI's, fights, suspensions (Big Z annual vacation) Ryne Sandberg highest paid player, Kobe Bryant highest paid player, Vince Wilfork, highest paid collegiate player....goes on and on and on.  Never stops, never changes.  Some more significant than others, sure, but it's always the same. 

But I have no damn clue what the hell you all are talking about in terms of not taking losses so hard.  Pass me whatever the hell you're smoking, because I still have trouble sleeping at night after 2003...OT PI, 2004, 2008, 2011, each week in the NFL regular season that an L goes next to Miami I don't sleep well that week, the list goes on and on. 

I don't invest my money in my sports, I invest me.  Love for a sport don't mean you gotta pay for it.  A hat, a shirt, a jersey, whatever.  I don't need to pay 2 grand to watch the finals in LA.  I got a couch, and a 65 inch TV, I'm good.  I'll watch my Lakers there.  Dolphin games on Sunday, 17 weeks straight, I'm glued. 

Just because the sport is about money, or the players, or whomever, don't mean I have to be.  When they lose, I lose.  When they win, I win.  Period.  That's my investment.  I have no clue what the @#$% you guys are talking about sayin it don't hurt as bad anymore.  I ain't with that plan. 
30t6p3b.gif

-I won't miss the NBA much if it goes on a lockout. It's a mess, and quite frankly, I think it might do the game better if a year was missed, especially if that means David Stern gets canned. I think it would do better for the game in the long run.
-Real glad the NFL resolved their lockout issues and the season is back. What I love about NFL (and college football, too) is that it's very easy to follow even if you're a more hardcore fan. Just a game over the weekend when you were going to relax in the first place...while the NBA is damn near every weeknight when there's more urgent business to take care of.
-College sports is a mess. I'm convinced all the top programs are dirty, and it's just a matter of who's smart enough not to get caught. It's very complicated to resolve the issue...and I don't know if it can really be done.
-I completely agree with some posts above that most MLB players were juicing...even those that are looked at as the ones that don't i.e. Griffey and Jeter. I'm not saying they did...but I am saying I would not be surprised if they did. It was just part of the game at that time.
-Overall, even though I still follow sports, I take it much less seriously now compared to 5 years ago. It's just something to look forward to after work/school, something that can keep you busy and allow you to relax. It's entertainment at the end of the day, nothing more nothing less.

First off, it's not a plan.

Second, you're clearly not getting what guys like me and RyGuy and Deadset and Hank are saying. All those things you named, those aren't all incidents that involve money, and they happened over a stretch of time.

Kobe/rape? Has nothing to do with sports money. Same with Magic/HIV. Marino retiring? That was a career decision, not a decision to get that green. DUIs and fights? Nothing related to money there.

Countless suspensions? I'm sure some of them had to do w/ money, be it 'roiding or otherwise cheating. Rhino and Kobe being the highest paid? That obviously has to do with money, but neiuther of those were huge black eyes to the world of sports.

There are so many black eyes in sports right now, and nearly ALL of them have to do with money, or cheating (which goes back to money).

That freaking sucks, and it makes some of us like sports less.

Apparently you ain't on that. Good for you, but I think the only way to remain completely excited about sports right now is to turn a blind eye to all this.

"Ignorance is bliss."

just to clarify, this crap doesn't make me enjoy sports any less. while it does suck, it's something you just have to deal with. that was more my point. the actual game is still great. it's just the sideshow that comes with it that get's annoying.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

can't agree with this. it's not JUST entertainment though. it's not like a movie or concert event. people invest a lot more than money into being a sports fan. you don't need to attend games to enjoy sports. i can't tell you how much sundays from september to february mean to me. as sad as it may be, it's the only time during the week where my family sits together, eats together, and does something together. as corny as that may sound and whether or not that's a sign of my family being dysfunctional
laugh.gif
, it's the truth. and it's likely true for a good amount of people in this country. now what chris johnson will make this season, or who gets busted for steroids, or where jax will be moved to won't really ruin that. at the end of the day, it's still your 11 v their 11, it's still football, and it's still YOUR team that you've followed for years winning or losing (in CP's case, most likely losing on sundays).

when you think of it, what originally got you into sports? all this side and off the field nonsense and jazz (or the lack of it, i should say), or the excitement of the game and seeing your team win? most likely the latter, and that won't change, no matter how much players make or how much it costs to attend a game. because when you're at home watching, all that matters is what's happening on the field. imo...of course
laugh.gif

That's my point, about all of it, not just the money, all the things that come from being a fan of multiple teams/multiple sports. 

Money is the #1 driver, sure, but it's not the only issue that arises. 

I've gone thru all of it over the years, why should it change now?  Why would "now", anyone get fed up?  Been goin on forever, gonna keep goin on, why lose interest? 

Hell, if anything, I've GAINED interest.  I have more tools to use, more ways to look into things, read, hear, all that.  Good, and bad.  To me, it's just.....amplified.  I guess. 

I find I care less every year as I grow older and older. Much less to do with the sport/athletes/business itself and kore the consumers of the product. The prejudices, anger, hostility, and irrational behavior associated with sports fan has completely turned me off from them in general

Futbol>

but even that has issues
nfl just got back
nba done for now
mlb just dosnt appeal to me as of right now as the cubs are miserable i catch their games if there isnt another sporting event going on
MMA is
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
the versus card was entertaining

what advice i give to yall is try to follow new sports you never know what would interest yall

Yeah I think it really is "to each his own" with sports. We obviously all look at our teams differently and on different levels. It's all good. America obviously LOVES them some sports.

CP for me it was a combination of factors, most of which was getting older and having less free time to consume sports and games and magazines and whatever else, and second was realizing a) I don't run my teams. I don't make that bad trade or decide on my starting lineup or fire/hire that coach. It's my "team" as fan but it ain't MY team, b) teams don't care what I think they just want my money or my eyeballs glued to their broadcast to gain ratings, c) living in a small-to-mid market (and having those as my "teams") means it is very rare I'm ever going to see major success and d) if we as a market don't build the latest stadium my owners are saying See Ya.

Is that all bad or wrong from their end? Not necessarily. Is this a business? Yes. But these teams or players winning or losing doesn't affect my day. Love to see success.... but unless I'm suiting up tmrw night and coming off the bench I don't take it too seriously anymore.

And let's be honest ESPN has also killed sports for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom