Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold

Current status of thread:

- Resisting is bad and is 99.999% of the time going to fail miserably.
- Cops OD sometimes, especially in NY where it seems to happen far more often. This is also bad.
- You may get your *** whooped for no apparent reason. This is also bad and should be addressed in a productive manner.
- Everyone recognizes these things and agrees for the most part.
- Still arguing somehow.
Cuz these dudes don't seem to understand that we're agreeing with them
laugh.gif

They're so busy feverishly searching for instances of police abuse they're not bothering to read and fully understand what we're trying to say.

Now y'all are agreeing with us, after pestering posters for pages, instead of focusing on the real issues.

Last edited:

Was this man resisting or defending himself? Trying to block the barage of punches and knees thrown by the swine?
They tried to trip him but its natural human reaction to try and regain balance. They try to place his hands behind his back but its natural human reaction
to try and protect your face and head from injury.
But yall dont hear me though

Did you not see them trying to put him in cuffs first before any **** happened and him trying squirm out and trying to swing at the officer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Y'all dudes buggin

Now y'all are agreeing with us, after pestering posters for pages, instead of focusing on the real issues.

dudes been back and forth this entire thread. hell 10 pages ago dudes were talking about cops and their loved ones being killed.

the "real issue" has been adressed. some cops are **** heads, and some situations can be avoided by not acting like an idiot.

what else do you want? :lol:

Because you disagree with us that people shouldn't resist we're pestering you?

I disagree with you on that but I don't see you as pestering me.

We're just talking. Is everyone that disagrees with you on a subject a pest?
Let's discuss preventative ideas. How can events like these he avoided?
I've said it multiple times in multiple threads. Cameras on cops and don't resist arrest.

unfortunately being a white female isn't the end all. there's a clip somewhere that shows a white male cop push a white female into some kind of concrete sitting area, shawty was bleeding heavy...

cameras on cops has proven to be effective in declining complaints on cops in cali i believe.

What can we do as citizens?

You guys can argue all you want, majority of NT are naive to anything like this therefore their reasoning will differ, they "don't fit the description", that's only something minorities do.

How common do you see this against whites?.... the trend is always against the blacks no matter the age.

Last edited:
unfortunately being a white female isn't the end all. there's a clip somewhere that shows a white male cop push a white female into some kind of concrete sitting area, shawty was bleeding heavy...

cameras on cops has proven to be effective in declining complaints on cops in cali i believe.

What can we do as citizens?

[Video]

article-0-1ED6697E00000578-438_634x618.jpg

OCCUPY-WALL-STREET-PROTESTS.jpg

GoPros yo. And EXTERNAL INVESTIGATIONS. Internal affairs ain't doin ****.[/Video]

Did you not see them trying to put him in cuffs first before any **** happened and him trying squirm out and trying to swing at the officer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Y'all dudes buggin
He tried to squim out and then what he do? stumble back and forth trying to gain balance with the other cop on his back. He made his hands clearly visible, extended out as a sign of surrender. Then the other cop knees him in the face thats when he tries to defend himself and swing. Then hes on the floor and what he do? But they begin to ground and pound.

Let's discuss preventative ideas. How can events like these he avoided?

Common sense no? The Police outnumber you, they have guns and non-lethal weapons at their disposal, the law is on their side... so why be combative and resist?

Show some humility, respect their authority and never resist to their commands. So many times I have seen folks resist and end up paying for it. It's like Cops lose all sense as soon as one cop is in trouble.. that gang mentality.

It kills me how every time something like this happens where it's a clear case of police misconduct, brutality, or injustice, and there's a clear racial issue at hand, people are always so quick to jump up and say "We don't have all the facts, we werent there". We have a video of exactly what happened, and of the guy being choked. We have still shots of the guy on the ground with an officer strangling him, while another officer holds his head down with his foot. The guy was clearly restrained and cuffed long before they stopped choking him and people are still trying to argue about the technicalities and point out his arrest record.

Watched the video before even coming into this thread.. should've figured that there would be two sides even though it's clear what the problem is and how bad it's gotten..

Rest in Peace :smh:

I'm scared to see what's coming in the next 50 years. :smh:

Y'all dudes buggin
That's 100% resisting arrest.

On another note what makes this a racial issue? The cop choked him because he was black?

Last edited:
That's 100% resisting arrest.

On another note what makes this a racial issue? The cop choked him because he was black?
I don't understand why everyone on here is so quick to play the race card. All I saw here was someone resisting arrest. The chokehold didn't kill him. THe chokehold was released once he got taken to the ground. The whole time he was saying "i can't breath", there was no chokehold.  He was having a heart attack (cardiac arrest). Pretty sure his weight/health were the reason for that. His asthma was another.  The excitement, adrenalin, and struggle was too much for someone of his condition. Ol boy was probably at a resting heart rate of almost 90 to begin with.

I guarantee you anyone who resists arrest, gets the man coming down on them hard physically, and most likely by multiple officers. Regardless of race. I was at a party a couple years back and this white dude was out front of the house (drunk in public). He became argumentative with the cops who showed up for noise complaint. They attempted to arrest him for drunk in public. He resisted, and he got OD body slammed unconscious on the concrete. Leaking from the head, snoring and everything. Can we say that if he wasn't white that would have never happened?

If dude in this video truly wasn't guilty of anything, then just cooperate with the fuzz, lawyer up, and handle it in court (there were tons of witnesses).

Last edited:
The main suggestion we have to prevent this from happening again are police wearing cameras which have been very effective. Said to reduce complaints around 90%

Exerp from District’s Police Complaints Board Doc which can be read HERE

"A study of the effects of officers wearing on-body cameras in Rialto, California ("Rialto study") reported that the devices appeared to cut down on the number of incidents involving the use of force while also reducing the number of complaints filed against officers. Specifically, the Rialto study showed that the devices brought down the rate at which police force was used during interactions with citizens. The Rialto Police Department assigned some of its officers to wear cameras that captured all of their encounters with citizens for the duration of each shift. The number of incidents in which these officers resorted to the use of physical force – including the use of OC spray ("pepper spray"), batons, Tasers, firearms, or canine bites – was compared against the number of incidents that arose during the shifts of their colleagues who were not wearing cameras. The shifts without cameras experienced twice as many incidents involving the use of force as the shifts with cameras.

Based on the Rialto study, it appears that when officers and citizens are aware that their actions are being recorded, both are less likely to engage in the type of conduct that leads to complaints. According to the Rialto police chief, once members of the public were notified that they were being filmed, "even drunk or agitated people tended to become more polite."

10 As a result of these behavioral changes, the Rialto Police Department saw a nearly 90 percent decrease in complaints against officers during the period studied as compared to the year preceding the study.11 "

Is there anything we (civilians) do?

The main suggestion we have to prevent this from happening again are police wearing cameras which have been very effective. Said to reduce complaints around 90%

Exerp from District’s Police Complaints Board Doc which can be read HERE

"A study of the effects of officers wearing on-body cameras in Rialto, California ("Rialto study") reported that the devices appeared to cut down on the number of incidents involving the use of force while also reducing the number of complaints filed against officers. Specifically, the Rialto study showed that the devices brought down the rate at which police force was used during interactions with citizens. The Rialto Police Department assigned some of its officers to wear cameras that captured all of their encounters with citizens for the duration of each shift. The number of incidents in which these officers resorted to the use of physical force – including the use of OC spray ("pepper spray"), batons, Tasers, firearms, or canine bites – was compared against the number of incidents that arose during the shifts of their colleagues who were not wearing cameras. The shifts without cameras experienced twice as many incidents involving the use of force as the shifts with cameras.
Based on the Rialto study, it appears that when officers and citizens are aware that their actions are being recorded, both are less likely to engage in the type of conduct that leads to complaints. According to the Rialto police chief, once members of the public were notified that they were being filmed, "even drunk or agitated people tended to become more polite."
10 As a result of these behavioral changes, the Rialto Police Department saw a nearly 90 percent decrease in complaints against officers during the period studied as compared to the year preceding the study.11 "

Is there anything we (civilians) do?
i like this
hope they make it custom throughout the police force in every state

As civilians what we need to do is keep recording cops until they start recording themselves.

Social media is a powerful tool. Keep recording these instances of police abuse and uploading them to bring attention to this problem.

Eventually it will be addressed by politicians and hopefully they run with the cameras on cops idea. It's the only logical one.

And please people don't antagonize the cops. Those of us who haven't experienced it firsthand have at least seen it firsthand.

We all know what's going to happen. Stop trying to be a tough guy and just shut your trap for a while and comply.

Last edited:
He was having a discussion/argument with the cop and the next thing he knew someone grabbed him up in a chokehold. He wasn't swinging at officers or resisting arrest. That man was trying to stay alive while he was being strangled. People are gonna bring up his past and say the words resisting arrest to the to act like this wasn't an injustice. Same ******** different day. Tired of this ****. Then we get in here and at work trying to argue the logic of it all. And it's the things repeated over and over. Let's just all agree that minorities are gonna continue to get **** on, that we'll have to keep fighting for our rights and civil liberties and slowly decrease the class divide, and that y'all can occasionally catch a random 2-piece and sometimes Daquan might knock up your daughter. It's more insulting that people act like this was benign and that none of this is because of race.

has anything come out to prove that this was racially motivated or is it just people stating what appears to be obvious?

Race related or not, this type of **** gets my blood boiling. I ******* hate cops with a passion. 

Dudes in here got the same mentality as the slaves that would take lashings and not fight back. Watch family members lynched and sisters raped by slave masters because they have "authority" over you. :smh:
repped...

They don't hear u ..

**** and log off the internet for life if you're gonna be talking that ********. seriously. i think you're confusing "slave mentality" with "not wanting to get killed by trigger happy police" or "i actually like being alive".

next time you get pulled over or stopped, or question by police, engage the officer and fisticuffs, then post GoPro video and pics to illustrate success. otherwise, shut the **** up.

people like you don't understand how EASY it is for a cop to kill you......its real simple. for instance:

you could be driving at night with no weapon on your person...just driving with friends even.

Sean_Bell_family_photo.jpg

you could be pulling out your wallet to get your house keys after work or something...and maybe your wallet+keys looks like a gun

amadou-diallo-1-sized.jpg

hell you could already be handcuffed and detained...and it will still make no difference.

Oscargrantkilledbypolice2.JPG

i mean really. look if yall want to fight the police, KNOCK YOURSELVES OUT. but don't start spewing that irrational fight the police riff raff like its some sound advice members of the black community should follow if they want to ensure their safety.

sounds like some twisted **** uncle ruckus would say if you ask me.

if police don't need a reason to kill you, why the **** would you give them one?

like i said before, resisting arrest is probably easier said then done, what with the emotional anger that being unjustly stopped, and cuffed brings especially if you didn't do anything...

untitled-1.si.jpg

but the fact remains that being compliant with police officers yields the best chance of life.

eric garner shouldn't have resisted, but that isn't to say he had it coming. there was no reason for him to not be among us. and with racist cops, plus what i recalled above, you don't have to resist for cops to bring an end to your life.

A more rational approach would be continued protests via public rallies, and people letting their representatives know, the community is together in thinking enough isn't being done to ensure this stuff won't happen again. phone calls, petitions, idk...w.e. engages lawmakers in the biggest possible way without having more black people die.

*excuse the disorganization with this post if any, im multitasking now. ill edit later lol.

the BIGGEST move would be from mayor de blasio. he hasn't been in office long enough for me to blame him for anything honestly, but the NYPD already has its history. So the strongest move the mayor could make would be termination of employment + all accumulated benefits to the family. But more importantly, and history has shown us that this probably won't happen, there needs to be jail time. an example needs to be made of this cop..or cops. w.e. to show that excessive force will not be tolerated.

i know theres the whole murder with intent, blah blah, all that legal riff raff that would play out in court. so who knows what will happen.

all i know is, a cop/cops went OD, beyond the job description and killed a guy. and a legal example needs to be made of this dude. (again i know what the history says of that happening.

but black people getting stopped by police SHOULD NOT tell the officers to eat a **** and fight back. that would be bad lol.

A man is dead and there are people legitimately trying to make excuses for this death.

There is no reason he should have died. Point blank. There is no police rule book that tells you to choke someone out. Yall dudes serious?

Back
Top Bottom