Statistical Proof Dwight Howard Is Least Respected DPY In Last 8 Seasons (from another forum)

saw this thread on the magic forum and was wondering what you guys thought about this:

Dwight Howard, the current Defensive Player of the Year (DPY), has fouled out of 3 of the last 5 games (60%). In 80 regular season games, he fouled out 5 times total (6%). I'd say that's a statistically relevant increase. Historically, earning the DPY award gets you a little respect from the officials. Go back and watch any playoff game on ESPN Classic featuring a reigning DPY and you'll see them get away with all but the most egregious fouls. At the very least, they are certainly not called for minimal contact. I wanted to see how the DPY were treated during the playoffs dating back to the 2000-2001 season. The DPY during that time frame were: Kevin Garnett, Ben Wallace, Ron Artest, Marcus Camby, and Dikembe Mutombo. During the previous 8 seasons those players played in a combined 139 playoff games. How many times did one of them get 6 fouls in a game? 3! Only 3! So the combined disqualifications of the DPY from 2000-2008 in playoff games is 3 times, which is how many times Dwight has been disqualified in the last 5 games!

Why this sudden avalanche of fouls by Dwight? In the regular season series with Cleveland, Dwight averaged only 2.6 fouls per game, but suddenly he cannot stay on the court because of foul trouble. His free throw attempts per game are extremely close to his regular season averages. He shot 10.8 per game during the regular season and 10.2 per game against the Cavs. However, LeBron's free throw attempts have shown no such consistency. He shot only 9.4 free throws per game in the regular season (8.6 per game against the Magic), but suddenly in this series he is averaging an astounding 16.6 free throw attempts per game. Why has LeBron's free throw attempts nearly doubled per game against the Magic?

For some reason, the officials seem determined to call every foul possible on Dwight. Perhaps they are sick of his constant complaining during the regular season and are teaching him a lesson, maybe they are just inadequate at their profession, or maybe they drank a little too much of the King James Kool-Aid. Whatever the reason, it's clear he is getting less respect than any other recent DPY.
from Greg Kite for Three!
heres a like to the thread: http://orlandomagiczone.c...f/8891029871/m/291101062

also, heres an article about stans thoughts on this situation:
Magic Practice Notes & Quotes

May 30, 2009

Posted by Rob Peterson

ORLANDO -- For much of the postseason, Magic coach Stan Van Gundy has noted that there has been lobbying going on in regard to technicals, flagrants and suspensions.

"I'd like to see the focus stay on the unbelievable plays made by the players in this league," Van Gundy said before Game 5 in Cleveland.

LeBron James provided Van Gundy with enough unbelievable plays that night for a lifetime. But Van Gundy slipped into a lobbyist role for a bit after Magic practice on Saturday. He'd like to see his superstar, Dwight Howard, get the same chance as LeBron has to make great plays.

"I don't think there's a player at his level in the history of the league who has been called for as many fouls," Van Gundy said. "He's fouled out four times in 31, 32 or whatever it is playoff games (editor's note: it's 31) and Tim Duncan has fouled out six times in a 190 playoffs games."

Actually, Duncan has only fouled out of four of his 160 postseason games, which is amazing in itself. Shaquille O'Neal has fouled out of 11 of his 201 postseason games.

By comparison, Howard has already fouled out of three of the five games this series.

"He doesn't get the benefit of any call," Van Gundy said. "Anything close is a foul. For them it's good strategy because right now, any contact, straight up-and-down or not, it's a foul."

Van Gundy thinks the fouls have made the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year tentative, and because of that, Howard is late on his rotations and often he ends up fouling because of it.

"I think Dwight has to go out and play his game and not worry about it," Van Gundy said. "Control the thing you can control, and [the fouls] are not one of them."
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700037939
i might be biased because im a magic fan but these numbers are ridiculous...lebron james is great by himself but bailing him out with calls justmakes me turn my head in disgust....discuss

smh.gif

anything involving Lebron James is called a foul in favor of Lebron James...

the man gets 100% of the calls that should be made for him

and the hets 90% of the calls that shouldn't be made for him

and he also gets 85% of the calls that should be made against him...

its ridiculous

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

16 FTs per game
sick.gif
...I know he attacks the basket but
smh.gif

Eat your heart out DWhistle
laugh.gif
aint lebron avging like 21 freethrows the last 3 games?
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Just look @ Wade's numbers from the '06 Finals and the numbers from this series for Bron, it's startling:

D-Wade: Had 97 attempts in 6 games
[table][tr][td]pos[/td] [td]min[/td] [td]fgm-a[/td] [td]3pm-a[/td] [td]ftm-a[/td] [td]off[/td] [td]def[/td] [td]tot[/td] [td]ast[/td] [td]pf[/td] [td]st[/td] [td]to[/td] [td]bs[/td] [td]pts[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td].Wade[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]43:02[/td] [td]11-25[/td] [td]0-2[/td] [td]6-10[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]28[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td].Wade[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]40:00[/td] [td]6-19[/td] [td]0-0[/td] [td]11-14[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]23[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td].Wade[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]43:05[/td] [td]14-26[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]13-18[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]42[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td].Wade[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]39:38[/td] [td]13-23[/td] [td]2-5[/td] [td]8-9[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]36[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td].Wade[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]50:06[/td] [td]11-28[/td] [td]0-2[/td] [td]21-25[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]43[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td].Wade[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]45:24[/td] [td]10-18[/td] [td]0-0[/td] [td]16-21[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]36[/td] [/tr][/table]
Lebron: has 83 FT attempts through 5 games

[table][tr][td] MIN[/td] [td]FG[/td] [td]3P[/td] [td]FT[/td] [td]STL[/td] [td]BLK[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]PF[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]TOT[/td] [td]AST[/td] [td]PTS[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]5/20[/td] [td]Orl
[/td] [td]L 107-106[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]20-30[/td] [td]3-6
[/td] [td]6-10[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]49[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5/22[/td] [td]Orl
[/td] [td]W 96-95[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]12-23[/td] [td]1-3
[/td] [td]10-12[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]35[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5/24[/td] [td]@Orl
[/td] [td]L 99-89[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]11-28[/td] [td]1-8
[/td] [td]18-24[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]41[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5/26[/td] [td]@Orl
[/td] [td]L 116-114[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]13-29[/td] [td]4-10
[/td] [td]14-18[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]44[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5/28[/td] [td]Orl
[/td] [td]W 112-102[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]11-24[/td] [td]0-2
[/td] [td]15-19[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]37[/td] [/tr][/table]

i think ESPN had some stat that more then half of his fouls where calls bron got on him

Funny how LeBron haters get high off of stats they can use to hate on LeBron, but any other time you mention LeBron's stats to point out LeBron greatness,they call you a stat ++##$.

Funny how LeBron riders get high off of stats they can use to ride on LeBron, but any other time you mention LeBron's stats to point out LeBron'sflaws, they call you a hater %!$#%.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Funny how LeBron riders get high off of stats they can use to ride on LeBron, but any other time you mention LeBron's stats to point out LeBron's flaws, they call you a hater %!$#%.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Funny how LeBron riders get high off of stats they can use to ride on LeBron, but any other time you mention LeBron's stats to point out LeBron's flaws, they call you a hater %!$#%.

laugh.gif
This ain't the first time one of the NBA's rising stars has been the beneficiary of playoff whistles... And it won't be the last...

Get used to it. It is what it is, and it's here to stay...

it's pretty much impossible to NOT foul lebron when he drives hard to the basket ...

however, at least 2-3 fouls on howard have been on that piece of %#*@ varaejao (sp? i usually spell everything right but i couldn't care less about thisguy). this doesn't make sense to me. it's not like he's super skilled on offense or something ... he just flops constantly.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Funny how LeBron haters get high off of stats they can use to hate on LeBron, but any other time you mention LeBron's stats to point out LeBron greatness, they call you a stat ++##$.

no one saying lebron isnt great...you have to be an extreme hater to not admit that.

but the skewness of these calls have to raise your eyebrows.

the names mentioned with the execption of ron artest (who was a wing player so he is less likely to foul out) were apart of a defensvie team. if dwightteammates would try to get in lebrons way sometimes he would get less fouls called

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

the names mentioned with the execption of ron artest (who was a wing player so he is less likely to foul out) were apart of a defensvie team. if dwight teammates would try to get in lebrons way sometimes he would get less fouls called
Then explain how he rarely fouled out in the regular season? The playoffs are supposed to be more physical, yet one guy is shooting twice hisseason average on free throws, and the other guy is fouling out every other game.

Most of Dwight's fouls he isn't doing anything wrong. He is outside of the circle, standing straight up maintaining verticality, and doesn't bringhis arms down and they still call it a foul on him. 16 of his 27 fouls have been against LeBron btw. Bron is just dropping his shoulder trucking dudes

Originally Posted by ericberry14

anything involving Lebron James is called a foul in favor of Lebron James...

the man gets 100% of the calls that should be made for him

and the hets 90% of the calls that shouldn't be made for him

and he also gets 85% of the calls that should be made against him...

its ridiculous

QFT

i realized this when the refs called a foul on that 3 point attempt by Lebron at the end of game 3 which was clearly a clean block...i mean the DPOYdeserves more credit than that

man i wish last years MVP got some calls against the DPOY last year
frown.gif

all stars are always gonna get the call that will never change but I do agree Howard needs to start getting those calls as well especially on the defensiveside....I guess we'll see what happens in the finals

Back
Top Bottom