Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Can anyone hook it up on what stuff to eat if your dieting? What kind of stuff I should look for, what kinda stuff I should stay away from? What would be a good replacement for white rice (Im Filipino, so giving up rice is hard to do). RECIPES?
Replace white rice and bread with brown rice and whole grain/wheat bread. I still consume white rice with fish at school 2-3 times a week. But other than that, I do go for the brown rice when available.

Do the obvious...avoid fast food, fried food, junk food, soda, etc. I try to eat fish and white meats. I'll have steaks once in a while, but not on a regular basis anymore.

Good fats include nuts, peanut butter, avocado.

Try to consume based on your BMR if you want to maintain your weight, a bit less if you wanna lose weight, or a bit more if you want to gain weight.

I replaced regular milk with fat free milk.

My snacks include all sorts of fruits and a trail mix I made myself with almonds, raisins, and cranberries.

For the last 2 weeks I've been living at Starbucks doing work for school and I do try to make sensible choices, ie tall skinny vanilla latter or hot chocolate with fat free milk, sugar free vanilla syrup, and 1 pump of chocolate instead of the normal 3. I swear I cannot taste the diff
laugh.gif
Thank you very much
pimp.gif

Would eating around 1500-2000 calories a day and doing cardio for 40 minutes 5-6 days a week with a little light weights 2-3 days be a good thing?

And can anyone clarify the difference between saturated and trans fat?

Originally Posted by wj4

Can anyone hook it up on what stuff to eat if your dieting? What kind of stuff I should look for, what kinda stuff I should stay away from? What would be a good replacement for white rice (Im Filipino, so giving up rice is hard to do). RECIPES?
Replace white rice and bread with brown rice and whole grain/wheat bread. I still consume white rice with fish at school 2-3 times a week. But other than that, I do go for the brown rice when available.

Do the obvious...avoid fast food, fried food, junk food, soda, etc. I try to eat fish and white meats. I'll have steaks once in a while, but not on a regular basis anymore.

Try to consume based on your BMR if you want to maintain your weight, a bit less if you wanna lose weight, or a bit more if you want to gain weight.

My snacks include all sorts of fruits and a trail mix I made myself with almonds, raisins, and cranberries.

For the last 2 weeks I've been living at Starbucks doing work for school and I do try to make sensible choices, ie tall skinny vanilla latter or hot chocolate with fat free milk, sugar free vanilla syrup, and 1 pump of chocolate instead of the normal 3. I swear I cannot taste the diff
laugh.gif

I always get confused with BMR.. but isnt that what your body needs to just function (i.e. just lying in bed all day). If thats the case my BMR is around1680kcal.. I wouldn't recommend anything that low.. 1800kcal is supposedly the recommended minimum to cut.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif

I always get confused with BMR.. but isnt that what your body needs to just function (i.e. just lying in bed all day). If thats the case my BMR is around 1680kcal.. I wouldn't recommend anything that low.. 1800kcal is supposedly the recommended minimum to cut.
Right, BMR is how many cals your body burns in a day if you were to sleep and do nothing. The site I use to plug in the numbers give you the BMRrate and the suggested rate to maintain the weight based on your physical activity. I don't follow it down to the tee, but I do guesstimate. I like touse it as a base line to see what I can eat in a day and still get away with it.

Laced up- that info is too vague. I'm 5'10'' at 145 lbs and I don't think I can stay full if I consume less than 2000 cals a day. Howeverin my fatter days when I was around 200-210, I know for sure I was eating around 1500-1800 cals a day and I didn't get hungry.

Trans fat is another name for saturated fat. I knew more when I read about it in a book, but all I can remember is that it raises your 'bad'cholesterol level and lowers your 'good' cholesterol level.

Also watch out for the non or low fat foods, while calories may look good...they may contain a crap load of artificial ingredients, ie stuff you cannotpronounce. And also look out for sugar hidden in other forms such as corn syrup, fructose, hydrogenated oil.

Below is the link to a BMR calculator that I used for the last year or so.

http://health.drgily.com/basal-metabolic-rate-calculator.php

Originally Posted by Joshuatree2192

Is mashed potatoes a bad post workout meal?
That's not a meal.
laugh.gif
If possible I would go with sweet potato AKA the super vegetable. Nutrition wise, nothing even comes close. And ittastes yummy too. I usually get pretty hungry after the gym and aside from a scoop of whey protein, I come home to 3 egg whites, a piece of chicken breast orfish with wheat pasta.

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
Thank you very much
pimp.gif

Would eating around 1500-2000 calories a day and doing cardio for 40 minutes 5-6 days a week with a little light weights 2-3 days be a good thing?

it's been said already, but 1500 is too low imo. i think 40 min x 5 or 6 is OD cardio too. it seems like your goal is basically weight loss. stick to a more reasonable diet, mix heavy and moderate weight training with HIIT and cardio (3 or 4 times a week is fine) and you'll be a lot better offmaintaining your progress and staying at your goal weight. don't go too light on the resistance training or you're wasting your time. yourlifts/calisthenics/resistance work should always be challenging.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
Thank you very much
pimp.gif

it's been said already, but 1500 is too low imo. i think 40 min x 5 or 6 is OD cardio too. it seems like your goal is basically weight loss. stick to a more reasonable diet, mix heavy and moderate weight training with HIIT and cardio (3 or 4 times a week is fine) and you'll be a lot better off maintaining your progress and staying at your goal weight. don't go too light on the resistance training or you're wasting your time. your lifts/calisthenics/resistance work should always be challenging.
I'm trying beginners HIIT (with 9 sets of 30 seconds going full speed then 1 minute 30 seconds rest).

What I'm trying to do is lose the weight and the fat (I'm 5'7 180 and I wanna get down to 150) then bulk up 15 pounds to get to 165 of muscle.

Can anyone also recommend me of what I can do with a 80 pound weights (I try to work out at home) of barbells and dumbbells? If anyone can set up a set x repof exercises I can do it and when I can do it, that would be hella appreciated.

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

I've been going once every 2 days instead of every other day now.

That's not bad is it...?

Yeah i'd like to know more informaton this. I go like 2-3x a day yo, almost automatic Reggie Miller In His Prime every morning styles. I don't knowit must be oats or im just having a good flush.

I read somewhere you should be ideally excreting 2-3x a day?

Also.. lets say you eat some food in the morning, and take a dump later, does that mean the foods wasted? Or is it food from the night before? This prob besounding weird, but when im on my diet I feel mad hungry after the drop off
roll.gif

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

I've been going once every 2 days instead of every other day now.

That's not bad is it...?

Yeah i'd like to know more informaton this. I go like 2-3x a day yo, almost automatic Reggie Miller In His Prime every morning styles. I don't know it must be oats or im just having a good flush.

Also.. lets say you eat some food in the morning, and take a dump later, does that mean the foods wasted? Or is it food from the night before? This prob be sounding weird, but when im on my diet I feel mad hungry after the drop off
roll.gif
yea, you should be going at least once a day, twice or more is pretty good. sometimes i hit 4 a day
laugh.gif

and unless you have the runs, it takes a long time for everything to pass through even if you're very regular, so those eat'n'go occurrencesdon't mean you wasted your money
laugh.gif

Trans fat is another name for saturated fat. I knew more when I read about it in a book, but all I can remember is that it raises your 'bad' cholesterol level and lowers your 'good' cholesterol level.

Trans fat and saturated fat are different kinds of fat.

Also.. lets say you eat some food in the morning, and take a dump later, does that mean the foods wasted? Or is it food from the night before? This prob be sounding weird, but when im on my diet I feel mad hungry after the drop off
roll.gif

It certainly doesnt mean the food is wasted. Its the food from the day+ before. Transit time is normally anywhere from 6 hours at the earliestto like a day and a half. It takes around 4 hours for the food you just consumed to be digested/absorbed so its not being wasted.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by nealraj006

3-5 is for strength. 6-12 is for size and strength
Weight lifters lift low reps because it doesn't cause as big of a gain in mass as more reps would. That's why you can see small guys lifting huge weights; they keep the reps low to limit the growth in size.

Yeah, the weight should also change accordingly. You should be just able to do 5 reps at most with the weight. But don't train to the point of exhaustion. You should never feel depleted after a workout. Training to failure consistently isn't good. You should only use it to break past a sticking point.
you sure about that? I have been told to increase the weights for mass, for example for preacher curls, 140 lbs at 5 reps is better for more mass then 90 at 10
Math that out.... 140 lbs at 5 reps is a total workload of 700 lbs while 90 at 10 reps is 900 lbs of a workload.
So, it isnt best to always go higher weights to gain mass?I do for preachers lets say, 110 at 10, 120 at 8 and 140 at 6 I should take out the 140 and replace it with a 90?

Higher weights typically mean more mass but there are some points where the total workload is higher if the weight is slightly reduced and the reps areslightly increased.

Keep the 140 at 6.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while...

Do you guys drink a lot?
I work out about 6 days a week normally but I go out drinking about 4/5 days a week and drink quite a lot(law school FTW).

I'm looking to gain some weight and start training to add some muscle to my extremely lean physique. As of right now, I can eat pretty much anythingwithout gaining a pound (High metabolism FTL) and I'd like to add a bit more muscle mass.

Just looking for some input on what foods to eat, the best time to train, beginner routines to follow, etc. I haven't done any weight training before andunderstand that results take time, but I'm just looking to get any results at this stage
laugh.gif
Any help would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

I'm looking to gain some weight and start training to add some muscle to my extremely lean physique. As of right now, I can eat pretty much anything without gaining a pound (High metabolism FTL) and I'd like to add a bit more muscle mass.

Just looking for some input on what foods to eat, the best time to train, beginner routines to follow, etc. I haven't done any weight training before and understand that results take time, but I'm just looking to get any results at this stage
laugh.gif

Same here...
I'm 5'11" and 140lbs...looking to put on like 15-20lbs...
Can't do it for the life of me...
Used to drink 2 Ensure Plus a day (it did nothing)
I'm about to join a gym...
Anything I should be doing/not doing?

Weight lifters lift low reps because it doesn't cause as big of a gain in mass as more reps would. That's why you can see small guys lifting huge weights; they keep the reps low to limit the growth in size.

Yeah, the weight should also change accordingly. You should be just able to do 5 reps at most with the weight. But don't train to the point of exhaustion. You should never feel depleted after a workout. Training to failure consistently isn't good. You should only use it to break past a sticking point.
you sure about that? I have been told to increase the weights for mass, for example for preacher curls, 140 lbs at 5 reps is better for more mass then 90 at 10
Math that out.... 140 lbs at 5 reps is a total workload of 700 lbs while 90 at 10 reps is 900 lbs of a workload.

Well, hold on... I would think another part of it would be the power you're exerting... You need to recruit far more muscle fibers to lift 140, then you doto lift 90... That comes into it, no?

Ensure is for senior citizens

man.........october was real busy for me, know ive missed tons in this thread................were in nov 09 now huh

man i never had a problem gaining weight, you guys might think youre eating enough but its really not...........BUT yes matabolism is also very real too.

50 %protein 40% carbs 10% fat is the rule id follow for putting on weight/mass.........hell its what i do now still even. fpr you guys who are real lean hardgains i might even up the carbs more.

what kinds of foods do you intake? back in the old thread i made a huge list foods i eat myself. nuts (specific kinds), fish, brown rice, etc. ill have toupdate that list. i got that day off today.

Originally Posted by Stixx

I'm looking to gain some weight and start training to add some muscle to my extremely lean physique. As of right now, I can eat pretty much anything without gaining a pound (High metabolism FTL) and I'd like to add a bit more muscle mass.

Just looking for some input on what foods to eat, the best time to train, beginner routines to follow, etc. I haven't done any weight training before and understand that results take time, but I'm just looking to get any results at this stage
laugh.gif

Same here...

laugh.gif
The hell was 2 Ensure +'s a day gonna do. You should've beendrinking 2 Ensure +'s with every meal, and drinking a protein shake.

Originally Posted by Stixx

laugh.gif

Same here...

I think I found Waldo

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

ITS NOVEMBER I CANT BELIEVE EVERYONE BACKED OUT FROM POSTING PICTURES.

laugh.gif

yo wasnt that suppose to be early oct?

i feel like i missed a lot, then the last few times i checked it was this dude dark chocolate just startin crap with everybody so i was like w/e time for a newthread.

def wanna get this back to how it was again.

well we might as well work hard now because thanksgiving-xmas is fat boy time
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Well, hold on... I would think another part of it would be the power you're exerting... You need to recruit far more muscle fibers to lift 140, then you do to lift 90... That comes into it, no?
It does, absolutley. But youre lifting 140 for a smaller portion of time. You need to recruit more fibers to lift 140, i'll increase yourstrength. It's different for gaining size/mass.

All this is under the assumption that both 140/5 and 90/10 are at the same "ratio". Meaning that one isnt "easier" and theyre both themaximum amount thats able to be lifted at that rep number.

50 %protein 40% carbs 10% fat is the rule id follow for putting on weight/mass.........hell its what i do now still even. fpr you guys who are real lean hard gains i might even up the carbs more.

Yeah id increase the carbs and lower the protein if the person is looking to add on size. 50% protein is very high.

Do you guys drink a lot?
I work out about 6 days a week normally but I go out drinking about 4/5 days a week and drink quite a lot(law school FTW).

I might have a beer per week. Thats if I actually drink.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sneakerlover88

Do you guys drink a lot?
check post #183 on page 10. i put up a video (it's set to start right at the explanation) that explains the effects of alcohol on musclesspecifically. there are also the metabolic effects of excess calories. it also explains what diets high on sugar will do to your body. in short, it'spretty counterproductive.

Back
Top Bottom