Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

just started insanity with shaun T. im 5 days in
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

What do you guys think of doing planks?
A good way to workout the core?

i do variations of thai planks all the time

definitely a core-worker and good for developing strong abs that can take a hit, should the situation ever present itself.

I know this probably been asked before but how in the hell do I get rid of belly fat?

I do 30 minutes on the elliptical mon, weds, fri, and a hour on tues and thurs but I don't see any change. I eat roughly 2000 calories a day also on Mon, weds, and fri I hit the weight machines. My arms and legs are making progress but my belly is not going down what so ever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by RedMan

I know this probably been asked before but how in the hell do I get rid of belly fat?

I do 30 minutes on the elliptical mon, weds, fri, and a hour on tues and thurs but I don't see any change. I eat roughly 2000 calories a day also on Mon, weds, and fri I hit the weight machines. My arms and legs are making progress but my belly is not going down what so ever.

keep up the good work. 
That fat is going to be one of the last to go my friend, sucks but its true.

Originally Posted by ngbetter11

can anyone recommend a beginner level workout plan for me? my goal is pretty much to put on lean muscle.. mostly upper body.. my legs/thighs is where most of my fat gets stored.. so i really dont want a workout plan that focuses heavily on legs (i know how important legs are.. but i just dont want big legs.. sue me)..

im currently at 150lb.. and 160lb is probably the biggest im willing to get.. honestly id prefer to just stay at my weight, but fill out my current frame with more muscle if that makes sense..

sorry for the newbie questions.. but thanks for your time guys!

http://forum.bodybuilding...showthread.php?t=4195843

Do the legs regardless of what you think. Its pretty much only the squats that focus on your thighs so its nothing huge, but youll gain muscle and more muscle helps you burn more fat. Believe me that the extra muscle on your legs will not be something you'll regret, because your legs will not look fatter, instead they'll allow you to burn more fat and look like you want sooner.

I've been reading up about the Keto diet just because of this thread and I think I'm gonna start. For the NT'ers that have started this process could you answer a few questions for me?
1) How long would you continuously be on this diet?

2) Is a CHO load up period during the weekends needed or that beneficial?

3) Would you recommend zero CHO or just a bit (5% daily cal)?

4) No fruits, no sugars, no corn, no starch, no milk, etc, but as a college student what would you find the best source for my fats and proteins (I'm guessing beef and cheese, maybe sausage?)?

5) Are Keto sticks absolutely needed?

6) What sites do you usually visit to get all your nutritional information (I currently use fitaday) and logs?

7) Any sample diets out there?

I'm looking to cut some weight and planned to be at a -400 cal deficit while incorporating the Keto diet with regular weight training and cardio. Would a 5% CHO, 25% Protein, 70% Fat diet be ideal? Also, any thoughts on this diet being combined with an EC stack?

Thanks NT   

Originally Posted by sole searchin

I've been reading up about the Keto diet just because of this thread and I think I'm gonna start. For the NT'ers that have started this process could you answer a few questions for me?
1) How long would you continuously be on this diet?

4) No fruits, no sugars, no corn, no starch, no milk, etc, but as a college student what would you find the best source for my fats and proteins (I'm guessing beef and cheese, maybe sausage?)?

6) What sites do you usually visit to get all your nutritional information (I currently use fitaday) and logs?

7) Any sample diets out there?

I'm looking to cut some weight and planned to be at a -400 cal deficit while incorporating the Keto diet with regular weight training and cardio. Would a 5% CHO, 25% Protein, 70% Fat diet be ideal? Also, any thoughts on this diet being combined with an EC stack?

Thanks NT   
http://forum.bodybuilding...owthread.php?t=132598293

I used this link to get an overview of keto, and made a grocery list of foods that were good to buy.

I am also about to start keto on friday. Most likely going to fast Thursday at 6p.m., eat 0 carbs on Friday, and try to eat 3-5% carbs on Saturday, and hopefully maintain the 3-5% for the rest of the week.

As for carb-up's, I probably will not carb up until my body gets used to the the induction period of ketosis, and even then I will probably carb up once every week and a half - two weeks.

i was super pumped to try the keto diet out. about a month ago i got serious and gave it a shot. super excited going to the grocery store and picking up all the keto foods. i was going with the cyclical keto diet, which is for the first 2 weeks you stick to a keto diet only. after that you get to carb up for 1-2 days each week. it sounded like the best keto diet as i would get to satisfy those carb cravings once a week.

how did it go? horribly. i started on a monday and by thursday my carb cravings were too intense. i was at work looking up where all the food trucks were going to be. i was straight fein'nn for carbs. ended up giving in and getting some mogo sliders and quesadillas. smh. and it was pretty much over at that point since once you get your body out of the ketogenic state, you have to do all that work to get back into it.

even though i was only on a keto diet for less than a week i could definitely notice a difference in my body. maybe not visually, but i definitely could see the diet working out very well for anyone with the will power to stick it out. i do want to give it another shot and i think i will, but it is extremely difficult, for me, especially during the summer time when all i want to do is eat good food and drink alcohol. good luck to anyone giving it a shot and dont give up as easily as i did because it will work if you stick to the guidelines.

Back from a week's vacation in Belize, I got zero motivation for the gym, my hope is it comes back. Cant be the only one who has fallen in this trap.

sole searchin wrote:

I don't like the premise of a ketogenic diet. You'd rather focus on quality carbohydrate sources for post workout nutrition and fat and protein for the rest of the day. Small amounts of carbohydrates aren't going to harm your fat loss if they come from vegetables. Lots of green veggies and meat. Fruit/yams post workout.
You don't even need to be on a low carbohydrate diet to reach a state of ketosis. Intermittent fasting achieves that just fine without all the micrmanaging of macronutrients. Ketostix aren't necessary. Being on a low carbohydrate diet should be enough. Meat, nuts(not too many), coconut products(oil, cream, etc.), etc. along with plenty of vegetables is far superior to a ketogenic diet. If you want information on a very low carbohydrate diet that also involves carb ups, check out "The Anabolic Diet" by Dr Mauro Dipasquale.

RedMan wrote:

Cut carbohydrate intake.

RFX45 wrote:
What do you guys think of doing planks? 
A good way to workout the core?

For teaching tension techniques, sure. For a workout, not really. Doing minute long planks is going train endurance mainly and won't do much for abdominal development. You're better off working L-sits, hanging leg raises(toes to bar), and dragon flags.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Back from a week's vacation in Belize, I got zero motivation for the gym, my hope is it comes back. Cant be the only one who has fallen in this trap.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by ngbetter11

can anyone recommend a beginner level workout plan for me? my goal is pretty much to put on lean muscle.. mostly upper body.. my legs/thighs is where most of my fat gets stored.. so i really dont want a workout plan that focuses heavily on legs (i know how important legs are.. but i just dont want big legs.. sue me)..

im currently at 150lb.. and 160lb is probably the biggest im willing to get.. honestly id prefer to just stay at my weight, but fill out my current frame with more muscle if that makes sense..

sorry for the newbie questions.. but thanks for your time guys!

http://forum.bodybuilding...showthread.php?t=4195843

Do the legs regardless of what you think. Its pretty much only the squats that focus on your thighs so its nothing huge, but youll gain muscle and more muscle helps you burn more fat. Believe me that the extra muscle on your legs will not be something you'll regret, because your legs will not look fatter, instead they'll allow you to burn more fat and look like you want sooner.

thank you so much for your reply!! appreciate it!

ive been doing starting strength for the past month and half.. and that program requires squats three times a week just like this program. someone said a 4 day split workout would be better for my goals but im not informed enough to put a workout plan together myself (dont want to risk overworking a certain muscle, etc.. etc..) i know squats are crucial to growth all around.. but is there any program that doesnt require me to do them so often? i really really dont want my thighs bigger..i actually want them to be slimmer.

i actually like wearing slim/skinny jeans. idgaf.

is this more of a fat loss problem though? would cardio/better diet be a better solution? my diet is pretty clean for the most part, and i have "cheat" meals/foods once or twice during the weekend.

thanks once again.. sorry for teh repetitive questions!!

To ngbetter11 here is a 4 day split I occasionally do. Works real well for me.
Mon chest 12 sets calves 6 sets
Tues back 12 sets hamstrings 6 sets
Wed off
Thur shoulders 5sets traps 5 sets triceps 4 sets calves 4 sets
Fri quads 12 sets biceps 6 sets
Sat off
Sun off.

Originally Posted by runzombierun

Originally Posted by TheeQuickness

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

just started insanity with shaun T. im 5 days in
pimp.gif

Goodluck. I finished the program and lost 22 lbs.
what would you say your fitness level was when you started?

Just started the second month. I've lost 20+ so far with dieting and running. It's tough but I want to lose 30 more. I'm think to do round two.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by Zyzz

do you actually need to carb up? is it dangerous not to?

you and millions of people who had no idea what carb up means have been alive thus far.

he's talking on a keto diet broyea u do or else weight loss slows/stalls but u don't need to do it every week....I wait 2 weeka before my first and then feel it out from there....if you aren't that active outside of the gym maybe every 10 days would be agood way to start.

Are my splits bad?

Mon- chest/back
Tue- shoulders, biceps, triceps
Wed- off day or light cardio
Thurs- chest/back
Fri- shoulders, biceps, triceps
Sat- off
Sun- off

I also do abs mostly after every workout and I do legs twice a week

^with this split your shoulders and arms are getting hit 4 times a week. They get hit good with back and chest workouts too. If you wanna alternate between two workouts m,t,t,f I would do a push/pull split. Push exercises one day and pull exercises the next. That would hit them twice a week or you could do this m,w,f and hit them 3 times every 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom