STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Cardio isn’t exactly necessary depending on your job. If you’re sitting at a desk all day, then yeah it’s good to go for a run/jog/etc for a few minutes a day at least to get some blood flowing. If you’re a waiter, work retail, etc, then you’re on your feet all day anyway. When I really wanted to lose weight (220 to 185) I got a fit bit to track how many calories I burn and how many steps I take in a day. Big difference sitting at my desk vs being reminding to hit my calorie/step goal per day. I also lifted weights 4-5 times a week.

I don’t work a desk job, but it isn’t heavy lifting or anything.

A lot of standing and climbing a ladder.

I always jog on the treadmill for about ½ - 1 mile to warm up before lifting. That's about the extent of cardio I get. Need to do a little more TBH.

Cardio isn’t exactly necessary depending on your job. If you’re sitting at a desk all day, then yeah it’s good to go for a run/jog/etc for a few minutes a day at least to get some blood flowing. If you’re a waiter, work retail, etc, then you’re on your feet all day anyway. When I really wanted to lose weight (220 to 185) I got a fit bit to track how many calories I burn and how many steps I take in a day. Big difference sitting at my desk vs being reminding to hit my calorie/step goal per day. I also lifted weights 4-5 times a week.
Bruh this ain’t it :lol:

Bigger, faster, stronger ain’t coming from idle standing and leisurely walking

Its just Boss.

I was 220 on Saturday, almost 40 down.

95749BEF-681E-4846-B925-1F0C50252F56.gif

Bruh this ain’t it :lol:

Bigger, faster, stronger ain’t coming from idle standing and leisurely walking

I wasn’t giving a model to follow. I was pointing out that if you’re sitting at a desk all day, you need to make sure you get up and move. It’s easy to let hours go by without getting up if you’re busy. The Fitbit was a good tracker and reminder to get up and move throughout my work day.

My line of work requires us to take a fitness test every year. so doing cardio had to become second nature. Just have to find ways to switch it up.

Run, bike, row, jump rope, swim, stairs, rope, basketball, all boxing equipment, sparring, steps, sprints, sled push/pull, I mean I could go on forever and each thing has so many variations.

Word. Been mixing it up with treadmill, stairs, rowing machine and eliptical in addition to sparring and jumping rope.

Gonna start running outside in trails once the weather gets better. Hop back in the pool also.

I've cut way back on the cardio since I started following current research. I mostly try to stick to HIIT for cardio but I love to run and still get in a long run once a week - weather permitting.

Just my .02.. For folks trying to lose weight and not seeing the results after doing excessive cardio, dig into the current research and I think you will learn that excessive cardio could be working against your plan, especially if you are hitting the weights hard.

What is excessive cardio?

Mostly speaking in regards to recovery.. If you are hitting weights hard and also doing heavy cardio in same day, you are going to have a very hard time recovering completely. This leads to stress, which leads to release of cortisol. I am no expert on hormones, so not going to dive any deeper but there is plenty of current research out there to read. Very boring to read.. lol

Current research is also showing that your body burns a ton of calories while doing cardio, but excessive cardio makes your body burn energy much more efficiently when you are not exerting yourself. HIIT or more intense weight sessions and skipping the long cardio sessions seem to have opposite affect, making you much less efficient at using energy while at rest, so you burn more calories over a 24 hour period. I know it sounds crazy, but that is what some of the research is showing.

We all have different goals and what works for one person might nor work for another. If you trying to get to 4% body fat for an event, then you gonna be doing things different than someone just trying to maintain their 6-pack.. If you love doing tons of cardio and you are accomplishing your fitness/health goals, then you probably not reading this anyway.

Mostly speaking in regards to recovery.. If you are hitting weights hard and also doing heavy cardio in same day, you are going to have a very hard time recovering completely. This leads to stress, which leads to release of cortisol. I am no expert on hormones, so not going to dive any deeper but there is plenty of current research out there to read. Very boring to read.. lol

Current research is also showing that your body burns a ton of calories while doing cardio, but excessive cardio makes your body burn energy much more efficiently when you are not exerting yourself. HIIT or more intense weight sessions and skipping the long cardio sessions seem to have opposite affect, making you much less efficient at using energy while at rest, so you burn more calories over a 24 hour period. I know it sounds crazy, but that is what some of the research is showing.

We all have different goals and what works for one person might nor work for another. If you trying to get to 4% body fat for an event, then you gonna be doing things different than someone just trying to maintain their 6-pack.. If you love doing tons of cardio and you are accomplishing your fitness/health goals, then you probably not reading this anyway.
Oh naw man I didn’t mean to slam your comment. Always wanting to learn. Overtraining in anything will bring on injury and fatigue. I train more for ability than looks so everything I do is with intentions of working harder, faster and longer. Of course goals change everything for everyone.

Last edited:
speaking of overtraining, have you guys heard of Whoop? https://www.whoop.com
in a nutshell it tracks your heart rate variablity to track where your body is at interms of recovery.

a couple people at my gym have it so i’m letting them be the guinea pigs before i hop in :lol:
seems pretty legit though. apparently it even knows when you’ve been drinking and you recovery is affected

if i decide to get one i’ll post some more first hand experience on it

For those that hate cardio (I do), just jump on a treadmill after your session and run some HIIT. 4x sets at 15 speed, with 15-30secs rest will do you good. I did this post-holiday and during the off season. Helps you get back into shape.

If it gets easy, then reduce the rest time, or up the speed.

I play ball 3-4x a week and with 2x weight sessions in between I can't fathom doing more cardio.

It’s crazy how strong I feel on squats now and I’m only getting stronger. Was supposed to be a rest day but cause if the snow storm tomorrow I gotta get the work in. After this program I might just have to compete in the 74kg class

350 1x3 rpe 7
315 2x5 (wasn’t even supposed to do this. Thought I had 325 on the bar but I didn’t lol)
325 3x5

What’s going on fam? Checking back in here after another hot minute. Life is busy. But here’s my last DL PR. The disgrace of someone stepping up on the platform :lol:. Again I need to not get too hyped and remember to drop the hips and sit up more

Now I’m about 4 weeks into contest prep for a men’s physique show. First one! Thought PL would be my first but I had more physique to work with this round :lol:

What’s going on fam? Checking back in here after another hot minute. Life is busy. But here’s my last DL PR. The disgrace of someone stepping up on the platform :lol:. Again I need to not get too hyped and remember to drop the hips and sit up more

Now I’m about 4 weeks into contest prep for a men’s physique show. First one! Thought PL would be my first but I had more physique to work with this round :lol:

Good stuff bro!

I gotta ask,not bashing you or nothing, but with sumos dont you need to go down/squat lower?

Im actually going to switch from conventional to sumo and ive been reading up on it.

Back
Top Bottom