STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Can someone explain why when squatting people teach pushing through the heels? I've read that it puts less stress on the knees and lower back, but it seems like in most natural movements (running, jumping, etc) you strike with your forefoot, not your heel.

I tried squatting pushing through the midfoot/forefoot today instead of the heel as I usually do and the movement felt much more quad dominant, whereas usually I barely feel my quads working.
"Pushing through the heel" is an overused cue that is used when squatting.  It is mainly used to make sure the squatter doesn't shift their weight forward during the concentric phase of the squat but you should be driving up up through your both the midfoot/heel. 

Midfoot/heel is the right answer. Pushing too much with the heel and you run the risk of losing balance. Push too much with the forefoot and you run the risk of hurting your knees. You don't ever want a squat to feel quad dominant. You want the activation of the hamstrings and glutes to assist in the lift and also to prevent your knees from tracking too far outward.

Need some tips for one of my brothers..his uncle just passed of cancer and that's #4 in the last yr to pass from it in his family. He's serious about getting into shape/healthy after being overweight the past 13 yrs but doesn't know where to start. He just signed up at planet fitness lol. I would give him my routine but think it would be too much... What should I urge him to start on??

Need some tips for one of my brothers..his uncle just passed of cancer and that's #4 in the last yr to pass from it in his family. He's serious about getting into shape/healthy after being overweight the past 13 yrs but doesn't know where to start. He just signed up at planet fitness lol. I would give him my routine but think it would be too much... What should I urge him to start on??

diet first and foremost

if you already know how to lift, show him a few workouts to do as a beginner

Lifting ain't gonna prevent cancer

My dad is in great shape for a 56 year old and he just dealt with prostate cancer...luckily he's healed from it [emoji]128591[/emoji]

Lifting ain't gonna prevent cancer

My dad is in great shape for a 56 year old and he just dealt with prostate cancer...luckily he's healed from it [emoji]128591[/emoji]
it does something tho 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...g-muscles-cut-cancer-risk-by-40-per-cent.html
[h1]Men with big muscles cut cancer risk by 40 per cent[/h1][h2]Men with stronger muscles from regular weight training are up to 40 per cent less likely to die from cancer than men who do not pump iron, according to new research.[/h2]
The findings, by an international team of researchers, suggest muscular strength is as important as staying slim and eating healthily when it comes to protecting the body against deadly tumours.

The scientists who came up with the findings are recommending men weight train at least twice a week, exercising muscle groups in both the upper and lower body.

In recent years, experts have recommended a healthy diet and lifestyle - including regular aerobic exercise such as jogging or cycling to reduce the risks of the disease.

But the latest study, published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, suggests it may be just as important to build up muscle strength.

A team of experts, led by scientists from Sweden's Karolinska Institute, tracked the lifestyles of 8,677 men aged between 20 and 82 for more than two decades.

Each volunteer had regular medical check ups that included tests of their muscular strength.

Between 1980 and 2003, researchers monitored how many developed cancer and subsequently died from it.

The results showed men who regularly worked out with weights and had the highest muscle strength were between 30 and 40 per cent less likely to lose their life to a deadly tumour.

Even among volunteers who had excess tummy fat or a high body mass index, regular weight training seemed to have a protective effect.

In a report on their findings the researchers stressed keeping a healthy weight was still crucial for avoiding premature death.

But they added: "In the light of these results, it is equally important t to maintain healthy muscular strength levels.

"It's possible to reduce cancer mortality rates in men by promoting resistance training involving the major muscle groups at least two days a week."

A spokesman for Cancer Research UK said resistance exercise might have some benefit but it was more important to regularly do some cardiac exercise.

Health information officer Jessica Harris said: "There's no need to become a body builder. Just 30 minutes of moderate exercise five times a week that leaves you warm and slightly out of breath can have a positive effect."

Last edited:
^ Lifting doesn't prevent cancer from happening though. Cut the risks? Sure. But so does not smoking cigs, etc

Last edited:
dont believe the hype of these doctors and articles on the net/news man, dont mean jack

anyone can get cancer, 100% healthy or not.

diet first and foremost

if you already know how to lift, show him a few workouts to do as a beginner
Thx man, was thinking about that diet thing first as well. Homie likes to chill at Chinese buffets...smh. As for lifting, I was thinking circuit weights 1st. He has no athletic bone but can throw them hands, so I was thinking the heavy bag and bike

It's like driving safely. Driving safely isn't going to 100 percent prevent you from getting into an accident. Doesn't mean you shouldn't drive safely.

Lifting weights by itself isn't going to prevent cancer, but those who lift weights are also more likely to eat right, not smoke, do cardio, have lower body fat percentage, have less stress, (all things that limit cancer risk) which is why there's a high correlation between lifting weights and low cancer rate.

There's a difference between correlation and causation.

There's a high correlation between high temperatures and shark bites. Doesn't mean high temperatures cause shark bites. It's because people go swimming more when temperatures are high.

What do you guys think about this :
•This is the upper body day of my lower/upper split
•Please feel free to ADD anything I'm missing
•goal: mass, currently bulking till June
thanks nt
Pull-Ups
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.
Barbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.
Seated Cable Row
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.
Dumbbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.
Dumbbell Flyes
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
1 minute rest between sets.
Barbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Skull Crushers
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

I had to youtube this Jason Genova character.... maaaaan 

lol what's more annoying is his hypeman filming this thing 

What's your point?

As long as I push myself I don't care what weight I use. Generally I increase my weight ever set though

My point is your not getting much from doing 10lbs for 50 reps.

You lazy ***** talking down on the pyramid exercise. Push yourself!!

If that's too many reps for you then stick to your 5x5 workouts you skinny fat bastards. Good luck with girls this summer.

If your in the gym just to impress girls then your already losing. I love doing drop sets but I actually do them with men size weight.

Just because your getting a pump doesn't mean your growing.

man deadlifts make my body feel some typa weigh..my entire body went numb this morning after my sets...not something I can say for any other workout
Friend of mine :x  

Touch and go deadlifts lol. Using the momentum off the floor to lift it.

Hurt my back today Doing 4x8 on squats today. Did 225 and for some reason back just started hurting.

Been squatting for years and my form is great. Do t know what caused it.

Only thing I can think of is I did deadlifts yesterday evening.

I squat 2x a week and it was hypertrophy day of my PPL routine.

Hope I'm good to go tomorrow. My belt can't get here soon enough.

look up brad castleberry. dude is a beast.

and bradley martin. both guys are straight savage and functional.

i follow both on ig

Hurt my back today Doing 4x8 on squats today. Did 225 and for some reason back just started hurting.

Been squatting for years and my form is great. Do t know what caused it.

Only thing I can think of is I did deadlifts yesterday evening.

I squat 2x a week and it was hypertrophy day of my PPL routine.

Hope I'm good to go tomorrow. My belt can't get here soon enough.

Maybe your butt winks when you squat. It happens when the pelvis rotates posterior and produces lumbar curvature. Usually an indicator of tight or tired hamstrings. Which makes sense since you deadlifted yesterday.

If butt wink is the problem I'd recommend using foam rollers for your hamstrings and take extra care to stretch it before your squatting routine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom