STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

A lot of people don't hold the contraction either. I feel like that's a major part of the movement as well as a controlled eccentric. Dropping your shoulders after the peak seems like a good way to develop problems too.
See this a lot too. And a ton of people roll their shoulders instead of actually shrugging. I don't think they know the difference.

Besides obvious rest, is there anything to do for hand pain due to excess stretching of the fingers when catching the clean? Figured I tweaked em when I dropped a clean last week. Only feel discomfort when catching a clean or front squatting. Been squeezing the s%#+ outta this tennis ball.

Day 1 is done. I'm back in it. Started with the easiest day: chest. I did two sets with 225 lbs on bench, one set of 12 and one of 10 and then dropped the weight down to 185 lbs for a last set. That tenth rep on set two was all struggle. :smh:

Then I did three more chest exercises: combination incline fly/chest press with dumb bells, high pulley chest fly and low pulley chest fly. For taking 8-10 solid months off, it didn't feel too bad.

The rest of the week, I'll dedicate to a day each to back, arms, legs and abs. I figure after a month of 5 days/week like that I'll be in decent shape and ready to step things up in month two.

I'm also doing an evening run 3 days a week for the first month. Gonna keep posting in here so y'all can shame me if I fall off. :lol:

Last edited:
I can't do pull ups. What exercises can I do to get strong enough for pull ups?
-Static holds at the top of the pull up for a few sets

-Eccentric pull ups where you jump up to the midway point of the pull up phase (chin above the bar basically) and lower yourself down as slow as you possibly can for a few sets.

-Heavy on the lat-pulldown with proper form.

-Switch to an easier grip to start off, chin up (under hand) or neutral grip. 

-But if your slightly overweight the obvious answer is to lose some body fat.  

Last edited:
^

What he said.

And it may sound obvious, but just do them. Set a goal of say 25, and it doesnt matter how many seys it takes, just get to 25. Do the jump into a half pullup if you have to like he suggested. Theres a lot of people who can pull heavy on back day and cant do a decent amount of pullups, and these are not huge guy. Its cause they dont do them enough.

I can't do pull ups. What exercises can I do to get strong enough for pull ups?

Hanging, bodyweight rows, dumbbell rows (focus on activation and form), and eccentric (negative) chin ups. Build up to 30 second eccentric chin ups with full ROM (all the way to passive/dead hang). Build up to passive hangs for 60 second sets.

Neutral grip is easier than chin ups (supinated), which are easier than pull ups (pronated). Train the easiest grip until you can manage a chin up. I don't like the lat pulldown.

Got flu or upper respiratory infection. Still wanna get a workout in though, sweat it out.

Word, throat was bothering me the weekend now im actually sick, left work early today cause I didnt wanna infect anyone else.

Thinking of poppin a Tylenol, nap, and do a late workout later. Problem is, its leg/shoulder day and that might be too much...

Hoodie and sweats.

Trimming up nicely.

Just do pullups with bands for assistance, and as you get stronger, take off a band.

Let's say you start off with a black band and a blue/red

As you get stronger, advance to a black and blue band,

then

take off the blue

then instead of using the black band, use two blues

then

blue/red

then just the blue

then just the red

then last but not least, voila, your first unassisted pullup

I have never done dumbell trap work.

Only dumbell trap work I do is seated bent over flys.

Barbell for trap work - wide grip, close grip, behind the back grip and watch them grow to the heavens above.
Funny...I dont do bb trap work, only db and I have great traps. I read some where that db trap work with your hands facing your body is far superior than bb trap work... cant recall where tho, t nation probably.

Funny...I dont do bb trap work, only db and I have great traps. I read some where that db trap work with your hands facing your body is far superior than bb trap work... cant recall where tho, t nation probably.

I have a good set of traps

Didn't get there by doing dumbell work..

Edit because this is NT.

Heaviest:

Lightest:

You want big traps..

Get in the rack and get them..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom