Stem Cell research Cures Blindness all within one month NOW WITH VIDEO

Soure: http://gizmodo.com/5277456/stem-cell-contact-lenses-cure-blindness-in-less-than-a-month

Here's something that people with poor or no vision will be excited about: three patients had their sight restored in less than a month by contact lenses cultured with stem cells.
All three patients were blind in one eye. The researchers extracted stem cells from their working eyes, cultured them in contact lenses for 10 days, and gave them to the patients. Within 10 to 14 days of use, the stem cells began recolonizing and repairing the cornea.
Of the three patients, two were legally blind but can now read the big letters on an eye chart, while the third, who could previously read the top few rows of the chart, is now able to pass the vision test for a driver's license. The research team isn't getting over excited, still remaining unsure as to whether the correction will remain stable, but the fact that the three test patients have been enjoying restored sight for the last 18 months is definitely encouraging. The simplicity and low cost of the technique also means that it could be carried out in poorer countries.

This is incredible and potentially game changing. It's stuff like this that makes you realize that we live in the future, and it's awesome.

Ok thisis such greatness to people who are blind and those who are at risk of becoming due the line due to POOR EYESIGHT (
smh.gif
me) .

Too bad it won't go main stream because stem cell research is "evil" and means that we're "playing god"

get with the times people.

This sounds like a huge break through. I wonder if this means that people could potentially never go blind or have very poor eyesight when they're old. Iwonder how expensive this procedure is.

pimp.gif
I just hope funding continues after Obama is out of office. It would bea shame to have another President pass a ban like Bush.

Interesting...

Mature stem cells did the trick, not embryonic stem cells...

I just hope funding continues after Obama is out of office. It would be a shame to have another President pass a ban like Bush.

Bush banned EMBRYONIC stem cells.

storys like these make me revise my abortion/potential life stance ... if something is born in a petri dish and is able to help someone who was once blind seethe world, i cant be against that ...

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein

storys like these make me revise my abortion/potential life stance ... if something is born in a petri dish and is able to help someone who was once blind see the world, i cant be against that ...

Read again

no i understand that this wasnt embryotic ... but IF we COULD potentially do something similar by creating remidies in a petri dish, then i just cant disagree... i know its somewhat of a contradiction, but i just cant be completely against it ...

google carlos boozers story and what they did ... i just couldnt get mad at the dude for saving his childrens life through stem cells ...

Why are people attacking religion in this thread? Religion is AGAINST embryonic stem cells like aborting fetuses for the benefit of science, this was done bymature stem cells.

I don't believe in religion either, but damn.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Why are people attacking religion in this thread? Religion is AGAINST embryonic stem cells like aborting fetuses for the benefit of science, this was done by mature stem cells.

I don't believe in religion either, but damn.

i think you may have emphasized the wrong word....
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom