Steve Jobs: Flash Is No Longer Necessary

Source: Mashable

Steve Jobs has just posted a long open letter on Flash, listing all the reasons why Apple has decided not to support it on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

The letter is a clear, sober, in-depth view in all of Flash’s defects from Apple’s point of view, and while we’re sure it will be dissected over and over again in the upcoming days (especially the part about Flash not being open), you have to admire its frankness.

In short, Steve Jobs claims Flash drains the battery of mobile devices; it’s not very good for multi-touch operation; and its performance, reliability and security are all shoddy. It’s also a proprietary system, and while Jobs admits that their mobile OS is also proprietary, he claims that web standards should be open, like HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.

Most importantly Apple doesn’t want “a third party layer of software [to] come between the platform and the developer.

how arrogant of him to think that apple can arm twist da entire internet because HE FEELS its not necessary...

*laughs and watches wordstarhiphop on my nexus one via skyfire*

He can make any excuse he wants, but he needs to quit being stubborn and realize their is a demand for Flash. I could see if no one wanted it but obviously everyone does so why not just allow it on your products? Obviously Adobe was willing to work with Apple but Jobs started insulting them and burned bridges because he's too stubborn to admit a fault in his product.

And this is coming from an avid iPhone supporter, Jobs get a damn blog and give the consumer what they want. No one cares about HTML5 until it becomes the standard on the internet, and as of right now and for several years to come it won't be, Flash still is.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

how arrogant of him to think that apple can arm twist da entire internet because HE FEELS its not necessary...

Why are you always the first person to pop up when apple is even mentioned?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

bash all you want

his logic is sound

his reasons valid
 Along with eating additional bandwidth draining the battery was one of the main issues with the current flash. I am only playing devils advocate here bet Adobe has promise a lite version of flash that is more compatible with mobile devices with nothing released as of yet. Even Adobe Air is still in its beta phase for the most part (last I checked). 

I am only here to promote discussion, but this doesn't really breathe arrogance, but to me it promotes change and movement. Flash on Mobile devices is proving to be a problem. Competitors who try to use it are running into issues when it comes to comparing to the iPad. They can't throw in a full fledge Flash support and get the same battery life. The Windows 7 HP Slate*** is scrapped as well as the Courier now (This one one of the reasons)

*** The HP Slate is delayed due to the fact that Windows 7 OS is not fit to run on a tablet and HP just purchased Palm the makers of Web OS
------------- http://www.theinquirer.ne...-delayed----------------

Discuss

Another thing I am noticing is that everyones argument when it comes to the tablet (besides those who support or acknowledge the iPad) is coming up far short. I mean the Courier was a long shot, but HP dropping MS when Web OS became available sort of proves that creating he software for a tablet is a lot more difficult than just adding Flash. Not to mention to mention HP using Web OS can follow suit the way Apple has. Own your hardware/software/etc and create a superpower of technology.

I hope the Slate comes to light and makes Web OS a big OS again. Not web OS is one of the supports of HTML 5 and is on the board of directors for it. People want to knock it, but I am telling you HTML 5 is the future and will bring a better experience to mobile devices. I am not saying this as a fanboy, but as someone who is about to dedicate time to learn how to write and create using HTML 5.

bash all you want

his logic is sound

his reasons valid
agreed, he has to coddle his customers,
they're not ready for options, customization, vulnerabilities, and still not ready for multitasking

*laughs and watches on my ipod touch via safari*

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

bash all you want

his logic is sound

his reasons valid
they're not ready for options, custom-ability, vulnerabilities, and still not ready for multitasking

if HTML 5 ever does get off da ground, which will be YEARS and YEARS later...da iPad won't even be relevant anymore.
laugh.gif

apple sucks, thankfully people are figuring that out slowly but surely.

[h4]Source: Engadget[/h4]
[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]
[h4]Microsoft weighs in: 'the future of the web is HTML5[/h4]
Where Steve Jobs leads, Microsoft follows -- how's that for shaking up the hornet's nest? It's said in jest, of course, but we've just come across a post from the General Manager for Internet Explorer, Dean Hachamovitch, and the perspective expressed by him on the subject of web content delivery broadly agrees with the essay penned by Jobs yesterday on the very same subject. Echoing the Apple CEO's words, Hachamovitch describes HTML5 as "the future of the web," praising it for allowing content to be played without the need for plug-ins and with native hardware acceleration (in both Windows 7 and Mac OS X). He goes on to identify H.264 as the best video codec for the job -- so much so that it'll be the only one supported in IE9's HTML5 implementation -- before turning to the dreaded subject of Flash. 

This is where it gets good, because he literally repeats one of Jobs' six pillars of Flash hate: "reliability, security, and performance" are not as good as Microsoft would like them. Where Hachamovitch diverges from Apple's messiah, however, is in describing Flash as an important part of "a good consumer experience on today's web," primarily because it's difficult for the typical consumer to access Flash-free content. Still, it's got to be depressing for Adobe's crew when the best thing either of the two biggest players in tech has to say about your wares is that they're ubiquitous. Wonder how Shantanu Narayen is gonna try and spin this one.
[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]LETS SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH NOW!!!![/font]

Good luck carrying your charger in your skinny jeans everywhere you go.

I hate flash. Keep it off my phone. If I want to do anything Flash related that's what my netbook is for.

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]
Where Steve Jobs leads, Microsoft follows -- how's that for shaking up the hornet's nest? It's said in jest, of course, but we've just come across a post from the General Manager for Internet Explorer, Dean Hachamovitch, and the perspective expressed by him on the subject of web content delivery broadly agrees with the essay penned by Jobs yesterday on the very same subject. Echoing the Apple CEO's words, Hachamovitch describes HTML5 as "the future of the web," praising it for allowing content to be played without the need for plug-ins and with native hardware acceleration (in both Windows 7 and Mac OS X). He goes on to identify H.264 as the best video codec for the job -- so much so that it'll be the only one supported in IE9's HTML5 implementation -- before turning to the dreaded subject of Flash. 

This is where it gets good, because he literally repeats one of Jobs' six pillars of Flash hate: "reliability, security, and performance" are not as good as Microsoft would like them. Where Hachamovitch diverges from Apple's messiah, however, is in describing Flash as an important part of "a good consumer experience on today's web," primarily because it's difficult for the typical consumer to access Flash-free content. Still, it's got to be depressing for Adobe's crew when the best thing either of the two biggest players in tech has to say about your wares is that they're ubiquitous. Wonder how Shantanu Narayen is gonna try and spin this one.
[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

yeah.... like i said, in 5-6 years da ipad isn't even gonna matter.
laugh.gif

Apple doesn't support products that spark direct competition to its attempt to monetize content...

ask Steve Jobs why doesn't he support blu-ray?

Steve Jobs email hints at no upcoming Blu-Ray support on the Mac
A recent email from Apple CEO Steve Jobs implies that Blu-Ray support on the Mac isn't on the horizon.
By Yoni Heisler on Sat, 04/17/10 - 7:35pm.
Newsletter Signup

* Tweet This
* Email this page
* Comments (52)
* Print

Digg
Slashdot
Fark
Stumble
Reddit
MIXX
del.icio.us
Newsvine
Technorati
Facebook
Buzz up!
Tweet This
Close

During an informal Q&A session in October of 2008, Steve Jobs explained why Apple wasn't interested in supporting Blu-Ray on the Mac.

"Blu-ray is a bag of hurt," Jobs famously declared, "I don’t mean from the consumer point of view. It’s great to watch movies, but the licensing is so complex. We’re waiting until things settle down, and waiting until Blu-ray takes off before we burden our customers with the cost of licensing."

But then something funny happened. Licensing did become easier.

In February of 2009, a number of companies involved in Blu-Ray licensing such as Sony and Panasonic announced that companies looking to manufacture Blu-Ray devices would now only need to pay one license, a notable achievment given that there are about 18 separate companies who currently hold Blu-Ray patents.

The new, and decidedly not complex, procedure for traversing through Blu-Ray licensing issues prompted many to wonder if Apple would, in fact, support the technology in upcoming Macs. Now, nearly 15 months later, it appears that Apple still has no plans to equip any of its Macs with Blu-Ray players.

Earlier this week, a reader of the Mac website 9to5Mac sent Apple CEO Steve Jobs an email asking about the possibility for Mac Blu-Ray support down the line.

The email reads,

Steve,

I, as well as many people I know, have HD camcorders now. The mac has been a wonderful platform for working with HD video of family and friends and special events. However, there doesn't seem to be a good solution to distribute that HD video to family and friends while retaining high quality. I was wondering if you have any plans for Blu-ray in the mac lineup for those of us who want to be able to share our HD video.

A fair question, and Jobs' response, which is expectedly short, implies that Blu-ray isn't on Apple's agenda.

Jobs response simply reads, "YouTube now supports HD video."

Okay then, I'll take that as a no.

While Apple may very well be trying to keep costs down by keeping Blu-Ray out of the picture, you have to wonder if Apple's decision is also rooted in their interest to leverage iTunes as a means for users to access HD content. To be fair, though, it's not as if Blu-Ray sales have been skyrocketing and users have been demanding Blu-Ray enabled Macs en masse. On the contrary, Blu-Ray sales have been particularly disappointing ever since the demise of HD-DVD. Blu-Ray on the Mac may happen eventually, but don't expect to see it anytime soon.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60208

bash all you want

his logic is sound

his reasons valid
Yeah but flash is part of the infrastructure right now, so you have to be accommodating of that.

It's like driving a hydrogen fuel cell car when there are no fueling stations.  Yeah, it's a better alternative to gasoline, but the infrastructure makes it a burden.

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

laugh.gif

Why you keep saying that?
You dont see future generations coming out?
Sorta like the Sidekick 1 all the way to the Siedekick 2009.

Flash as an important part of "a good consumer experience on today's web," primarily because it's difficult for the typical consumer to access Flash-free content
pretty sound to me.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

bash all you want

his logic is sound

his reasons valid
they're not ready for options, custom-ability, vulnerabilities, and still not ready for multitasking

apple sucks, thankfully people are figuring that out slowly but surely.
They haven't figured out how to stop buying it apparently. 

Just keep it real...you dont want flash so people will have to buy content in the app store.
if it had flash why would I buy a $1-$2 video/song when I can just youtube it?

Nters just hate to see a brotha like Steve Jobs shining.
Step your multi millionaire game up.

If you hate apple then thats cool, you live in a society where you have options buy why is apple still on the forefront of your brain waves?

Originally Posted by Diego

ninjahood wrote:

rowenarrow wrote:

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

[font=georgia, serif]
[/font]

laugh.gif

Why you keep saying that?
You dont see future generations coming out?
Sorta like the Sidekick 1 all the way to the Siedekick 2009.

its a giant ipod touch designed to monetize content and generate a revenue stream that is currently free everywhere....yeah i don't think that gonna go

far at all when you got open sourced options and actual PCS getting alot better too.

Back
Top Bottom