Steve Prefontaine

Does anyone "in the know", know if Nike has anything planned to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Steve Prefontaine's death on the 30th?

For those who don't know Pre, I'd do some research. He IS what Nike was, is and will be. He is arguably the single most important athlete Nike ever had.
in the sneaker game, hindsight is 20/20 and we're all millionaires.

thanks for your continued support of niketalk.

krvanch@niketalk.com

Agreed...Pre, Bill and Phil are the heart of the company...but I don't know of any commemoration. I would imagine they wll.
"So many times it happens too fast.
You trade your passion for glory.

Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past.
You must fight just to keep them alive."

They thought of an on campus thing at U of O, but situations there always lead to gaung fests, riots, burning buds and cars...tree huggin rally's, ugly lesbi's dykin out all over town...so they just scrapped the idea all-together and just gonna put out a company flyer...

:rofl:
roll.gif

GO BEAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guess is that something will be done at the Nike Prefontaine Classic in Eugene on June 4th, which is the biggest and best annual world-class invitational track meet in the United States, and televised on NBC. For many of Nike's contracted track athletes, this is as close to a mandatory appearance/competition for the company.

Traditionally, the winner of the featured men's distance race of the meet receives a trophy of Pre's likeness. Pre's parents always make the trip from Coos Bay just for this meet, and are always greeted with an ovation.

I've attended this meet numerous times, and I still get the chills when the public address announcer talks about Pre before the distance race.

You may want to check out www.preclassic.com for more info.

Every athlete who has ever received free shoes and/or an endorsement deal from Nike should thank Steve Prefontaine, whether you're some post-collegiate runner on a shoe and apparel deal (no $ unless you make a national team) while working part-time and eating Top Ramen 5x/week, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, or LeBron James.

No Nike athlete, past, present or future, will ever be as revered as Pre. Without Pre, there is no Nike.

correct me if im wrong but prefontaine is the first athlete to be sponsored by nike right? and he was the one who ran 200-10000m in track events? From what i remember.. he died around late may? and what toronto is doing is Run TO which is kind of like a commemoration to him... thats what i think though....and from what i remember.. correct me if im wrong though...

krvanch

Thanks for posting a thread on Steve Prefontaine. I can not express the importance enough of him to Nike. Not to mention himself, and his character, arguably the best runner ever.

Here is a lot of great info from patchdoggydogg
Quote:
My guess is that something will be done at the Nike Prefontaine Classic in Eugene on June 4th, which is the biggest and best annual world-class invitational track meet in the United States, and televised on NBC. For many of Nike's contracted track athletes, this is as close to a mandatory appearance/competition for the company.

Traditionally, the winner of the featured men's distance race of the meet receives a trophy of Pre's likeness. Pre's parents always make the trip from Coos Bay just for this meet, and are always greeted with an ovation.

I've attended this meet numerous times, and I still get the chills when the public address announcer talks about Pre before the distance race.

You may want to check out www.preclassic.com for more info.

Every athlete who has ever received free shoes and/or an endorsement deal from Nike should thank Steve Prefontaine, whether you're some post-collegiate runner on a shoe and apparel deal (no $ unless you make a national team) while working part-time and eating Top Ramen 5x/week, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, or LeBron James.

No Nike athlete, past, present or future, will ever be as revered as Pre. Without Pre, there is no Nike.
:D
happy.gif

He could have been the best runner ever, but unfortunately his life was cut short. I give him the best, era for era, American distance runner ever. The thing about Pre that was cool was he was himself. He was the total opposite of what the "runner type" is. He had the mentality of a sprinter and desire that few people have. Nike was built around being great and being a rebel. That's why someone like pre, MJ and the young Andre Agassi fit into what makes Nike, Nike. Nike started off as a running company, so without pre, like patchdog was saying, it is hard to imagine Nike being what it is today.

Quote:
They thought of an on campus thing at U of O, but situations there always lead to gaung fests, riots, burning buds and cars...tree huggin rally's, ugly lesbi's dykin out all over town...so they just scrapped the idea all-together and just gonna put out a company flyer...
better than letting your football players steal sheep while high huh?
go ducks!!!!!!!!!!
you aint got to tell me you're feelin this ish because i know what im wearin i know im killin this ish

^ :wow:
eek.gif
:wow:
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

And Jim...you left out the frisbees... :wink:
wink.gif

Well guys...I haven't gotten the official word yet but I'm as close as it gets to being hired at the Nike Store here in Eugene.

There's a huge event planned in honor of Pre and in correlation with the grand opening of the Hayward Track renovation.

I'll be the tall white guy in OG Trunners probably racing around helping people out.

Ask for Nick.

:D
happy.gif

[/center]

what position at nike??? i applied for one like months ago and ive called dozens of times and i get the same ol song and dance. "we haven't gotten an applicant pool we feel confident enough with blah blah blah"
you aint got to tell me you're feelin this ish because i know what im wearin i know im killin this ish

:pimp:
pimp.gif

I've been trying honestly a year now and finally gotten an interview, so don't feel bad.

There's 100's of people that applied though.
s...55​

i need something else and i really want that job and i know im more than qualified ive been in retail for almost 7 years and a department head or manager for almost half of that give me a freakin shot nike!

There are some Air Epic samples that I've seen with Pre logo embroidered on the heel counter. I'll post pics later.

Quote:
ive been in retail for almost 7 years and a department head or manager for almost half of that
Woah you're way overqualified for part time sales associate. If that's the opening you're talkin about.

Or are you talkin about the In-Store Lead? You sound perfectly qualified for that. Have you gone in person and introduced yourself? I did that FOREVER... :wow:
eek.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Gavin, Micah, and Ryan are all super nice guys. Try and go in so and sell yourself so they know you away from a one page resume and an online application. Best of luck man!
s...55​

yeah i mean the lead position i actually called again today and talked to micah they are in no way in a hurry to fill this position its been open since christmas. good thing i have a job already because if i was out of work this would suck

Billy and King......NO KIDNEY PUNCHES.......damn that hurt.....Ill be back with bigger, badder, and stronger.....

Basically. :lol:
laugh.gif

And I got officially hired today. :wow:
eek.gif

You see the Oregon summit post in General guys?
s...55​

If you basically are going to IM one another about a retail sales position in a thread that i have created to find out real information, please do it somewhere else.
in the sneaker game, hindsight is 20/20 and we're all millionaires.

thanks for your continued support of niketalk.

krvanch@niketalk.com

As the admin., you're welcome to delete any post you deem unnecessary and off topic. Sorry for the off-subject discussion.

Back to the topic, who all is gonna be in town for the associated events and all?
[/center]

Quote:

well put and exactly what i've been thinking...but ot would be a shame if the did nothing...
"I don't give a (expletive) about no trade rumors. As long as somebody CTC, at the end of the day I'm with them For all you that don't know what CTC means, that's Cut The Check.

wow looks like we were keeping this thread alive congrats on the job nick i kinda heard from micah last week

Back
Top Bottom