Story of the Nike Air Slant from '96?

The Nike Air Slants are my all time favorite Nikes, especially the sick colorway in my avatar that's even sicker than any other colorway released.What's the story behind this shoe? Does anyone know who designed it?

I remember them being pretty popular around '96 and several people at school had them and one guy in my class had the colorway I have in my avatar and Iwanted those really badly. I had only been able to find the black/white ones that where much more plain but still pretty sick. I only found the ones I have nowon eBay several years ago.

201dvc.jpg

I know they were retroed a few years ago but only in the more plain colorways and they are fairly different than the originals, and they didn't retro thecolorway I have.

I'm gonna keep the pair I have for the rest of my life for sure. I think many people really like these because even though they are from '96 I seepeople wearing the originals to this day maybe once a year.

Thanks for any info on these shoes.

Personally I don't really like the shoes, but I do know they were INSANELY popular as EVERYONE had these shoes. Kids, Moms, Dads, Grandparents etc. Notonly that but I remember seeing these steadily on peoples feet for at least a good 3-4 years.

Not too much to say even though I was big into shoes around the time those released (mid/late 90s) & all I can recall Nike was doing things big in terms ofplaying off the "tough/rugged cross training shoes that can withstand anything" line. Most shoes around that time X-Training wise had some cleatinspiration wih the full grain upper, chunky midsole, etc. Think Air Barrage, etc.

Just my honest opinion but I did not really feel the Air Slant myself but yep it did make it onto a lot of people's feet. Then the wheels fell off thewhole football/crosstraining thing & Nike started pumping out canvas takedowns but at least they're back to watering their retro money tree

this is true......around the time these were released is when Nike was droppin serious heat. I as well didn't really like the slants mainly because of thefront rubber piece that came up on the toe. That peeled off pretty easy w/ lots of wear (well @ least on my friends pair). But yhea.....I'm waitin on theair barrages tho.....most serious cross trainers since the huarache trainer

i'm pretty sure the pair in your pic was the Air Slant Mid, while there was also the regular lower cut Air Slant (not sure if it was called the Air SlantLo, and the mid was the Air Slant)

you probably already knew this, but i thought i'd give you "more info" just in case you didn't

The Slant was pretty popular because i was a durable shoe at a decent pricepoint. I personally liked the Air Gridstar a little better which came out just abit after the slants.

Ive got those, friend of mine back in hs had those too, I wear em occasionally. Nike still makes the b/w slant lows I think, why im not sure. Always good tosee someone that appreciates the 90's nike turf shoes as much as I do tho! Since the midsoles on these are made of phylon the wearable life is greatlyextended for you, save only having to reglue parts that may come loose over time, but thats not a big deal. Take better pics in daylight for the wdywtd postimo, that thread needs stuff like this.

Heres both the colorways I have. There are a couple more, but these are the best.

Back
Top Bottom