Studio Apartments: Yay or Nay?

s0lefunk

Supporter
Title says it all.  I'm far from the point of getting my own place but it never hurts to start looking.  I'm seeing studios go for hundreds cheaper than traditional 1-bedrooms but I wonder if the no walls thing would get to me.  Does anyone here have a studio or any input?  Pics of you setup if possible

nay. if you cook, everything in the room is going to smell like what you just made for dinner.

if its alot cheaper than a 1 br, go for it. only difference is theres no walls. its kinda nice actually.

look at studios, they are not all a square room. when i moved back to the city, i wasn't looking at studios. the real estate agent needed to stop by this building and i ended up taking a look at the studio and it was amazing. living here now.

i say nay.  when you have company do you want everyone right there in your bedroom? 

When I was looking at one bedrooms I checked out some studios as well. I found a nice one that was all-inclusive for a good price, but it didn't have a full kitchen, just a couple of burners but no oven, so that killed the deal.

If you're living there alone the no walls shouldn't be that big of a problem, look into getting some bookcases, room dividers, large dressers/closets, that would help separate your living room from bedroom or kitchen. Certain items could serve a dual purpose as well, a dining room table could easily be your desk or workstation. I wouldn't recommend using a futon as your couch and bed, but if you're cramped on space you could look into that, or a convertible sofa.

Look online at apartment design websites, look through an IKEA catalog, try to get ideas about how to use your space efficiently and maximize what you have.

the only way i would say no to a studio is if i was planning on raising a family there...im only 21 so starting a family is the last thing on my mind

Depends on the city.

If you're in a major metro area, then consider it. Odds are that you'll be out most of the time, esp if the city has something to offer.

If your city is lacking, then I'd say at least a 1-bed since you'll be home more.

Studios can be great, esp for simplifying your lifestyle. It'll make you prioritize what's truly necessary, and will motivate you to get rid of crap that you've been holding onto for years.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I'm looking into one in the DMV area.

I don't mind living alone or the no walls.
Im in the DMV too.  I'll be moving back home once I'm done with school in July.  Hopefully I'll find a job in DC so I'm tryin to find a place within walking or short driving distance from a metro station.  But the prices for places in the better parts of PG and MoCo are a little rich for my blood but I refuse to live in the hood just save a couple bucks..

i had a sweet one in DC when i lived there for a year. in general tho it's fine if you live alone...if you have a girl friend or are always having people over, it would suck.

Are walls really that expensive? I've always wondered..

Maybe you could buy some cubicle units
nerd.gif

Depends on the size, and how it looks, and of course price. Like down here they have apartments still considered "Studio" but that have walls. I don't know why. For example, this studio isn't bad. Like dude said, cop a book case or room dividers or even use your own dressers to create a wall between living and sleeping room in this case.
398401.f00.gif

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I'm looking into one in the DMV area.

I don't mind living alone or the no walls.
Im in the DMV too.  I'll be moving back home once I'm done with school in July.  Hopefully I'll find a job in DC so I'm tryin to find a place within walking or short driving distance from a metro station.  But the prices for places in the better parts of PG and MoCo are a little rich for my blood but I refuse to live in the hood just save a couple bucks..
Exactly. I'm looking into the Suitland area. Not the best of places, but def. not the worst.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

i had a sweet one in DC when i lived there for a year. in general tho it's fine if you live alone...if you have a girl friend or are always having people over, it would suck.
Where in DC?

I couldn't do it. I could see it now, my stuff all over the place.

And then tryna have my girl climb up a ladder to get to the bed? That's not going to happen.

depends on the square footage. I've lived in a 473 sqft studio, and once twice the size. You can make it work... Personally I'm all for industrial open space living, however thats a personal taste and probably aint in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom