Suns vs Magic NBATV Fan Night - Shaq is in the house he built, not impressed with D12.

smh.gif
at Shaq floppin

Nash influencing the Diesel
alien.gif
. Don't fall to peer pressure Shaq.

come on. ya'll get the point.

1st tier = wilt, russell, kareem, shaq, hakeem, maybe david robinson

2nd tier = ewing, zo, mutombo, yao, dwight...

Originally Posted by StrongMind3

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

Shaq is right though. He has every right to be cocky and whatevr.

Can't imagine Dwight avging 30pts a game.

Dwight is more of a defensive player.

His offensive impact isn't that serious to be honest.

Dwight is a good guy and all that, but come on now.

Shaq is Shaq. Dwight is on Ewing's level.. 2nd tier elite center.

I don't think he has 'every right' because Dwight never threw a diss at Shaq. In fact, it seems he's always said he looked up to Shaq and admired him as a kid, etc...
2nd tier elite center? (and what does that mean anyway? either you're an elite center or you're not) in today's league? no sir i do not agree....

his defense is what makes him the number one big man in the game today.

dwight never stated "im superman, shaq needs to recognize that he has to pass the torch to me". dwight never declared himself as superman to begin with, the media and color comentators in orlando were the ones to don that name upon him. shaq just doesnt like the fact that his reign as the number one big man in the league is gone.

dont get me wrong shaq is still dominant force to be recognized, but he needs to at least share some respect for the young man the same way dwight has for him.

110-83008114MC009_Sprite_Slam_D.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

but honestly though, i feel bad for dwight.
shaq was kinda mean. but it's just shaq's personality.
shaq is used to being no.1 and doesn't like being 2nd.
shaq will always have that "i'm better than you" mentality to everyone minus mj and bill russell.
seems like those 2 players are the only players he respect
laugh.gif

come on. ya'll get the point.

1st tier = wilt, russell, kareem, shaq, hakeem, maybe david robinson

2nd tier = ewing, zo, mutombo, yao, dwight...
Agreed...no disrespect to the 2nd tier, who are great in their own right...but their is a difference

PATRICK EWING 2nd Tier?????????
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NT is out of it's m'er effing mind.

This statement alone has now caused NT Sports and Training to lose its E-accreditation indefinitely.

An NBA Top 50 EVER player and Top 10 Center EVER being 2nd Tier. Most of the posters in here weren't even watchinghoops when he was doing his thing.

At his peak...I don't see how Dwight can't ever average 30 per game. He'd damn near be up there now if he didn't miss so many free throws pergame

Dwight can't score on Shaq
No one can if he's going to bear hug you every time you make a move

[h1]Dwight Won't Enter Wars Of Words WithShaq[/h1]

Mar 04, 2009 12:36 PM EST

Howard_Dwight_orl.jpg
Shaquille O'Neal has madenumerous comments lately discrediting the play of Dwight Howard, who's becoming an NBA superstar in the same town that Shaq did nearly twenty yearsago.

No matter what O'Neal says, however, Howard won't enter into a war of words with the future Hall of Famer.

"I really think he was just trying to get in my head with a lot of the things that he said," Howard commented. "Irespect my elders, you know, so I'm not going to get into a war of words with anybody, there's just no need for it. I just go out there and playbasketball."

Howard is also trying hard not to let controversy hurt the way he thinks about O'Neal as a basketball player.

"I've always admired him as a player. I looked up to him and some of the stuff he has done on and off the court," Howard said.

After the game, an Orlando win over Phoenix, O'Neal kept the pressure on Howard and the Magic with some pointed comments.

"I'm not the type to talk trash," O'Neal said before taking some subtle shots. "I played him [Howard]straight up the whole game, while he doubled ... I'm so far ahead of people that I don't even worry about my stats anymore."

"I'm too old to be trying to outscore 18-year-olds," O'Neal continued, referring to Howard.

smh.gif
At Shaq goin to the"Phoenix Suns way to play defense" art of flopping. Pathetic.

Shaq needs to leave Dwight alone. Especially after throwing himself backwards. I don't ever wanna hear Shaq pick on D12 again.
If Dwight did that move, Shaq woulda retired he'd be so mad.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

I'm too old to be trying to outscore 18-year-olds," O'Neal continued, referring to Howard.
laugh.gif

Damn Shaq floppin now though? smh

yeah, when Shaq flopped i just said to myself "
tired.gif
just retire right now..."

you are a 37-year old, 7'2 300+ lb man and you're flopping on the floor like a fish? just retire...
smh.gif

I didnt have the TV volume on, but did Shaq just Flop in that game ?

Im hopin he tripped, cuz that was some Vlade *#**...

smh.gif
pat ewing a 2nd tier center.... sheeesh

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This statement alone has now caused NT Sports and Training to lose its E-accreditation indefinitely.

An NBA Top 50 EVER player and Top 10 Center EVER being 2nd Tier. Most of the posters in here weren't even watching hoops when he was doing his thing.

Idk, I am 50 50 on that, Patrick Ewing did do his thing, but he could never come out on top in those classic 90's bulls/knicks playoffs, he did go to thefinals twice but neve won, all the people the org poster stated in the 1st tier group did have rings, and Ewing does not

smh.gif
at Shaq going hard at Dwight with those comments.

He knows his time is running out, he sounding like a bitter old man.

Shaq has flopped mad times through the years. He does it as a joke almost.

You can tell Dwight was mad hurt by Shaq's comments. Like he undoubtedly looks up to him and for Shaq to come out and hit him wit those barbs. Even beforeand during the game when Dwight went to the bench and Shaq tried to say something to him Dwight wouldn't even stop and listen or reciprocate. I'mguessing after the game, Shaq gave him props and told him it wasn't personal or anything.

Dwight needs to realize: A. That's Shaq. It's what he does. B. He's still your competition. All this Russell gave me advice. Ewing gives me advice.Hakeem gives me advice. #$!@+$# they're all retired bigmen. You still see Shaq twice a year now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by thekillerj23

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

An NBA Top 50 EVER player and Top 10 Center EVER being 2nd Tier. Most of the posters in here weren't even watching hoops when he was doing his thing.

Idk, I am 50 50 on that, Patrick Ewing did do his thing, but he could never come out on top in those classic 90's bulls/knicks playoffs, he did go to the finals twice but neve won, all the people the org poster stated in the 1st tier group did have rings, and Ewing does not

Exactly...compare what Ewing did to Russell/Wilt/Shaq/Kareem/Hakeem and its a no brainer. That's no knock on Pat Ewing, he's one of the all time greatsand will forever be known as a top 10 center of all time. But putting him up against the aforementioned and their IS a difference. As Prettyplaya said Ewing isgreat in his own right, but Russell/Wilt/Shaq/Kareem/Wilt/Dream/Mikan are on another level IMO

On the original topic...props to Dwight. Just go out there and play your game and let it speak for itself.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

[Mark Jackson] You're better than that Shaq [/Mark Jackson]
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

thanks for the link, first time i saw shaq's flop during this game, that was a blatant flop too! howard just running back on D after the play,very classy player

ORLANDO, Fla. - Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O'Neal arrived at Amway Arena on Tuesday wearing a customizedT-shirt with "Big Diesel Mafia" on the back and the universally recognized "S" logo on his chest. His message was as bold as that sameSuperman logo he had tattooed on his right bicep 16 years ago.

Shaq was coming home to reclaim something.

"What do you THINK that 'S' stands for?" he responded to an intentionally dumb question. "I got four [championships]. Your man hasnone."

"Your man" was Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, whose rise to fame has followed a path that O'Neal carvedin the '90s when he played here.

O'Neal arrived in Orlando on the heels of one of his most impressive back-to-back performances in several years, pounding the Toronto Raptors for 45 points and scoring 33 in a victory over the Los Angeles Lakers. Now, O'Neal wanted to take back the Superman moniker heused earlier in his career, the one Howard claimed last season when he won the All-Star dunk contest wearing a cape on his back and the logo on his chest.

But when Tuesday's game ended - a 111-99 victory by the Magic - little had been settled in the battle of past and future greats. The 23-year-old Howardtotaled 21 points, eight rebounds, one block and five turnovers. O'Neal, 36, finished with 19 points, 11 rebounds, two blocked shots and four turnovers.The standoff will have to be settled another time.

"I'm not going to get into that 'who is the real Superman?' " Howard said. "When people started calling me Superman last season,I knew there was going to be a tug of war with him. But that's why young guys come into the league. I respect my elders. I'm not going to get into awar of words with anyone."

On this night, neither Howard nor O'Neal looked very super. Shaq intimidated Howard early. Howard was too quick and athletic for him late. Both losttheir cool and were called for technical fouls in separate incidents. Both also seemed content to let their supporting casts determine the outcome.

Howard played only 30 minutes because of foul trouble throughout the game. O'Neal played only 35 because he was tired. And despite all his bluster abouthis willingness to battle Howard alone, it was Shaq who resorted to a flop late in the game against Howard.

"He always talks about people flopping against him, but only one big guy tried that tonight," Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I was shockedand disappointed. He knows what it's like. 'Let's stand up and play like men.' Our guy did that tonight."

O'Neal clearly rattled Howard at the start of both halves as the Suns set the tone quickly. Steve Nash tricked Howard into knocking him down and getting a charge on theSuns' first possession. O'Neal grabbed an offensive rebound over Howard on the same possession and blocked Howard's running hook shot at the otherend. None of Howard's first four fouls came from touching O'Neal around the basket. He wasted them in other ways, on lesser players.

At the start of the second half, O'Neal stripped Howard on his drive to the basket. Then he forced Howard to miss on the next possession.

"I think he was really trying to get into my head," Howard said.

The comparisons and contrasts between O'Neal and Howard have been obvious since the day Howard joined the NBA. Both were No. 1 draft picks by the Magic.O'Neal arrived in 1992 with considerably more fanfare after playing three years at LSU. Howard showed up in 2004, younger and straight from high school butwith similar expectations.

O'Neal was an All-Star and a major attraction when he first arrived. But he also was forced to push past Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and PatrickEwing, and it took him six years to earn first-team All-NBA honors. Howard didn't become an All-Star until his third season, but he became the All-NBAfirst-team center in his fourth, rising to the top in an era when great big men are harder to find.

More importantly, O'Neal took the Magic to the NBA Finals in his third season, eventually winning four titles with the Lakers and the Miami Heat. Howard, now in his fifth season, is hoping to lead this Magic chargeback to the Finals.

"My record speaks for itself," O'Neal said. "It doesn't matter to me who tries to take my name. We all know who the real [Superman]is. I don't have to talk about it. I'm too old to try and outscore an 18-year-old. When all is said and done, I'll have four or five NBA titles.That's a fact."

O'Neal, now in his 17th NBA season, has played well of late but clearly isn't the same dominant force he was in his younger years. Yet his pride andhis ego, buoyed by his recent surge, are as strong as they ever were. And although Howard may never score like O'Neal once did - Shaq averaged 27.2 pointsin his first four seasons with the Magic - he already is a much better defender than the original Superman ever was.

"They are two different monsters," Magic general manager Otis Smith said. "Shaq, in his day, was nothing like anything the league had everseen. Dwight is the hybrid of that. He is the next-level Shaq, a different version, a more athletic version."

How many times was Ewing 1st all-nba team?

once? twice?

Once. And he was all-NBA 2nd team six times.

But you have to look at the context. Personally, I think it's phenomenal that Ewing made 1 all-NBA 1st team and 6 all-NBA 2nd teams between 1987-1997considering what centers the league had. You have to realize that the man played during the era in league history with the strongest centers.

The year when Hakeem schooled Robinson in the playoffs and many think he should've been MVP that year in retrospect, Hakeem only made the all-NBA 3rd teamthat year. That's how stacked the center position was in the 90s. A late 80s/early 90s Ewing would be making all-NBA 1st teams left and right in thisleague..

Back
Top Bottom