Super Typhoon Haiyan - 10,000 Feared Dead

sick.gif
Jesus. RIP to those who lost their lives.

Just read an article that said officials estimate 10,000 dead. And we all know estimates are always low. Sheesh. My thoughts to all who were affected.

My mother's fam is from a province 40-60 minutes from Tacloban City. Higher elevation, but damn with something like this you never know. Communications been down since Thursday, mom is understandably worried as hell.

:smh: :x gives me a sick feeling when I think about it, so I try to block it out and pray for the best.

Same to all of you out there in the same position.

that's a really misleading title
Super Typhoon Haiyan killed at least 151 mostly in the central Philippines before the year’s most powerful cyclone moved toward Vietnam. The death toll may reach 10,000, the Associated Press cited local officials as saying.

Haiyan, with more powerful wind speeds than those of 2005’s Hurricane Katrina at 171 miles per hour (275 kph), destroyed an airport, cut power and phones lines, and flattened crops. The official death toll is 151, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council  in its 6 a.m. bulletin.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...vietnam-after-killing-138-in-philippines.html

In that comparison pic, Katrina didn't even have any grey areas. Whereas Haiyan has an insane amount of grey around the eye. Prayers go out to all of those, that storm looks angry. :frown:

God bless everyone of the victims who lost their lives.. and those who didn't, this was a tragic event. i remember the drama sandy brought along.. i could just imagine this one. Take care world.

Last edited:
I'm in Cebu, and felt like our roof was gonna fly off. We were very fortunate only to have fallen lamp poles and trees. Had wifi the entire time and only had 2 days no electricity.

Sad to say others weren't so well off. RIP and God bless the survivors. My mother in law's place Samar was hit hard. All her brothers and sisters lost their homes. So my mother in law got 50 family members in her home now.

Will talk about this for the next 3 classes in Geology.

My angus is peppered.

RIP to those lost.

Last edited:
Just the thinking is making me sick.

This is just the beginning.

Just like Haiti, the reconstruction will be a hard challenge

Last edited:
My mom told me and my bro to donate any money we were gonna spend on her for her birthday.

Shows how selfless she is

Luckily, our family over there don't live in the area that got hit hard but we also know a ton of family friends that have family over there.

Those children man, breaks my heart

A number of users have asked if we could create a group fundraising page for disaster relief efforts similar to what we established for Japan and Somalia.

It took awhile for many organizations to allow fundraisers to earmark contributions specifically for typhoon relief, rather than as unrestricted contributions to an organization's general fund.  Since time is of the essence, that's made things rather hectic.  Thankfully, Mercy Corps, the group we chose for our 2011 earthquake fundraiser for Japan, finally added Typhoon Haiyan fundraising page support today.  

I've just set ours up and it's ready to go.

You can find the page here:  https://www.mercycorps.org/people/niketalk/philippines

I don't have official badges ready yet, and I'll gladly consider any submissions from graphic designers eager to help us out on that front, but we'll likely use the same tiers as before:

$10 - 24

$25 - 99

$100+

To get credit for your donation, be sure you leave your NikeTalk screen name in a comment when you submit your contribution!!

Last edited:
Awesome meth. I know a large majority of the NT demographic is from the Phillipines so this one really hit home for a ton of people, including myself.

Let's do this guys

@Methodical Management , if you want you can lock this thread to make the donation thread the "official" thread.

welp, iono how to do the tags :lol:

Last edited:
Thoughts and prayers are with the people in the Philippines.  RIP to those that lost their lives
tired.gif
.  For the NT Fam out there, stay safe...

I thank God that both my parents' families are safe and sound, especially since my mom's side lives an hour away from Iloilo. 

My aunt is in Samar and we haven't heard from her yet. I'm really freaking out right now. I just hope she's okay. :frown:

RIP and God bless to those who lost their lives. This is extremely heartbreaking.

Glad to hear your family is safe. Hope you hear from your aunt soon.

Back
Top Bottom