Seattle SuperSonics Thread

Speaking of Nate, I was at the march this past Sunday from Othello to the Safeway in Rainier Beach and sure enough the man was there supporting with his kid, chopping it up with a lot of the OGs along the way.

An interesting note is that this almost didn't happen. Nate Robison's maternal side is mostly based in Oakland, CA.

Ridiculously athletic family. Nate Robinson, Marshawn Lynch, Josh Johnson (NFL QB) and Quentin Thomas (UNC) are all cousins.

Marshawn and Josh Johnson of course had their NFL careers but they were outstanding hoops preps too.

Nate actually moved to Oakland after his sophomore year and was supposed to play with those 3 guys at Oakland Tech but the governing body that oversees high school sports in CA were going to mandate that he sit out a year. He had to enroll at James Logan instead and played his junior season there, then moved back to Seattle for his senior year.

That Oakland Tech team was already widely considered one of the best the state of CA had ever seen. In addition to Marshawn, Josh and QT, they were led by none other than Leon Powe.

If CIF hadn't blocked Nate's transfer, it really wouldn't have been fair. :lol:
Does anyone know why Twill went to Garfield his freshman year and then transferred to Beach? I’m guessing because the Garfield coach was a clown but wasn’t sure if there was a story

I don't love the name, but I like the purpose of it. I'm sure Amazon will squeeze branding in there somehow. Bezos needs to head a group to bring a team back though. I know he doesn't care about hoops, but he needs to use that rich person flex for Seattle.

I don't love the name, but I like the purpose of it. I'm sure Amazon will squeeze branding in there somehow. Bezos needs to head a group to bring a team back though. I know he doesn't care about hoops, but he needs to use that rich person flex for Seattle.

There’s so much money here - should happen soon

Happy it's green and all that, but the name just don't ring right. Don't think anyone was surprised Amazon got the naming rights though. Didn't like the CenturyLink Field either when it changed from Qwest, but I guess I got used to it and it's fine now.

Jamal Crawford on the 7footers podcast, super entertaining guest, ton of MJ stories. Didn't know he was so tight with MJ and bron.

Last edited:
It’s about damn time. I still have a grudge with the City of Seattle killing the opportunity in SODO and wouldn’t mind if the NBA decides to sell the expansion to someone outside of the current NHL group (Bruckheimer, Leiweke, and Co.). I’m sure the revamped Seattle Colliseum (old Key Arena) will be great but I still don’t see how it’ll be a “world class” arena.

The timeline Mayor Jenny mentioned is pretty optimistic. I also think there’s a possibility the Grizzlies or Pelicans push for relocation before the league decides to expand.

Will still be bitter about Hansen getting the shakedown from the league and the city

I’m not a huge fan of Jeff Bezos, but if it’s anyone who’s capable of hijacking the City and OVG’s plans it’s him. Imagine Bezos pays the expansion fee ($2.5B straight cash homie) and builds a dope a$s arena in Bellevue, Renton, or Tukwila/Southcenter to piss off Seattle :pimp:

They could probably just use Climate Pledge - seats like 18k. Idk if the NBA would want Bezos nor would I want to cheer for a Bezos team.

Wish Gates would step up.

They could probably just use Climate Pledge - seats like 18k. Idk if the NBA would want Bezos nor would I want to cheer for a Bezos team.

Wish Gates would step up.

My concern with Climate Pledge Arena is that I’m not sure it’s even fully owned by OVG, with City of Seattle still owning a share of it. Again, with expansion that means revenue would be split amongst two additional owners, so limiting revenue by having the team in Climate Pledge could be a concern. Also, when has an NBA team played second fiddle to NHL? That would kind of be the case with Climate Pledge and OVG.

Pera and the Grizz would be interesting though. If they relocate and play temporarily at Climate Pledge then work out a situation somewhere else in Seattle or King County that would be dope. For example, he could partner with Hansen ( who has essentially been blackballed by the league and City) and build something in SODO. He’d also have the leverage of building somewhere else in King County if City of Seattle doesn’t want to play ball, it would be the City’s lost. Interesting thing about Pera is that his net worth increased last year, he looked into relocation in 2019, and bought a $3M apartment in Seattle a year or so before that. Selfishly I just want Ja Morant to be a Sonic LOL!

The city is saying all the right things so who knows how this will play out. Count me in for 4 season tickets regardless.

So who should the NBA get rid of?

Well, Minnesota's owner Glen Taylor has been trying to sell the Wolves for a while now, but the pandemic hurt his efforts coupled by the fact that he's trying to sell the team only to someone willing to keep the team in Minnesota. There are suitable buyers, but mostly those who are looking to relocate the team.

Well, Minnesota's owner Glen Taylor has been trying to sell the Wolves for a while now, but the pandemic hurt his efforts coupled by the fact that he's trying to sell the team only to someone willing to keep the team in Minnesota. There are suitable buyers, but mostly those who are looking to relocate the team.

Bout time.

Why is it so hard to build an arena in downtown seattle or near downtown seattle?

Key arena as a nba Dan via tv looks real good. Didn’t known it was small beneath the surface by nba standards. I also saw a clip where the bulls team bus during the 1997-1998 season pulled out and the bus went through the back streets of a neighborhood.

Why is it so hard to build an arena in downtown seattle or near downtown seattle?

Key arena as a nba Dan via tv looks real good. Didn’t known it was small beneath the surface by nba standards. I also saw a clip where the bulls team bus during the 1997-1998 season pulled out and the bus went through the back streets of a neighborhood.

It's all political TBH. City has to approve it and they knew that any newly built arena would conflict with the Seattle Colliseum (now Climate Pledge Arena), which was owned by them (local government) in Seattle Center. The SODO plan makes the most sense IMO and would help increase business in that area but the incompetent Seattle Council and their interests remain conflicted...

Back
Top Bottom