Supreme Court ruling: Police can take DNA from you when arrested

[COLOR=#red]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-court-dnabre9520o8-20130603,0,7238742.story[/COLOR]

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a major victory for law enforcement agencies, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that police can take a DNA sample from someone who has been arrested and charged but not convicted of a crime.

By a 5-4 vote the court reversed a decision last April by Maryland's highest court that overturned the 2010 conviction and life sentence of Alonzo Jay King for a rape committed seven years earlier.

What are your thoughts on this? If you get arrested, not convicted...police can swab you for a DNA sample.

Last edited:
sure why not?

its gonna clear up alot of wrong arrests and convictions.

if you didnt commit a crime it shouldnt be a prob to give up that swab
laugh.gif

Whatever bruh, as long as they don't find the stashbox i'm gravy....

But seriously, don't they already do something like this when you're booked??

Whatever bruh, as long as they don't find the stashbox i'm gravy....

But seriously, don't they already do something like this when you're booked??

As far as I know, you get a mugshot and fingerprinted. I've never been arrested so I wouldn't know.

Just seems sketchy to have your DNA in the system if you're not convicted of a crime. Like who's to say whoever analyzes that DNA doesn't screw up somehow and implicate you?

Just seems sketchy to have your DNA in the system if you're not convicted of a crime. Like who's to say whoever analyzes that DNA doesn't screw up somehow and implicate you?

Exactly. Im sure it will be good for the most part. But with these "crooked" officers out here.......:smh:

That seems excessively invasive. If somebody is caught in the act of something or arrested after a long investigation, that's one thing. In most cases, these people need to be processed into the system as thoroughly as possible.

Thing is, that says "arrested"...as in somebody taken in at a demonstration, some college kid after a night in the drunk tank, some 9-to-5er who got caught with a joint by the wrong officer...these are not people I'd say need to take up permanent residence in the annals of American justice. (I have a hard time believing they're going to keep the samples on a short-term basis.) Hell, you can be arrested for no reason, depending on what somebody suspects you of.

That's not even to go into the other implications of storing a vast cache of human DNA profiles...use your imagination.

It will have its' benefits to be sure, but as a compulsory and automatic process used on any individual who ever dons a pair or cuffs for any reason whatsoever, I feel it's unnecessary and dangerous.

Between all of the increasing violence and all of our rights being took away I'm feeling like we're living in Mega City One. :smh:

Cute lady cop? Then I have no problem giving her the dioxyribonucleic acid the old fashioned way.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Cops are morons, thats why they became cops...............

Morons handling DNA will lead to nothing but Lulz................

By the way, don't be surprised to see Minorities get swabbed JUST A LITTLE more than their white peers...............

Negro Database?

Sigh..............

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Cops are morons, thats why they became cops...............

Morons handling DNA will lead to nothing but Lulz................

By the way, don't be surprised to see Minorities get swabbed JUST A LITTLE more than their white peers...............

Negro Database?

Sigh..............

A lot of police departments are starting to require degrees.

Stop trying to always make this about race. Don't put your self in a bad situation and you won't have to worry about this effecting you.

Don't put your self in a bad situation and you won't have to worry about this effecting you.

:smh:

You realize forensic labs are doing this? Which requires degrees...?

From the article.

Taking a sample using a swab of the cheek is "like fingerprinting and photographing, a legitimate police booking procedure," Kennedy said.

Besides Labs have screwed up DNA results before ... now they're gonna increase their workload.

People are locked up/on death row now in part because they can't get DNA testing...

For many inmates the most important obstacle to DNA testing is the fact that in many jurisdictions officials refuse to enable inmates to have evidence tested using modern DNA testing methods, arguing that this would reopen too many old cases. Perhaps, though unstated, they fear that wrongful convictions would highlight the many "mistakes" of the criminal justice system and provide more fuel for the increasing calls for a pause in executions until we can be sure it is properly and fairly applied, and without the risk of executing the innocent.

:rolleyes

You realize forensic labs are doing this? Which requires degrees...?

This isn't a cop sitting in a room with a chemistry set.

Sounding super ignorant :lol: :smh:

I don't know why but the first thing that popped into my head was chief Wiggum :lol:

How about you don't commit crimes, and you won't have to worry about it.

I see no issue with it. This will expedite the legal process and help put bad guys back in jail. If you're guilty they'd get a warrant and make you give it to them anyway.

I'm not planning on leaving my DNA at any crime scenes any time soon or even getting arrested for that matter.

Criminals gonna criminal though... Hopefully this is used properly and helps put away people who hurt others.

And I'm really tired of dudes on here just hating on police just because they heard it in a song.  Not all cops are bad... Most of them are out there trying to do the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom