Supreme Court ruling: Police can take DNA from you when arrested

It's still too invasive.

This will only effect minorities really, so I see why it passed so hush hush.

That seems excessively invasive. If somebody is caught in the act of something or arrested after a long investigation, that's one thing. In most cases, these people need to be processed into the system as thoroughly as possible.

Thing is, that says "arrested"...as in somebody taken in at a demonstration, some college kid after a night in the drunk tank, some 9-to-5er who got caught with a joint by the wrong officer...these are not people I'd say need to take up permanent residence in the annals of American justice. (I have a hard time believing they're going to keep the samples on a short-term basis.) Hell, you can be arrested for no reason, depending on what somebody suspects you of.

That's not even to go into the other implications of storing a vast cache of human DNA profiles...use your imagination.

It will have its' benefits to be sure, but as a compulsory and automatic process used on any individual who ever dons a pair or cuffs for any reason whatsoever, I feel it's unnecessary and dangerous.

Repped.

just more new world order ********

things are ramping up

This! And people keep sitting by quietly because the correct letter appears before those names. Giving up right after right until there is nothing left for the government to take. Could've sworn they work for us.

I'm a little conflicted on this....what constitutes a "serious crime"? That can be pretty nebulous depending on the circumstances, people prosecuting, location, race, etc.... then again theres so many people who have been exonerated by modern DNA evidence so maybe this would lead to less false imprisonments for innocent people. They really need to establish criteria though for what crimes would fall under this ruling. And there's a lot of potential for misuse of this as well

Last edited:
In a major victory for law enforcement agencies, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that police can take a DNA sample from someone who has been arrested and charged [COLOR=#red]but not convicted [/COLOR]of a crime.

Aka EVERYONE since nobody gets convicted by a judge/jury on the spot. :smh:

Get arrested for an expired insurance card/parking tickets/or something dumb like disturbing the peace and they got your DNA to do whatever they want with it :x

In a major victory for law enforcement agencies, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that police can take a DNA sample from someone who has been arrested and charged [COLOR=#red]but not convicted [/COLOR]of a crime.

Aka EVERYONE since nobody gets convicted by a judge/jury on the spot. :smh:

Get arrested for an expired insurance card/parking tickets/or something dumb like disturbing the peace and they got your DNA to do whatever they want with it :x

There doesn't even have to be a reason for the arrest. They arrest you, you go in front of a judge the next morning after they have your DNA and get released without so much as an apology or explanation. The circuit court in Texas actually ruled that police can use a syringe to take your blood for a DNA sample or alcohol test on the side of the road without even arresting you.

well if you didnt do anything to begin with. you should be fine

Yeah no one has ever been wrongly arrested or convicted.

Black man racially profiled and arrested while test-driving a BMW

Jon-Christopher Sowells was looking to purchase a new BMW and became a victim of racial profiling. According to reports, Sowells decided to test-drive a BMW in Snellville, Ga. But moments after Sowells drove out of the Philips Motors parking lot, a police officer began following him.

Once Sowells stopped, the police officer questioned him about why the vehicle didn’t have tags. Sowells told the police officer that he was test-driving the BMW and presented him with a document to back up his claim. However, the officer didn’t know what it was and refused to look at it.

The officer then became belligerent and told Sowells to get out of the car. The car dealer was eventually contacted and verified that Sowells had permission to test-drive the car. However, the police officer continued his pettiness and decided to arrest Sowells anyway. Sowells, who had never been arrested before, was charged with obstruction

http://rollingout.com/culture/black-man-racially-profiled-and-arrested-while-test-driving-a-bmw/

How about you don't commit crimes, and you won't have to worry about it.

Wait, what?

Don't commit crimes? We have people on the streets getting arrested for being people. How about that man that was arrested for being next to the lake in Boston. Though people went there every day, he was arrested and thought to be a terrorist because of his race. There was absolutely no evidence to prove it. Or racial profiling in general?

Not to stick wrongful arrests into just the category of race, because that is far from the truth. It's just a popular, and relatable example for a lot of us. Possibly including yourself.

What I am saying though is that the police abuse their power. You cannot just say "oh hey, just don't get arrested."

Wait, what?

Don't commit crimes? We have people on the streets getting arrested for being people. How about that man that was arrested for being next to the lake in Boston. Though people went there every day, he was arrested and thought to be a terrorist because of his race. There was absolutely no evidence to prove it. Or racial profiling in general?

Not to stick wrongful arrests into just the category of race, because that is far from the truth. It's just a popular, and relatable example for a lot of us. Possibly including yourself.

What I am saying though is that the police abuse their power. You cannot just say "oh hey, just don't get arrested."

Okay, and if you're not doing anything wrong, then what's the problem with them taking your DNA? I mean, you could have them NOT take a DNA sample, thus hindering the investigation by withholding evidence that could exonerate you.

Wait, what?

Okay, and if you're not doing anything wrong, then what's the problem with them taking your DNA? I mean, you could have them NOT take a DNA sample, thus hindering the investigation by withholding evidence that could exonerate you.

I am wrongfully arrested, so they take my DNA and out it on file.

That's fair >D

With all the incompetent people in EVERY position, mistakes will happen. I don't want my DNA getting confused with that of a pedophile, rapist, murderer, burglar, etc. All it takes is a lazy mistake by someone (mis)handling the DNA or database to ruin your life. Meanwhile, the only reason my DNA was in the system was for let's say wrongful arrest.

You know some police are gonna abuse this. Take you in for questioning (not an arrest), take your DNA. Bam you're in the system.

Last edited:
There doesn't even have to be a reason for the arrest. They arrest you, you go in front of a judge the next morning after they have your DNA and get released without so much as an apology or explanation. The circuit court in Texas actually ruled that police can use a syringe to take your blood for a DNA sample or alcohol test on the side of the road without even arresting you.

What is the case called?

What is the case called?

My bad, I had the cases confused. It is a case in Missouri.

Missouri v. McNeely

http://www.theshapirolawfirm.com/Ar...thout-a-warrant-Supreme-Court-to-decide.shtml

"In Texas, a DWI suspect's blood may be drawn without a warrant for various DWI offenses such as third offense drunk driving and intoxication assault or manslaughter cases."

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Cops are morons, thats why they became cops...............

Morons handling DNA will lead to nothing but Lulz................

By the way, don't be surprised to see Minorities get swabbed JUST A LITTLE more than their white peers...............

Negro Database?

Sigh..............

A lot of police departments are starting to require degrees.

Stop trying to always make this about race. Don't put your self in a bad situation and you won't have to worry about this effecting you

-You can be arrested for any moving traffic offense. Most cops will not arrest you for these offenses but they have the power to, which was granted by the Supreme Court of the United States. That includes speeding over 10 mph, rolling through a stop sign, changing lanes w/o signaling. Have you never done any of these things? ANY? If so, you need to stop putting yourself in situations in which you can be arrested.

-Studies have shown that blacks and whites use drugs and deal drugs in the same percentages. Yet, prisoners who are convicted of drug offenses are predominately black. Of course this has nothing to do w/ race. Shame on anyone for even mentioning it. Lets go back to our imaginary world and believe that police don't target certain people.

-The major problem that I see is not the DNA taking, b/c it's simply a cheek swab. Its that they can take the DNA from anyone who is arrested for a "serious crime." What is a serious crime? Is shoplifting a serious crime? How about fraud? Its very open to interpretation. What is going to happen is that people will be charged for more serious crimes then what they have actually done so the cops can get DNA.
EXAMPLE: I had a client who was charged w/ theft, robbery, assault, battery, evading the police and resisting arrest. Sounds serious right? He went into a 7-11 and put a bottle of 3 dollar wine in his jacket and walked out. The crazy cashier chased him out and hit him in the head w/ a wrench. Guy was all bloody and pushed her off of him b/c she kept swinging and ran. He was found not guilty of all those b.s. charges and he was guilty of theft. Had to spend money on lawyers, lost his job, was locked up for months awaiting the trial. Expect more **** like this.

What happens when people are overcharged they are guilty of something. They then take an awful deal b/c they are facing 320808540983542 years. Sometimes pleading guilty to crap they didn't do.

Last edited:
I don't like this, I don't like this at all.

I'm not trying to sound cynical, but I feel like we as the American people are gradually and quietly losing a lot of our rights.

As of late a lot of Obama's decisions, mainly decisions on who gets killed by drones, are being made completely in the dark, beyond the reach of civilian knowledge.

Makes me nervous man :smh:

Back
Top Bottom