Sustainability in footwear and fashion

Testing the waters here. This thread could be a total flop. Just trying to fire up a discussion about sustainability amongst sneakerheads because no such thread exists.

In my younger years (I'm a wiser 47 years old), I gave zero F's about sustainability. Granted, people seem much more knowledgeable nowadays. I'm also at the age where my 20+ year old sneaker collection is crumbling before my eyes. In some cases a shoe like the Air Jordan 3 can be resoled with a Flight 89 donor, but in other cases I just can't justify dropping $50-$100+ on a donor, if a suitable donor even exists. You can get Dunk/AJ1-like midsoles from Etsy. Otherwise, on IG I've seen some replace the sole on an AM95 with a generic Vibram sole, so you get something of a Frankenstein-shoe. Thoughts on this? Should I just give up on my crumbling sneaker collection and put them in a landfill?

By any chance, did you happen to share pictures of your collection in the Sneaker Showcase section of this platform? I would be interesting in checking them out if available.

If you plan on wearing any of the older kicks, I’d say the re-sole option could be a worthwhile investment. I’ve seen some great work on IG and it’s a part of the new era of sneaker collecting that I find particularly cool. Think back to when we first discovered that sea glow worked on clear soles. How many of us had given up on a pair of 11s simply because we didn’t know what could be done to restore them to their former glory? Well, now a days we have some talented folks out there that are able to install a sole that’ll keep your shoes wearable for years to come.

Tldr
If you want to wear the kicks, get them re-soled.
If you’re cool with them crumbling, let time do its bidding. Maybe get rid of some to people looking to collect older pairs.

Yea i've given the resoling some thought, but in my particular case the souls are for a Red Olympic dunk that has a very particular sole.

Theres a guy on fb watch who does this, he admits he spends more than the shoe is worth often to restore then but he just does it for the love. Ill see if i can find him.

By any chance, did you happen to share pictures of your collection in the Sneaker Showcase section of this platform? I would be interesting in checking them out if available.
Have not. I might have some that others might find interesting, but you won't find any early Jordan OGs. Maybe I'll share sometime.

Been interested in upcycling sneakers for a few years, so just in for that-- if thread makes it to that
A few people on IG like lunusnutland and nike_server post some great examples of upcycled sneakers with Vibram soles. Another guy from Indonesia whose name I can't recall post turns a lot of beat Converse or Vans into boots.

Do you plan to wear them or just to look at them?
My collection isn't something most sneakerheads would want to look at, save for an DS OG Nike Air Strong II that I had every intention of wearing when I bought them in 2003. I sold all my OG Air Jordans before they crumbled. What I'm talking about are just regular 15-year old retros with uppers in good condition that would be wasteful to throw away. Shoes like Nike Darwins, Shox R4s, Air Trainer SCs or Trainer 1's and other assorted Air Maxes with crumbled midsoles. Not really cost effective to buy another shoe to use as a donor and even that's still wasteful because now you're left with another upper. So until Nike starts selling spare midsoles, I've taken an interest to upcycling shoes with soles that are readily available: Vibrams or generic Dunk/Jordan 1 soles from Etsy. Also, the Vibram midsole seem like they would outlast any replacement Air midsole.

Haven't starting any yet. Got few projects to complete before I can start this one. Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has taken this approach to resoling.

Not necessarily the topic of the thread, but imma cop-- see what's up

Not really cost effective to buy another shoe to use as a donor and even that's still wasteful because now you're left with another upper. So until Nike starts selling spare midsoles, I've taken an interest to upcycling shoes with soles that are readily available:

Depends on the value of the shoe and condition of the donor. The left over parts can be reused too.

The shoe parts exist the problem is sourcing them separately

Back
Top Bottom