T-Mac was almost a Laker in 1997

As a few of you know I work for the Texas Legends, Mavs D-League team, in the basketball ops dept..
While on a recent road trip I had the luxury of talking basketball w/ our coach Del Harris for 4 hours..It was cool listening to his stories about coaching Shaq and a young Kobe and hearing how he dealt w/ their personalities etc, the Kobe air ball fiasco in Utah, Magic's last comeback and watching Dirk develop over the years as a Mav's assistant coach..

He mentioned to me that during the 1997 draft the Lakers had a deal in place that would've sent Eddie Jones to Toronto for the pick that would've brought T-Mac to LA. At that time the high school to pro's thing was still pretty new and management decided against it because they did not want two teenagers and Eddie was coming off a good season..

It made me think, if that deal would have went through how do you think it would've turned out? Would LA have been an even stronger dynasty, or do you think T-Mac would've left for the money just like he left Toronto? Could Shaq have co-existed w/ Kobe and T-Mac? Would the Lakers management have been more patient w/ him and would he have benefitted from a mature Kobe and have multiple championship rings?

Crazy to think if that could have went down. I think with the addition of t Mac they would have less chance of winning rather than more.

Wouldn't have been enough basketballs on the court for that
laugh.gif

Wouldn't have been a good thing. More egos clashing

They struck gold in that trade for Kobe but T-mac would have been something. Eddie jones was always one of my favorites and I think he got a raw deal, but that's just me.

Kobe and TMac would not have existed and one would have eventually been dealt, good problem to have when it comes to having surplus talent.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Yo, keep us informed on how Shawne Williams and Dominique Jones are doing!

They dominated on Wednesday night...DoJo will be back w/ the Mavs after this weekend's home stand..Sean is a different story.

One thing's for damn sure, T-Mac would've made it past the first round.

Wouldn't have worked out. T Mac left a perfect situation with his own flesh and blood in Toronto to become the main player. His ego was bigger than Kobes if you ask me.

Glad that didn't happen, or T-Mac probably wouldn't still be one of my favorite players today.

T-mac is my favorite player.
One of these two would have been traded.
Maybe Tracy would have won a ring or something.

He would've left LA just like he left Tor. I don't see how T-Mac and Kobe + Shaq would've worked out when he couldn't work it out with his own cousin. I just don't see how the on the court play would've worked/survived with young emerging superstars.

Only way that changes is if he bonded quickly with Shaq making Kobe the odd man out. Looking at Kobe's personality and what's said about him, in is quest to be the best I could see him leaving to Philly or NY to try and get it done on his own.

Imagining all 3 together and no trade at all for like at least 7 years I think they would've got their 4peat but there'd be a ton more looming questions over Kobe's head. Would be a lot more ppl saying T-Mac > Kobe too.

Originally Posted by WhatsLosinLike

Wouldn't have been enough basketballs on the court for that
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry.  Wasnt laughing at the point you were making....only the irony between it and your favorite team.

Back
Top Bottom