Take me to school vol. NT, I'm thinking about joining a fraternity.

iblink

Banned
I've been thinking about ways to network during college and one of the best things I could think of was to join a frat. I've met tons of new people andhave done my share of partying last year, so I can honestly say I'm not looking for socializing aspect of joining, but rather meeting people who areestablished and can help me get my foot in the door.

Is anyone on NT a member of a frat? What are some good ones to pledge to?

I'd also like to look into that, I'm going to be a freshman at SJSU this Fall and like to know the difference between which to pledge.
(Sorry, not meaning to thread jack)

Which orgs are you thinking about joining IFC or NPHC, business or academic? Totally different pledge processes and ideals.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Which orgs are you thinking about joining IFC or NPHC? Totally different pledge processes.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I want to join one that doesn't have an od hazing process.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by iBlink

Which orgs are you thinking about joining IFC or NPHC? Totally different pledge processes.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I want to join one that doesn't have an od hazing process.
grin.gif

he's basically asking if you want to join a predominately white one or a predominately black one

I'd rather join one that has a descent mix of people. The world isn't black or white so I don't want to limit myself to the interaction I'llget from the frat experience.

I go to Augusta State Univ. but I'll be transferring in the Spring.

Can I pledge at one school and keep my membership if I live in another state?

Ifc = mostly white nphc= mostly black. If u want a mix, look into nalfo orgs. There are multicultural orgs like sigma lambda beta and such.

Yea. If your initiated into a fraternity youll always be in that fraternity. I never understood the national benefits of being in a fraternity just because Ifeel like the chapter is what is important not necessarily the national organization.

You're gonna have to join a predominately white or black one ... That's just how greek life is.

Originally Posted by D723

You're gonna have to join a predominately white or black one ... That's just how greek life is.

I don't want to be a token

but I don't want to be just another face in the crowd either.

Originally Posted by D723

Pretty much, and "multi-cultural" at my school means asian.

Anyway, I don't advise picking an org because of what the predominant race is. Pick an org that upholds your personal beliefs. Im a jamaican in apredominantly latin sorority, although we have almost every ethnicity in our sorority. But I love what we stand for and wouldn't change my decision foranything. Don't look at it as being a "token" or "another face in the crowd." It is a lifelong decision, pick something u will want torepresent for life.

truthfully, i think pledging a frat is a good idea from a social standpoint. last year i pledged pi kappa alpha at Syracuse and i really expanded my group offriends from like 5 to 15.

during the pledging/hazing process the school found out because some kid broke his collarbone and dislocated his shoulder. so the pledging stopped.

i didnt wanan repledge this year but i still have my group of friends and am still friends witht he kids in the frat.

it def. can help you get a foot in the door. some of the kids in the frat have some connections and it potentially is a very smart move if your lookingspecifically to get connected and not for social aspect.

during the pledging/hazing process the school found out because some kid broke his collarbone and dislocated his shoulder. so the pledging stopped.
I remember that.

Why Pike though? You didn't get any other bids? Sketchy house.

The Q's wanted me to join in the fall semester. Kappas in the Spring.

I want to join one that has a lot of recognition also.
You also gotta take into account the stigma w/ the frats. I don't know about any other school but the Ques at my school are coo, down toearth, freaks and act like tru "dogs" the Kappas are some pretty boys and act a lil feminine. All frats have some type of hazing process thoughit's illegal. U have to decide whether or not u want to go thru all of that to be apart of the organization. Paper pledges are frowned upon anddisassociated. U also have to make sure u have the finances to remain active

I personally can't join a frat. I have a major authority problem and I refuse to let somebody, especially a peer treat me like *+*% to prove that I'm"worthy"

If an D9 org has shown interest in you, you never mention that.

Join one that has a lot of recognition? Joining for the wrong reasons.

Why not?

And how is wanting to join one that is nationally recognized considdered as joining for the wrong reason? Like I said, the main reason I'm interested is tonetwork and get my foot in the door. I could care less about the partying and stuff. IMO, joining for the party aspect is joining for the wrong reason.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

You also gotta take into account the stigma w/ the frats. I don't know about any other school but the Ques at my school are coo, down to earth, freaks and act like tru "dogs" the Kappas are some pretty boys and act a lil feminine. All frats have some type of hazing process though it's illegal. U have to decide whether or not u want to go thru all of that to be apart of the organization. Paper pledges are frowned upon and disassociated. U also have to make sure u have the finances to remain active

I personally can't join a frat. I have a major authority problem and I refuse to let somebody, especially a peer treat me like *+*% to prove that I'm "worthy"
So long as it's nothing extensive as drinking toilet water or other vile and despicable acts, I think I can manage.

Back
Top Bottom