Taking a trip to Toronto, looking for advice.

Me and most likely 3 of my boys (Might only be 2 plus me) are looking to take a weekend trip up to Toronto for my b-day weekend.  Yankees are playing the Blue Jays on my b-day (June 5th), and we're going to make a mini getaway out of it.  Mainly looking for advice on the best way for us to get there (Cheapest as well, but we're not looking for a 10 hour trip each way).

We're looking at either booking a round trip from JFK straight to Toronto, or fly to Buffalo, and either take Amtrak, or rent a car to cross the boarder?  Anyone have experience which is the best route to go, cheapest way in the end?  I'm looking at Avis and there's a $35 surcharge per day for someone between 21-24 to rent a car in NYS.

Also does anyone know the area, or been there?  We're looking to stay within walking distance from the stadium.  Cheaper the better, we won't be staying in the room at all.  What's some good spots to party, clubs, bars, lounges, food?  3 of us are single and just looking to enjoy ourselves while we are there.

Any help is much appreciated. 

never been. have heard great things, i really want to go.
i have heard its beautiful and that Caribana (sp?) is awesome.

from what i know about amtrak, is that amtrak is probably the MORE expensive option.
good luck, hope you have fun and please post pics when you get back.

forget Amtrak.

Take JetBlue to Buffalo then Greyhound to Downtown Toronto (that's their main terminal). Getting to the Rogers Centre is easy from the downtown core.

The closest hotel from Rogers Centre is pretty expensive. I say look around the Greyhound Terminal because there's several hotels around that area.

Nightlife is aplenty. You won't get bored.

Enjoy your stay in our beautiful city
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

from what i know about amtrak, is that amtrak is probably the MORE expensive option.

im bout to go this yr? NT summit at Caribana
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

if your balling just fly straight in to the Toronto Island airport (Porter Airline), if not go with the aforementioned fly to buffalo and then Greyhound option. Priceline a hotel in the downtown core, you should be able to get a 4* for around $70 a night (i always manage to get the Richmond St Hilton for like 60). chances are your hotel will be within walking distance of all desirable downtown nightlife/shopping/restaurants/and the rogers centre. throw in the odd cab ride here and there and you should be set.

there is a pretty good thread about this from a couple weeks back...i'll try to find it.

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

im bout to go this yr? NT summit at Caribana
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
NT summit at Caribana would be the real life version of the "Post Pics of Cute Girls" threads. Like a beasting frenzy.

Appreciate all the tips in this thread. Sorry I didn't notice the other thread, been so busy during the week barley on NT like I use to be.

Just 2 questions, any recommendations on which spots to check out party wise in that area?

Also do you know which terminal is the one in the downtown area near the Rogers Centre? This is their list on the site:
Toronto
Toronto Airport Term 3(B)
Toronto Front Street
Toronto Pearson Intl Air(B)
Toronto Royal York Hotel(B)
Toronto U & Ave Rd Stops(B)
Toronto U & Elm(B)
Toronto U & Wellington

After googling maps seems like it's front street just wanted to double check?
Actually they both seem to be the same distance from the Rogers Centre, but I'm guessing Front Street is what is considered Downtown.

how old are u? u can get into the clubs at 19 here.

also, price line your hotel as someone said. if you're lucky, you'll get the renaissance hotel which actually overlooks the rogers center field (the big glass windows over center field. that way you can potentially catch some extra games as part of your hotel stay.

caribana starts late july so you won't catch that BUT there are still alotta random street festivals going on. i'm pretty sure thats gay pride week lol

Just returned from my trip to Toronto today. Beautiful city, beautiful people. I was surprised how diverse the city was. i stayed in downtown at the Sheraton (expensive) but it was worth it. Uf you're looking for clubs to go to, there's a lot on Richmond street in downtown. Yonge street off queen street has a lot of entertainment...reminds me of NY. The Niagara falls tour was pretty good also.

We're all 21-23 so getting in won't be a problem. Did a google search on the club district and it seems like everything is between King & Queen Street. Probably end up walking up and down and see which places appeal to us. We're all more into Hip-Hop over House music. It's good also as that area is right by the Rogers Centre as well. I truthfully don't even care if we end up in a Motel
laugh.gif
. Just as long as it's clean and it's a place to crash for the two nights we're there, and it's as close to that area as possible (walking distance would be great especially when we're intoxicated. Although I'm sure getting lost in a foreign town would have it's perks
laugh.gif
) that's all that matters.

If anyone has any specific spots though for for clubs/bars/lounges/ and food wise I would def love to hear them. Not going to want to eat some random fast food, or room service while we're are there.

There's a bunch of high capacity clubs around the King area. I don't like the ones @ Queen because they could get packed so early unless you got a connect inside/guest list. As for HipHop music, I dont know. I guess those Flow 935 sponsored events would play some HH/Reggae.

Can't really call Toronto a "foreign" town, we speak English too
wink.gif
Friendly people.

Seriously, for 2 nights, go to a Motel if you want to save money. I'm personally against staying at a hotel for 3 nights> , but that's just me.

honestly dude, hit me up a day or two before you come and i'll help you out with the clubs and get you on guest list to what ever's hot at the time.

if you want some cheap, good food, hit up SALAD KING (thai food) which is right across from the big footlocker at yonge/dundas square (toronto's version of times square as dude above mentioned). you'll get a delicious filling meal for under $8 and also its right by Ryerson University as well so you might meet some students who are there for the summer.

dundas square is like 10 minutes walk from the rogers center.

also make sure to get some good west-indian food at ISLAND FOODS which has two locations, one by king and dufferin and the other near the University of Toronto at the grange food market

but just walk up and down king st west and queen st west and you'll find hundreds of restaurants. just pick one, they're all pretty good.

lastly, make sure you hop on the ferry on lakeshore and take a trip to toronto island if the weather is nice.

as for clubbing, the club district (richmond/king/queen) anything in there is solid. im not much of a clubber myself but all my friends go there.
theres also a place thats becoming popular called the drake hotel on queen street west, google it and you'll find out stuff about it
as for a bar, my FAVORITE bar in toronto is called the madison avenue pub. 15 min streetcar ride from the clubbing district but it's sick. google madison avenue pub.
enjoy your stay in my hometown

Originally Posted by YuraS718

Appreciate all the tips in this thread. Sorry I didn't notice the other thread, been so busy during the week barley on NT like I use to be.

Just 2 questions, any recommendations on which spots to check out party wise in that area?

Also do you know which terminal is the one in the downtown area near the Rogers Centre? This is their list on the site:
Toronto
Toronto Airport Term 3(B)
Toronto Front Street
Toronto Pearson Intl Air(B)
Toronto Royal York Hotel(B)
Toronto U & Ave Rd Stops(B)
Toronto U & Elm(B)
Toronto U & Wellington

Actually they both seem to be the same distance from the Rogers Centre, but I'm guessing Front Street is what is considered Downtown.
those are fairly close to the rogers center

This past weekend has been off the chain.
Perfect weather = women in short skirts.

Toronto women > ___

Originally Posted by YuraS718

Toronto U & Elm(B)

That's our Main Terminal (Bay Street Terminal) which is at Bay & Dundas. I don't know why the listings os the web aren't more detailed it's confusing for those who don't really know. Anyways you picked a good time to travel. I always tell people if they are to come here anywhere from May-October is good, Summer being the best. There should be a lot of Shows/Events going on during that time.

My only concern is I don't remember when the G5 World Summit is happening w/ Obama being in town. We're hosting it this Summer and if it's around the time your here it's going to be a %*+#+ moving around in the city. Especially near the Hotel you choose.

Back
Top Bottom